Man "cured of HIV" and marketable cure "very close"

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Man "cured of HIV" and marketable cure "very close"

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm

Massive breaking news over the last few days. A 44 year old man has been treated with a course of drugs and is now completely free of HIV, showing as negative in all tests.

35 million deaths. A generation terrorised. Is it over?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... itish-man/
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: Man "cured of HIV" and marketable cure "very close"

Postby StLGooner » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:21 pm

See Magic Johnson, he was cured years ago. I wouldn't doubt if they've had a cure for a while honestly. Also, that boxer that played in Rocky 5, he was cured as well.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:44 pm

According to the report I heard it is showing very positive signs of a cure but they are not 'very close'.

Still exciting though. It's a very big issue here in SA
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:49 pm

StLGooner wrote:See Magic Johnson, he was cured years ago. I wouldn't doubt if they've had a cure for a while honestly. Also, that boxer that played in Rocky 5, he was cured as well.

There's a thin but very important line between cured and controlled

My understanding is that Johnson is healthy because of his fitness regime and (very expensive) private management of his HIV

You can be healthy as an athlete but still contagious to others, who will develop symptoms if they're infected.

This is taking it one step further and saying that the person is no longer infected at all.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Pudpop » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:04 pm

Also important to draw the line between HIV and AIDS. HIV is competent controllable and someone who is infected can live a normal life with the correct treatment (which doesn't have to be expensive btw) but if the disease evaluates to the point of AIDS then there's no coming back and death is around the corner
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Poor old Freddie. If he'd have contracted HIV two years after he actually did, he'd probably still be alive now.

They finally got the retroviral dosages right at around the time he died :(

UFGN

Postby StLGooner » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:16 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:See Magic Johnson, he was cured years ago. I wouldn't doubt if they've had a cure for a while honestly. Also, that boxer that played in Rocky 5, he was cured as well.

My understanding is that Johnson is healthy because of his fitness regime and (very expensive) private management of his HIV

You can be healthy as an athlete but still contagious to others, who will develop symptoms if they're infected.

This is taking it one step further and saying that the person is no longer infected at all.

Right I agree, but I have heard they can no longer detect it in him. Is that not cured then?

I think they can cure it if you're rich.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:24 pm

StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Right I agree, but I have heard they can no longer detect it in him. Is that not cured then?

As far as I know he denies that he's cured

They can keep you healthy long term if you're rich.

The drugs they give the normal people of this world are pretty good as well nowadays but they still only work for X number of years and the patient still faces the likelihood of a rapid decline in health later in life. And they're still contagious.

UFGN

Postby Dejan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:56 pm

too much money in the business to find a cure
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:47 am

Dejan wrote:too much money in the business to find a cure
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:04 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

As far as I know he denies that he's cured

They can keep you healthy long term if you're rich.

The drugs they give the normal people of this world are pretty good as well nowadays but they still only work for X number of years and the patient still faces the likelihood of a rapid decline in health later in life. And they're still contagious.

I'm sure he does deny it, how would he be able to answer someone that is dying from it that asked him how he got cured and why they can't be? "Cause you ain't got the money sucka".
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to The Harambee