Great scenes from great movies

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: Great scenes from great movies

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:21 am

Pudpop wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Isn't the general consensus that the books are amazing but the films are shit?

I have a hard time believing there are great scenes in Harry Potter.

Still need to read them.
General consensus that the books are better, but the movies aren't shit.

The soundtracks alone add immensely to the experience. The casting for the majority of the main cast was impeccable and the actors really brought the characters to life. Slughorn, Umbridge, Mad-eye, Snape, Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix among others were so well portrayed it's almost impossible to separate the book character from the actor.

(SPOILERS)

As for great scenes, I'd say Harry flying Buckbeak in POA, Harry's possession in OOTP, Aragog's funeral in HBP (or, rather, the whole Liquid Luck sequence), Harry and Hermione dancing in DH part 1, Courtyard Apocalypse in DH part 2 and the Resurrection Stone in DH part 2.

What's also interesting about these scenes is that 3 of them are completely original without the book's influence, and the other 2 were adapted to make them even better.

If it was easier to commit suicide with pop corn I would have ended it all during that first Harry Potter film
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Pudpop » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 am

UFGN wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Isn't the general consensus that the books are amazing but the films are shit?

Still need to read them.

The soundtracks alone add immensely to the experience. The casting for the majority of the main cast was impeccable and the actors really brought the characters to life. Slughorn, Umbridge, Mad-eye, Snape, Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix among others were so well portrayed it's almost impossible to separate the book character from the actor.

(SPOILERS)

As for great scenes, I'd say Harry flying Buckbeak in POA, Harry's possession in OOTP, Aragog's funeral in HBP (or, rather, the whole Liquid Luck sequence), Harry and Hermione dancing in DH part 1, Courtyard Apocalypse in DH part 2 and the Resurrection Stone in DH part 2.

What's also interesting about these scenes is that 3 of them are completely original without the book's influence, and the other 2 were adapted to make them even better.

If it was easier to commit suicide with pop corn I would have ended it all during that first Harry Potter film

Did you watch the others? The first 2 books are very different to the others, and the plot of the first is the worst by far. Also, the direction for the first 2 was about faithful adaptation. From the third movie onward they adapted the books instead of copying and pasting, and the movie quality improved drastically.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:37 am

Pudpop wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Still need to read them.

(SPOILERS)

Did you watch the others? The first 2 books are very different to the others, and the plot of the first is the worst by far. Also, the direction for the first 2 was about faithful adaptation. From the third movie onward they adapted the books instead of copying and pasting, and the movie quality improved drastically.

Soz I can't take it seriously
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:40 pm

UFGN wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Still need to read them.

The soundtracks alone add immensely to the experience. The castingb for the majority of the main cast was impeccable and the actors really brought the characters to life. Slughorn, Umbridge, Mad-eye, Snape, Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix among others were so well portrayed it's almost impossible to separate the book character from the actor.

(SPOILERS)

Soz I can't take it seriously

Me neither.

They’re kids films I think.

Like you got Guillermo del Toro to do some episodes of Grange Hill.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Previous

Return to The Harambee