Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Which one did you get?

Pfizer-BioNTech
32%
Moderna
15%
Janssen (J&J)
6%
Oxford-AstraZeneca
29%
Sinopharm/Sinovac
No votes
Sputnik-V
No votes
Not vaccinated yet
18%

Total votes : 34

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Postby LMAO » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:23 am

PRISS, I think you'll enjoy this one: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... na/609493/
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:29 am

Jedi wrote:"When will this end? When will things go back to normal?"

Is anyone unnerved by how little these two questions are discussed in the media?

We all know that flattening the curve will take a few weeks. But that's only the first step. There's nothing stopping this virus from exploding again after you remove the lockdown.

Best case scenario: We have a vaccine in 18 months. But the economy can't survive lockdowns every 2 months for 18 months? How do we get there?

Nightmare scenario: What if the vaccine isn't as effective as we hope or it just doesn't work at all? Could this virus stay and completely change our culture? Are we looking at a pre and post corona way of life?

Is this being overdramatic? Probably. But nobody thought this virus could bring the world to its knees when it first appeared in China, yet here we are with half the globe in lockdown.

I just wish that this topic was discussed more by experts. The fact that it isn't suggests to me that nobody really knows what will happen.

I think in that case, the only option is to go herd immunity like the Black Death and the OG H1N1.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Jedi » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:41 am

LMAO wrote:
I think in that case, the only option is to go herd immunity like the Black Death and the OG H1N1.

But H1N1 hasn't been stopped by herd immunity, has it? It has many different strands and it still comes back seasonally, but it's just much less severe than COVID19 so we don't really care.

Having a seasonal COVID19 would be catastrophic.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby dc16 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:41 am

Jedi wrote:
LMAO wrote:

But H1N1 hasn't been stopped by herd immunity, has it? It has many different strands and it still comes back seasonally, but it's just much less severe than COVID19 so we don't really care.

We survive this first larger wave and plan for gradual release of the population that allows for the health services to recover.

I saw it best described as a series of smaller controlled waves that continue for a period of time until we get a vaccine or achieve a higher level of ‘herd immunity’. Antibody tests will help In this respect and we may see the fatality rate or severity of the virus drop as we begin to understand the numbers involved. China reintegrating back into society and the approach Sweden has taken will give us a better understanding of how this will all work and the approach to take.

Like you said. Hopefully it doesn’t mutate or change each year and we have to combat this along with other seasonal flu and Illness. Talk of this ending quickly is premature, we’ve probably got another 3-4 weeks at least of lockdown here in the UK and then everything changes. Can’t see anyone being too keen to take up a trip on a cruise liner anytime soon. :doh:

The Pat Rice approach sounds like bliss though. :cloud9:
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:10 am

Jedi wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Correct, but that particular strain of H1N1 was stopped with herd immunity—why I singled that specific one out and not all H1N1. The first flu vaccine came 20 years after the initial 1918 outbreak. And it was 90 years before we'd have another major worldwide H1N1 outbreak. We might have another situation with this coronavirus where something similar occurs and it won't be a major problem for a long time after the initial wave(s).

For mutations:
The virus causing COVID-19, Thielen said, does not appear to be mutating as fast.

"When this virus was first sequenced in China, that information was helpful in starting the process to develop a vaccine," Thielen explained. "What we're doing informs whether or not the virus is mutating away from that original sequence, and how quickly. Based on the mutation rate, early data indicates that this would likely be a single vaccine rather than one that needs to be updated each year, like the flu shot."

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/30/covid-19 ... equencing/
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Rockape » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:28 am

Jedi wrote:
LMAO wrote:

You’re right to be concerned about this, but possibly not a good idea to think too far ahead, as all it creates is anxiety and depression. We just need to take it one day at a time.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Massa » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:08 am

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote: The boats are ready, the dogs are ready, the ice is off the lakes and spring is about here. We are going to load up in about two or three weeks and camp on the boat (HMS Charlie George) for about half the summer two weeks at a trot. We have 1200 miles of shoreline and hardly anyone there on that reservoir. Salmon, walleye, pike and perch to eat. Ought to poach a deer I suppose? Full on mountain man mode...sort of but with satellite TV. I am such a pussy. :lol: Garfield County MT which has maybe 900 people in a place the size of many states. I can not think of better place to be.

Room for one more boss? Lol
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:52 am

Jedi wrote:
LMAO wrote:

As harsh as it sounds .............

The Governments of the world simply can't afford to run our nations without taxes and if people don't go back to work within 2-3 months businesses will shut, people will lose their jobs etc etc.

People will die if that happens but our economies can only take so much so what other alternative is there? what I do know is vaccines are being funded to the max roundabout now because which ever company produces it will become billionaires over night, this virus is costing nations millions if not billions, the demand for a solution is at the top of every gov'ts list globally.

What will come out of this though is businesses may begin to ramp up emergency set ups for more of their staff to be able to work from home, I know my company is looking to set us up at home if this continues.

Will be worth it for them to be prepared for any future events like these so they can do an immediate switch over.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:39 am

Jedi wrote:"When will this end? When will things go back to normal?"

Is anyone unnerved by how little these two questions are discussed in the media?

We all know that flattening the curve will take a few weeks. But that's only the first step. There's nothing stopping this virus from exploding again after you remove the lockdown.

Best case scenario: We have a vaccine in 18 months. But the economy can't survive lockdowns every 2 months for 18 months? How do we get there?

Nightmare scenario: What if the vaccine isn't as effective as we hope or it just doesn't work at all? Could this virus stay and completely change our culture? Are we looking at a pre and post corona way of life?

Is this being overdramatic? Probably. But nobody thought this virus could bring the world to its knees when it first appeared in China, yet here we are with half the globe in lockdown.

I just wish that this topic was discussed more by experts. The fact that it isn't suggests to me that nobody really knows what will happen.

you want normality.

the virus makes the timeline. punto.

yes nobody can predict the endpoint before hand (when will things go back to normal) cos its NEW...

likelihood of vaccine about as effective as flu is pretty good, imho.

imagine the carnage if they didnt do separating? and ask yourself which is preferable...

and you are wrong. experts knew. gates knew. the people who did mock scenarios knew. but...

people in actual power dont like to listen, in case you have not noticed. :BangHead:

stay safe. stay home. :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:55 am

Massa wrote:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote: The boats are ready, the dogs are ready, the ice is off the lakes and spring is about here. We are going to load up in about two or three weeks and camp on the boat (HMS Charlie George) for about half the summer two weeks at a trot. We have 1200 miles of shoreline and hardly anyone there on that reservoir. Salmon, walleye, pike and perch to eat. Ought to poach a deer I suppose? Full on mountain man mode...sort of but with satellite TV. I am such a pussy. :lol: Garfield County MT which has maybe 900 people in a place the size of many states. I can not think of better place to be.

when a bukowski character was asked if hated people?
"no, but i seem to feel better when they're not around.

liking solitude and being a misanthropist are not equivalent. :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuXpD3xDwvU
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gooney » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:53 pm

You gotta hand it to the torries, these scumbags are consistent. The way they used the pl players to turn people against them to rally support while not saying a word about their billionaire finders. Working class rich athletes are always their nr 1 target. If I was a PL player I wouldn’t take. Pay cut unless these politicians do and campaign for politicians to d it. This is a pr war. The economy is hitting the fan and politicians are out there doing their best to look good
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm

gooney wrote:You gotta hand it to the torries, these scumbags are consistent. The way they used the pl players to turn people against them to rally support while not saying a word about their billionaire finders. Working class rich athletes are always their nr 1 target. If I was a PL player I wouldn’t take. Pay cut unless these politicians do and campaign for politicians to d it. This is a pr war. The economy is hitting the fan and politicians are out there doing their best to look good

He was good at Liverpool but went downhill at Chelsea.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:23 pm

Guardiolas mum has died of corona virus
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:47 pm

Ach wrote:Guardiolas mum has died of corona virus