In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Zenith » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 am

UFGN wrote:
Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Zenith wrote:Relax, gents.

It's just a PowerPoint file and you're downloading from the official website of the University of Missouri–St. Louis.

After clicking on the link the file will not download unless you choose to.

I clicked it once and it downloaded to my phone

This may vary depending on your browser and its settings.

Firefox has an option that allows you to confirm each file before downloading.

Stupidly enough there is no such option in Chrome, regardless of your OS.

Regardless I shouldn't be having to worry about whether a link is safe or not from someone on this site

Other diwnliads give an option but that one didn't. Its not my settings that are the problem

Just ran a little test.

With "Ask where to save each file before downloading" enabled.

- On Android, Chrome does indeed fail to ask for a confirmation
- On Windows, Chrome does ask to confirm

I'd just like to point out this is a browser glitch and not in any shape or form related to GW.

It's also another reason to ditch Chrome from your phone altogether.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Phil71 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 am

Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Zenith wrote:Relax, gents.

It's just a PowerPoint file and you're downloading from the official website of the University of Missouri–St. Louis.

After clicking on the link the file will not download unless you choose to.

I clicked it once and it downloaded to my phone

This may vary depending on your browser and its settings.

Firefox has an option that allows you to confirm each file before downloading.

Stupidly enough there is no such option in Chrome, regardless of your OS.

Regardless I shouldn't be having to worry about whether a link is safe or not from someone on this site

Other diwnliads give an option but that one didn't. Its not my settings that are the problem

Just ran a little test.

With "Ask where to save each file before downloading" enabled.

- On Android, Chrome does indeed fail to ask for a confirmation
- On Windows, Chrome does ask to confirm

I'd just like to point out this is a browser glitch and not in any shape or form related to GW.

It's also another reason to ditch Chrome from your phone altogether.

That’s odd.

It asks on my phone.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:12 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:DG there's no correlation between how old the Universe is and how much matter is in the Universe.

The big bang theory states that all energy/matter in the entire universe was created at the exact same instant. Not just the obseravable universe either, as the whole universe could be tremendously bigger than what we can see. Or infinite.

It took some time for that energy to cool and form into matter, but it did that everywhere. So 13.7 Billion years is more than enough time for everything we see to form. In fact many stars have formed and died before our own sun was formed

It wasn't that one atom or molecule duplicated into many. It's that every shred of energy/matter was once in the same incredibly small, incredibly dense location and then expanded

Yeah ............ and I don't believe it.

How do you fill up a Universe in one explosion? from two atoms? and where did they come from anyway?

You may say "Well much greater minds than you believe it" sure, greater minds than me believe in God as well, but as this convo started out, I've spoken to guys just as qualified who've believed and explained it differently.

What do you think of the views of the Cosmologist that I spoke to, he pointed out numerous issues with the BB theory and he told me these issues are well known, he said the only reason more scientists don't speak up about it is because its the "famous theory" that's taught at Universities and people get shouted down if they try.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:DG there's no correlation between how old the Universe is and how much matter is in the Universe.

The big bang theory states that all energy/matter in the entire universe was created at the exact same instant. Not just the obseravable universe either, as the whole universe could be tremendously bigger than what we can see. Or infinite.

It took some time for that energy to cool and form into matter, but it did that everywhere. So 13.7 Billion years is more than enough time for everything we see to form. In fact many stars have formed and died before our own sun was formed

It wasn't that one atom or molecule duplicated into many. It's that every shred of energy/matter was once in the same incredibly small, incredibly dense location and then expanded

Yeah ............ and I don't believe it.

How do you fill up a Universe in one explosion? from two atoms? and where did they come from anyway?

You may say "Well much greater minds than you believe it" sure, greater minds than me believe in God as well, but as this convo started out, I've spoken to guys just as qualified who've believed and explained it differently.

What do you think of the views of the Cosmologist that I spoke to, he pointed out numerous issues with the BB theory and he told me these issues are well known, he said the only reason more scientists don't speak up about it is because its the "famous theory" that's taught at Universities and people get shouted down if they try.

You have the fundamentals wrong.

The big bang wasn't an explosion that filled up the universe with matter.

The idea is that the entire universe - everything, all energy, all matter- was once contained in one tremendously small speck. This tiny point was not inside space. It was space. It was everything that that has ever existed. It then expanded, fast. Very, very fast. It grew trillions and trillions of times bigger in a fraction of a second and then kept going. The "big bang" is a bad name and it was originally coined as a joke, but the name stuck around. It should have been called the great expansion or something.

I know, it all sounds ridiculous. But that's the theory.

Now does the theory have issues? Of course, because it just kicks the bucket down the road. The obvious question are then "well where did everything in that singularity actually come from" and "what caused it to expand into the universe we know today" and nobody really has a f***ing clue what the answers are
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:09 am

............ as you said, sounds ridiculous.

Quite frankly I don't even know how they believe it themselves, they did the maths for it and basically patted themselves on the back but there are two or more "matter" they had to create and I mean literally create to even make that maths work.

Dark matter and Tachyeons or something like that, both of which there is no proof at all they exist, its real purpose is to fill a void in the maths ........... again, I just don't know how they got away with it.

The issue it seems is they're using maths to force an answer /theory when they don't even have the right tools for the equation.

Some things are just beyond us at this present time.

Not only are there the created matter issues I mentioned but also these ............

https://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/sciencecom ... -big-bang/

But yet the theory of the Big Bang is taught as fact or at least promoted that way, if you type in "How did the Universe begin" in google, BB comes up straight away and its presented like its a lock and key answer.
It seems sciences role to provide answers shows that the BB is evidence of the pressure they feel to provide one, problem is the public don't know jack about this sort of stuff so the only people qualified to argue against them are other scientists / cosmologists who are hushed into silence.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 am

I completely forgot but that Cosmologist told me and I remember from my research that a lot of what we know currently hinges on the James telescope which is launching in 2021.

Its the most powerful Space Telescope to ever go up.

One of the things especially BB doubters will be looking for immediately are Clusters, as they are the oldest observable things in the Universe.
The issue will be with the James Telescopes greater distance vision was that they may end up seeing new clusters which are older than the proposed 13.7 Billion years age of the Universe.

I remember the Cosmologist said he expects that will be the case and then the BB theory is in real trouble, they have come to these theory's on the observable Universe, the James Telescope may be about to show us the Universe is indeed bigger / older than we judged throwing BB maths under the bus at the same time.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:16 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:
LMAO wrote:Einstein was once skeptical about his own theory predicting the existence of black holes. A little over a hundred years later, astronomers captured images of one.

May not seem like much, but it's one of the most incredible photos of our lifetimes tbh

And the most valuable information gets lost on religious fanaticism and armchair moral policing based on incredible works of fiction.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47891902

Is it really what they think it is though?

I've studied some of this stuff and they make these big announcements yet when you dig a little deeper that's sometimes all that they are ........... grand gesture announcements.

Are all the scientists in agreement that its a Black hole?

Why do I say this for e.g, they announced the Big Bang as fact when its not, I once had a conversation with an Cosmologist who explained to me that not all scientist accept that model and can even offer counter evidence, but the most popular theory prevails as standard.

Technically nothing about our existence or the beginning of the universe/time is a fact, because we don't know the big answers about any of it. Having said that, scientist as a whole don't claim things to be facts, even if it's quoted as such. We're supposed to realize as humans that we don't know these answers, so when something is discovered and said as fact, it really just means that's what the current evidence points to. Not everyone in the world of science agrees on everything. That's why it has to be viewed by scientific peers in the industry and agreed upon by the majority to accept it.

The Cosmologist I spoke to said there is a quiet section of scientists who think the big bang is bollocks.

However because its the big famous theory that is able to wrap is up neatly its not argued against.

I don't blame them. The Big Bang theory believed by scientists says that nothing exploded and created everything; which according to the laws of physics is impossible.

No, it doesn't say that at all. It doesn't say it came from nothing. In science there is actually no such thing as nothing. There is always something there, even if it's dark matter.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:19 pm

UFGN wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:The thing about science, particularly physics, is the theories are not set in stone. The people who come up with them in fact spend years trying to disprove their own theories before even thinking about presenting them to the world. The ones that have stuck around the longest are the ones that have held up to constant scrutiny (like Einstein's theory of gravity) or that there is a general consensus on because of a lack of a better alternative right now (big bang).

The truth is we don't know much, won't know much more in our life times and might never know everything.

This.

A good scientist will go out of their way to prove their own previous work is wrong. Im currently listening to a physics post graduate level lecture on exoplanets. Its way above my level of understanding but what I've taken away from it is the sheer amount if effort that these guys put in to trying to get it right, trying to understand, trying to prove and disprove and explain.

A God fan has to shoehorn all of reality into the pages of a 2000 year old book that can never change

I'm with the science guy

I accept I'll never have all the answers. I'm cool with that and don't feel the need to fill gaps in my knowledge by saying ”well it must be magic then“

Well said both of you!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:01 pm

I don’t like this idea of bringing prosecutions against soldiers who served in Northern Ireland and are accused of shooting people without due cause during riots etc.

I thought the slate had been wiped clean after the Good Friday Agreement, when dozens of murderers were released from prisons in the UK & Ireland, and files were closed on outstanding terrorist cases.

Lots of innocent people died. I thought it had all been put to bed. Obviously not.

Time to open the terrorist files again then. Bring the full weight of the law down on the Irish terrorists. I won’t hold my breath.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:01 pm

Phil71 wrote:I don’t like this idea of bringing prosecutions against soldiers who served in Northern Ireland and are accused of shooting people without due cause during riots etc.

I thought the slate had been wiped clean after the Good Friday Agreement, when dozens of murderers were released from prisons in the UK & Ireland, and files were closed on outstanding terrorist cases.

Lots of innocent people died. I thought it had all been put to bed. Obviously not.

Time to open the terrorist files again then. Bring the full weight of the law down on the Irish terrorists. I won’t hold my breath.

Your hoping for fairness in a time in this world where everything is about political posturing and pandering.

The Gov't don't give a fk about a soldier, they'll happily throw 10 of them under the bus if it helps get votes or they avoid the protests of the Left.

That's why I'd never serve.

The political machine today is too willing to cow to the pressure of Vegan Liberals.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:05 pm

justice for the innocents murdered by the brits

only about a million crimes to sift through in our bloodshed history
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Phil71 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:07 pm

Oh here we go
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 pm

Sims wrote:justice for the innocents murdered by the brits

Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 pm

............. name me a European Power that doesn't have a blood shed history.

Tbf I get tired of this Anglo shaming that goes on, I could start a looooong list if you like of other countries atrocities.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:

How can an American pipe up for gods sake. :rofll:

You only stopped slavery like yesterday plus Hiroshima, only Western country to have used a Nuke in history, the decimation of the Native Indians ........... and the whole of the 20th and 21st Century.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee