Oddly enough

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: Oddly enough

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 pm

It's crazy to me how much food some people can put away, amazing! They actually show those hotdog eating contest here on ESPN once a year. I think the winner usually eats about 80 or so. Wow!

However, after I hear about or watch these type of things, I always think about the small kid in a 3rd world country somewhere that hasn't ate in a couple of days, and here we have people stuffing themselves to the point of puking for a competition. The world is f***ked ain't it!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 am

How to lighten the mood at a funeral.

Dancing pallbearers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-afric ... uneral-joy
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zenith » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:05 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:57 am

Ha ha.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zenith » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:37 pm

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/foot ... ar-in-will

Brazil fan leaves everything to Neymar in will

LONDON – Leaving everything you own to a multi-millionaire footballer would not be everyone’s idea of a good cause, but one Brazilian fan could not think of a more deserving recipient of his worldly goods than Neymar.

The anonymous fan said that beyond a love for the national team and for Brazil’s football legacy, he identified with Neymar, which led him to officially name the Brazil striker in his will.

“I like Neymar, I identify with him a lot. I also suffer with defamation, I am also very family-oriented and the relationship with his father reminds me a lot of mine with my father, who has passed away,” he said, in an interview with local media outlet Metropoles.

“I am not in very good health and, because of that, I really saw that I don’t have anyone to leave my things to... I wouldn’t want the government or relatives I don’t get along with to take my things.”

The 30-year-old added that he had tried unsuccessfully to give his assets to the Brazil international before, but the will was a legal way to do so and the document was signed by a notary’s office in Porto Alegre.

Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar is one of the world’s best paid sportsmen, with estimated earnings of US$85 million (S$115 million) for 2023, according to Forbes.

“I know that, above all, he is not greedy, something a bit rare these days,” the fan added.

In the meantime, environmental authorities in Brazil have fined Neymar a second time on Saturday after their orders to halt an unlicensed construction project at his mansion outside Rio de Janeiro were ignored.

He was already facing a fine of at least US$1 million (S$1.35 million) after officials said they had found “various environmental infractions” last Thursday at his luxury property in the resort town of Mangaratiba, where workers were building an artificial lake and beach.

The authorities cordoned off the site and ordered a halt to all activity, but Brazilian media reports said Neymar had instead thrown a party there and gone swimming in the lake.

The city government said environmental inspectors had returned on Saturday and found “activity” at the site “violating the restraining order and committing further environmental infractions”.

It said Neymar would have to pay an additional fine for an unspecified amount, with “the total value to be calculated after a full investigation”, which it expected to conclude next week.

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/foot ... ar-in-will
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:00 pm

Tom Hollander says he received seven-figure Avengers bonus meant for Tom Holland

British actor says his agency once sent him the Marvel star’s box office bonus by mistake

British actor and White Lotus villain Tom Hollander often gets mistaken for Spiderman star Tom Holland, but occasionally it works in his favour – like when he got the other man’s seven-figure film bonus.

“It’s been very difficult, because you know I was here first but he’s enormously famous,” Hollander told Late Night host Seth Meyers. “I don’t actually get mistaken for him, but in non-visual contexts I get mistaken for him all the time.”
The White Lotus season two review – this immaculate show’s writing is utterly unrivalled
Read more

Hollander, who also had turns in Pirates of the Caribbean and Pride and Prejudice, at one time shared an agent with the younger Marvel star.

The 56-year-old told Meyers how he got the mistaken bonus while watching a play in which a friend was acting for £300 a week. “I sat smugly in the audience having just done a BBC show for 30 grand or something which was gonna get me through the next year or so, and I was thinking ‘well this is marvellous, I’m very prosperous’ ...

“And I’m going to go afterwards and see him [my friend] and slightly patronise him and say how wonderful it was. And then the interval came and I thought I’d check my emails.”

That was when he found the message containing a payslip – intended for Holland – labelled as the first tranche of a box office bonus for The Avengers.

“It was an astonishing amount of money,” Hollander said. “It was not his salary. It was his first box office bonus. Not the whole box office bonus, the first one. And it was more money than I’d ever [seen]. It was a seven-figure sum.”

“My feeling of smugness disappeared,” he said.

Hollander also said he was sometimes introduced to “excited, then confused, then disappointed children” who probably thought they were meeting Spider-Man.

Hollander was promoting his forthcoming series Feud: Capote vs. The Swans, in which he plays American writer Truman Capote.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... fice-bonus
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to The Harambee