Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Which one did you get?

Pfizer-BioNTech
32%
Moderna
15%
Janssen (J&J)
6%
Oxford-AstraZeneca
29%
Sinopharm/Sinovac
No votes
Sputnik-V
No votes
Not vaccinated yet
18%

Total votes : 34

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Postby Dejan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:06 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Dejan wrote:Because it needs to be tested first on a great scale.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

On who?
Not on me. Im not a scientific experiment.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:13 pm

Angelito wrote:
Dr. Fauci went on to say, “If you look anecdotally there is no question that there are a considerable number of individuals who have a post-viral syndrome that really in many respects can incapacitate them for weeks and weeks following so-called recovery and clearing of the virus….you can see people who’ve recovered who really do not get back to normal that they have things that are highly suggestive of myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome. Brain fog, fatigue, and difficulty in concentrating so this is something we really need to seriously look at because it very well might be a post-viral syndrome associated with covid-19.”

https://www.meaction.net/2020/07/10/dr- ... omyelitis/

Yes! CFS is very real and associated with viral infections but usually in conjunction with another agent or unknown condition . Lots of research to be done still but at least the stigma attached to CFS and ME is being dispelled.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:11 pm

So the cities all around the world are going back in to lockdown

This could be the end of human civilisation as we know it
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Jedi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Ach wrote:So the cities all around the world are going back in to lockdown

There's nothing to suggest a vaccine won't end this so hopefully not.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:40 pm

What is the survival rate? Is it still in the upper 90's?

With the way things are now, I would imagine that eventually most people will get it and recover. Then a vaccine will come and hopefully that will prevent any future issues.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:08 am

StLGooner wrote:What is the survival rate? Is it still in the upper 90's?

With the way things are now, I would imagine that eventually most people will get it and recover. Then a vaccine will come and hopefully that will prevent any future issues.

I'm afraid it's not as simple.

Covid-19 is unprecedented because of the behavior of the virus. It's a RNA virus, which makes it a single-strand virus (although there are double-strand RNA viruses). Like RNA viruses, it mutates really quickly, so to get a vaccine, there needs to be much research in RNA vaccination, which has lagged significantly behind DNA viruses and vaccinations against it.

In simple terms, vaccinations against RNA viruses have been rarely tried in humans, so scientists are in unprecedented territory here. Since Covid-19 is a virus that comprises the autoimmune system, the RNA vaccine, if not tested and authenticated thoroughly, could lead to other major autoimmune, immune, and respiratory-related complications in users.

That's why we're in a precarious situation. At this stage, we are seeing the most extensive set of research being conducted on RNA vaccinology.

The sad part is that if the powers that be had provided funding for research into RNA vaccinations earlier, we might have seen a breakthrough. But almost every major economy in the world didn't care, or would rather spend money on other issues.

This virus also has long-term effects and one isn't sure, in layman terms, if the offspring of a Covid-19 survivor could be born with horns, or a tail, or some genetic modification. I'm using hyperbole of course.

There's little data on the long-term and genetic affects of Covid-19. That's a different area altogether.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:20 am

Scientists are trying to develop a vaccine against Covid-19 coronavirus..... bare in mind, the common cold is a coronavirus or more specifically a shitload of different coronaviruses that change and mutate regularly.

Do we have a vaccine against the cold? No of course we don't. How valuable would such a vaccine be? It would be worth ££££££. Everyone would want it.

Soooo, we have to be realistic and say we might not get a vaccine at all. It seems more likely that the solution will be to develop better treatments so that the death rate is further reduced. We might have to just live with it..... also bare in mind that some viruses weaken in their potency over time, but that takes many years.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:17 am

Misuse of statistics can make everyone look a bit foolish ....

When Covid struck Europe it killed almost 10% of the over 60's that became infected (the fatality rate) .... testing was ramped up by all countries targeting the over sixties, this led to the fatality rate for those infected dropping to around 3% as people with no symptoms were tested positive but didn't die. Now in many Western Countries testing numbers have not only risen but as all the over 60's have already been tested those now being tested are all much younger ... amongst those the fatality rate has now dropped to less than 1% of those returning a positive result ..... that's hardly surprising as for whatever reason the disease has hardly killed anyone under 50 ... indeed if you look at the mortality rate the number that really matters (the number killed per 100,000 of the entire population) for the UK that's just over 15 or 0.015% .... there's really no need to panic. Flu kills 650,000 people every year and we have managed to live with that for decades, COVID has yet to reach that number because action was taken, however at some point we have to get on with living ... bear in mind that an estimated 9 MILLION people die every year from starvation, that's on a planet which throws away 30% of it's food ... but that headline doesn't sell clicks does it.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:32 pm

Angelito wrote:
StLGooner wrote:What is the survival rate? Is it still in the upper 90's?

I'm afraid it's not as simple.

Covid-19 is unprecedented because of the behavior of the virus. It's a RNA virus, which makes it a single-strand virus (although there are double-strand RNA viruses). Like RNA viruses, it mutates really quickly, so to get a vaccine, there needs to be much research in RNA vaccination, which has lagged significantly behind DNA viruses and vaccinations against it.

In simple terms, vaccinations against RNA viruses have been rarely tried in humans, so scientists are in unprecedented territory here. Since Covid-19 is a virus that comprises the autoimmune system, the RNA vaccine, if not tested and authenticated thoroughly, could lead to other major autoimmune, immune, and respiratory-related complications in users.

That's why we're in a precarious situation. At this stage, we are seeing the most extensive set of research being conducted on RNA vaccinology.

The sad part is that if the powers that be had provided funding for research into RNA vaccinations earlier, we might have seen a breakthrough. But almost every major economy in the world didn't care, or would rather spend money on other issues.

This virus also has long-term effects and one isn't sure, in layman terms, if the offspring of a Covid-19 survivor could be born with horns, or a tail, or some genetic modification. I'm using hyperbole of course.

There's little data on the long-term and genetic affects of Covid-19. That's a different area altogether.

Right, I know. I over simplified it, that was the best case scenario. I realize this could be a potential threat for years to come, or could be nothing worth worrying about. We simply don't know enough yet.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:33 pm

Ach wrote:So the cities all around the world are going back in to lockdown

If it turns into a zombie situation stay away from shopping centres. They always end up heading there.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:42 pm

Me and colleagues have talked about what to do in a zombie invasion during long boring hours at work. I feel we are set and good to go

Depends on the zombies. Slow ass moving zombies then I'll be fine. The ones that run? I'm deader than an Arsenal title challenge in August.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:02 pm

Ach wrote:Me and colleagues have talked about what to do in a zombie invasion during long boring hours at work. I feel we are set and good to go

Depends on the zombies. Slow ass moving zombies then I'll be fine. The ones that run? I'm deader than an Arsenal title challenge in August.

Just get a big metal box with a lock on the inside. Drag it around behind you on a trolley. When the zombies turn up lock yourself in the box until they sod off.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:44 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
When Covid struck Europe it killed almost 10% of the over 60's that became infected (the fatality rate) .... testing was ramped up by all countries targeting the over sixties

Not all Countries. The UK actually stopped testing completely saying it's pointless then did their best to kill the older population by sending people with it from hospital into care homes without testing they were free from it. My sister has still only had 1 test despite working in a care home.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:21 pm

I just can't believe they've waited 4 months before they made wearing masks in shops mandatory.

"So lets open pubs, restaurants and effectively bar a few bits of social distancing end lockdown but oh hang on .......... lets NOW introduce face masks in shops as mandatory, because that makes perfect sense to wait till near the end of the pandemic".

You couldn't make that up.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:27 pm

UFGN wrote:Scientists are trying to develop a vaccine against Covid-19 coronavirus..... bare in mind, the common cold is a coronavirus or more specifically a shitload of different coronaviruses that change and mutate regularly.

Do we have a vaccine against the cold? No of course we don't. How valuable would such a vaccine be? It would be worth ££££££. Everyone would want it.

Soooo, we have to be realistic and say we might not get a vaccine at all. It seems more likely that the solution will be to develop better treatments so that the death rate is further reduced. We might have to just live with it..... also bare in mind that some viruses weaken in their potency over time, but that takes many years.

Unless its a more deadly killer strain of virus like the bubonic plague the human body starts building up anti-bodies and resistence after just catching something once or twice.

They could possibly inject people with a weak strain of Corona like they do with the Flu jab to build up immunity?

From what I gather it was the pnemonia symptoms that were causing most of the deaths.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee