In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Rockape » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:34 pm

It’s a lot better now than back in the day. Was reading this article in a travel section.

But it’s the reason we found ourselves eating duck gizzards and sipping cool pink wine inside the wonderful walled city of Carcassonne.
For those who don’t know the story, the Cathars were a Christian sect of the Middle Ages, flourishing mainly in the Languedoc region of France and over the Pyrenees in Spanish Aragon.
They believed the earthly world was essentially evil and the way to spiritual perfection was through devotion, good works and a life of humble self-denial (Isabel hasn’t quite mastered that last bit yet).
Tragically, their contempt for the hypocrisies of the Roman Catholic Church brought about a mighty vengeance. In 1209, the highly inappropriately named Pope Innocent III declared them all heretics and launched a crusade.

In their first engagement at Beziers, the crusaders massacred every man, woman and child in the town — some 20,000 souls — and razed it. After a further orgy of blindings, burnings and mutilations in the surrounding countryside, they laid siege to Carcassonne.
They broke the city’s resistance by slow starvation after fouling the water supply. But. this time, the surrendering townspeople were allowed to leave unhindered, provided they went with nothing but the shirts on their backs.
In consequence, though the population was cruelly dispossessed, the fabric of the city was saved.

Makes things look considerably more civilized in 2020.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Rockape wrote:It’s a lot better now than back in the day. Was reading this article in a travel section.

But it’s the reason we found ourselves eating duck gizzards and sipping cool pink wine inside the wonderful walled city of Carcassonne.
For those who don’t know the story, the Cathars were a Christian sect of the Middle Ages, flourishing mainly in the Languedoc region of France and over the Pyrenees in Spanish Aragon.
They believed the earthly world was essentially evil and the way to spiritual perfection was through devotion, good works and a life of humble self-denial (Isabel hasn’t quite mastered that last bit yet).
Tragically, their contempt for the hypocrisies of the Roman Catholic Church brought about a mighty vengeance. In 1209, the highly inappropriately named Pope Innocent III declared them all heretics and launched a crusade.

In their first engagement at Beziers, the crusaders massacred every man, woman and child in the town — some 20,000 souls — and razed it. After a further orgy of blindings, burnings and mutilations in the surrounding countryside, they laid siege to Carcassonne.
They broke the city’s resistance by slow starvation after fouling the water supply. But. this time, the surrendering townspeople were allowed to leave unhindered, provided they went with nothing but the shirts on their backs.
In consequence, though the population was cruelly dispossessed, the fabric of the city was saved.

We all know that there have been horrific atrocities throughout history, but its not good enough to just be thankful that we're not in that place anymore. We should instead aspire to the very best that humanity can be

Its unfortunate that the Abrahamic religions all formulated at a time when murder was as insignificant as catching a bus, and that is reflected in the texts
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:02 pm

Rockape wrote:It’s a lot better now than back in the day. Was reading this article in a travel section.

A lot of that was to do with Siege mentality which people today can't fathom or appreciate, it causes severe barbarity.

The Crusaders had to siege one of the Cities in Syria for a year, the Crusaders were starving and ridden with disease, a support army from another faction of the Seljuks arrived to relieve the City but its those circumstances where the invaders are sat awaiting a City to fall with the defenders stubbornly not giving in where the worst crimes would take place.

The frustration, build up and suffering of the invaders is what causes A lot of the massacres in those days.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:14 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

A lot of that was to do with Siege mentality which people today can't fathom or appreciate, it causes severe barbarity.

The Crusaders had to siege one of the Cities in Syria for a year, the Crusaders were starving and ridden with disease, a support army from another faction of the Seljuks arrived to relieve the City but its those circumstances where the invaders are sat awaiting a City to fall with the defenders stubbornly not giving in where the worst crimes would take place.

The frustration, build up and suffering of the invaders is what causes A lot of the massacres in those days.

It wasn't just in those days. Much more recent conflicts have resulted in huge numbers of people in towns and villages being massacred by invading forces. ISIS is probaly the most recent example. But there were loads more in Cambodia, Vietnam, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Indonesia...and let's not even start on WW2. In just one incident at the beginning of Operation Barbarossa (the invasion of the Soviet Union) over 700,000 Soviet troops were captured by the Germans in Ukraine and interned in camps. Only 20,000 of those men survived.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:58 pm

UK government announce plans for no new petrol or diesel, or even hybrid cars, by 2035

Looking to go fully electric in 15 years

According to BBC news
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby LMAO » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:02 pm

UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
UFGN wrote:The state of that c*** who stabbed those people in London the other day. What a weasel lowlife. The more you read about him its clear he was just a sad little man who fantasised about violence

Extremist idiology appeals to pricks like him because it gives them something to belong to and glamorises violence

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51351885

"In messages with one family member Amman claimed that, as Yazidi women were slaves, the Koran made it permissible to rape them.

He sent beheadings videos to his girlfriend - whom he said should kill her "kuffar" parents - and told her: "If you can't make a bomb because family, friends or spies are watching or suspecting you, take a knife, molotov, sound bombs or a car at night and attack the tourists (crusaders), police and soldiers of taghut, or Western embassies in every country you are in this planet."

[...]

In a notebook - in which he had written about explosives and detonators - he had listed his "goals in life". These included: "Die as a shuhada" (martyr) and go to '"jannah" (paradise)."

wtf how do you even begin to rehabilitate someone like that???

............... as I said, cult like mentality.

Talking to the parents won't help with this.

These people are mentally disturbed and religion is their out to paint the world the way they want to believe it to be.

When your indulging in fantasy it doesn't help when their go to script is made up medieval fantasy also, it means you can interpret it to mean whatever you want.

Its unfortunate but I think we have to be honest about this, you do get a small but significant number of older male teenagers who in their naivety, and with no life experience, are depressed / insecure / angry and at the same time drawn to either gangs or the military

These "Islamist" groups are kind of both arent they. A gang and military. Thats why they appeal to these particular young men

If I think back to my secondary school years, I knew about three kids who were a bit weird, a bit insecure and were into Army stuff, dressing up in combats and all that. One of them even bought an ex-army Jeep. Fuckin cringe!

They were harmless enough, one of them did join the Army in the end, the others as far as I know went on to do normal jobs etc

The point is though, imagine if that was now, and that those kids I knew were from a Muslim background. How easy would it be for them to be radicalised by some arsehole?

I dont know if maybe the Army could have a role to play in this. Try to attract young Muslims (and others) into the cadets. Give them a harmless outlet where they can wargame through their issues until they mature and grow out of it. Maybe some of them would go on to have successful Army careers

I might be talking out of my ass and this is purely anecdotal, but at least here in America, I wonder if this is why there aren't as many terrorists or violent criminals who came from the suburbs as compared to cities or rural areas.

It goes back to what I said about governments needing to fund more extracurricular activities. Because in the suburbs, there are a lot of sports young guys can play to satiate that violent thirst: American football in the summer (summer workouts and training camps) and fall, wrestling in the winter, and lacrosse in the spring. Or even cross country or golf during the fall, basketball or swimming during the winter, and baseball, football/soccer, tennis, or track and field during the spring to not be running around on the streets doing dumb stuff.

In the cities, unless you go to a private school, you may not get those same opportunities to have a productive outlet due to lack of necessary funding at many of the public schools; same thing for rural areas where funding may be inadequate.

But at least in the cities, there's opportunities to attend boxing gyms, MMA gyms, or martial arts dojos.

In the country, you have opioids and guns to shoot at wildlife.

It's tragic.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby StLGooner » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:20 pm

UFGN wrote:UK government announce plans for no new petrol or diesel, or even hybrid cars, by 2035

According to BBC news

Is there any backlash from the oil/gas companies on that yet?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:32 pm

StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:UK government announce plans for no new petrol or diesel, or even hybrid cars, by 2035

According to BBC news

Give it time lol

You know it will come

UFGN

Postby StLGooner » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:50 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

According to BBC news

Give it time lol

You know it will come

Oh yeah it will, and hard and heavy, and I'd imagine with huge bribes as well.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:00 pm

StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

According to BBC news

Give it time lol

You know it will come

I did once hear that our own oil isn't used for fuel but is used for plastics. Something to do with the actual type of oil it is

Either way theyre not going to be happy because if gasoline is public enemy number one the plastics arent far behind now are they

Whatever happens the big oil boys will kick off, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is quietly buried sooner or later

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:14 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

According to BBC news

Give it time lol

You know it will come

I did once hear that our own oil isn't used for fuel but is used for plastics. Something to do with the actual type of oil it is

Either way theyre not going to be happy because if gasoline is public enemy number one the plastics arent far behind now are they

Whatever happens the big oil boys will kick off, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is quietly buried sooner or later

Hmmm I don't know.

2035 is a long time away and we'll still have to use oil for other things.

Profit is king but the issue here is all Gov't realise that we simply can't keep this up, the Earth won't survive it / we won't survive it.

I know what you mean about the bribes but England as other countries don't have the oil investments other countries do like Arabia and America.

I fully expect when the rest of the world has gone fully electric to still see America pumping out petrol powered cars.

Petrol cars days however are numbered, despite the influence and bribes of the oil magantes, car companies are embracing the challenge because whoever out of the big industry leaders like Mercedes, Ford or BMW doesn't get out in front of this then they risk being left in the dirt, literally.

Imagine if Mercedes refused to design electric cars but BMW did then with the massive Green push Mercedes not only lost customers, but Gov'ts would be pressured and buckle to make petrol cars illegal ............. there goes Mercedes up in smoke.

The oil barrons won't be able to stop this one, they may make the oil but they can't control the car industries.

............. they'll still however be supplying the military and airplanes so they won't lose all their business but yes, it'll be reduced by more than 50% for sure if not 80%.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:21 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

According to BBC news

Give it time lol

You know it will come

Hmmm I don't know.

2035 is a long time away and we'll still have to use oil for other things.

Profit is king but the issue here is all Gov't realise that we simply can't keep this up, the Earth won't survive it / we won't survive it.

I know what you mean about the bribes but England as other countries don't have the oil investments other countries do like Arabia and America.

I fully expect when the rest of the world has gone fully electric to still see America pumping out petrol powered cars.

Petrol cars days however are numbered, despite the influence and bribes of the oil magantes, car companies are embracing the challenge because whoever out of the big industry leaders like Mercedes, Ford or BMW doesn't get out in front of this then they risk being left in the dirt, literally.

Imagine if Mercedes refused to design electric cars but BMW did then with the massive Green push Mercedes not only lost customers, but Gov'ts would be pressured and buckle to make petrol cars illegal ............. there goes Mercedes up in smoke.

The oil barrons won't be able to stop this one, they may make the oil but they can't control the car industries.

............. they'll still however be supplying the military and airplanes so they won't lose all their business but yes, it'll be reduced by more than 50% for sure if not 80%.

Yep! If Trump wins again you can bet we'll still be using gas, oil, coal. This ties into the global warming issue also and as long as the coal and oil companies have Trump in their back pocket he won't change his stance. Even though we all know he knows this is real, he's admitted it before, but money talks of course, and he has to play to his audience of idiots.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:50 pm

There's a lot of pressure growing on governments and business to go greener - and a lot of them are - especially the car industry.

Charging cars with electricity produced with renewable energy is the way forward. A lot of energy companies are moving more toward renewables.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 pm

Phil71 wrote:There's a lot of pressure growing on governments and business to go greener - and a lot of them are - especially the car industry.

Charging cars with electricity produced with renewable energy is the way forward. A lot of energy companies are moving more toward renewables.

Even charging cars with electricity from fossils is much greener than burning petrol

UFGN

Postby Ach » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:41 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51478329

Lol as expected mental health is used as a reason

She's a terrorist. Hope she rots
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext