In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: Re: In the news today....

Postby UFGN » Sun May 08, 2022 9:29 pm

VCC wrote:When is the Asian or Muslim happening

It does amuse me

The outrage of the idea of a character who can travel through time and space and regenerate into anything.... As long as it's a white man - amirite?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby UFGN » Sun May 08, 2022 9:29 pm

It's fkin shit anyway
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Ach » Sun May 08, 2022 9:33 pm

Watched every episode from ecclestone to capaldi. Tried one of Whitaker

Awful

Never heard of this new guy
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Sun May 08, 2022 9:49 pm

UFGN wrote:

It does amuse me

The outrage of the idea of a character who can travel through time and space and regenerate into anything.... As long as it's a white man - amirite?

World has got so pc you have to please every group.
I have not watched since Pertwee
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Sun May 08, 2022 10:57 pm

VCC wrote:
UFGN wrote:

It does amuse me

World has got so pc you have to please every group.
I have not watched since Pertwee

If you say so lol

I couldn't give a f**k I just think it's funny seeing vanilla middle England snowflakes getting triggered in the DM comments because a black guy is playing a character, who in the storyline of the show can be literally anyone. Fkin pricks :rofll:

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 09, 2022 12:33 am

UFGN wrote:

It does amuse me

But that's why for me its not a problem, its written into the character although everything these days feels like a forced political message and that's why people get repelled by it.

However I do have massive problems when its historical programmes or certain characters which are depicted a way and its a franchise character for e.g Batman or James Bond etc.

Why, because people recognise their likeness from visual pages of comics or decades worth of films, second there are plenty of characters which are not white, your doing those ones a diservice by thinking a person of "colour" has to inhabit a white character........ it feels like a cheap knock off for PC purposes.

Dr Who though as you say, he comes back as anything so why not ......... well actually, no I don't like it, he should be Chinese, Trans or Arabic, why do white Directors always think "the alternative has to be black"? that to me seems like typical progressive self serving guilt relief.

That's why I find it completely disingenious, its not for people of other races its to make themselves feel better, at least Marvel for example is making efforts to actually include people from around the world, not just making it a black and white thing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon May 09, 2022 12:53 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

It does amuse me

But that's why for me its not a problem, its written into the character although everything these days feels like a forced political message and that's why people get repelled by it.

However I do have massive problems when its historical programmes or certain characters which are depicted a way and its a franchise character for e.g Batman or James Bond etc.

Why, because people recognise their likeness from visual pages of comics or decades worth of films, second there are plenty of characters which are not white, your doing those ones a diservice by thinking a person of "colour" has to inhabit a white character........ it feels like a cheap knock off for PC purposes.

Dr Who though as you say, he comes back as anything so why not ......... well actually, no I don't like it, he should be Chinese, Trans or Arabic, why do white Directors always think "the alternative has to be black"? that to me seems like typical progressive self serving guilt relief.

That's why I find it completely disingenious, its not for people of other races its to make themselves feel better, at least Marvel for example is making efforts to actually include people from around the world, not just making it a black and white thing.

In theatre this is a big issue.

I support anyone who is good enough playing any role in theatre..... as long as their appearance, including their race, is appropriate for the role

Example: Can a black actor play The Phantom? Yes. There is nothing in the script that says he'd be unlikely to be black, and his being white or black has no impact on the rest of the characters

Can a black actor play Jean Valjean in Les Mis? Probably not. In the play, the character blends seamlessly into society, and becomes mayor if his local town, while all the time successfully staying on the run from the police for years. Unlikely a black man in 18th century France would pull that off. The character of Cosette would also have to be played by a black actress because Valjean successfully masquerades as her father

UFGN

Postby Goonerred » Mon May 09, 2022 7:29 am

Royal Gooner wrote:Well they tried the woman and it didn't work. Be interesting to see what he does. But with Davies back, hopefully we'll get some decent writing. They can start by writing off the woman doctor as a whole dream sequence.

I thought 'the women' was OK, it was the excessively contrived woke storylines that stopped me watching. and they killed off the best actress in the new lineup.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon May 09, 2022 3:55 pm

UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

It does amuse me

I support anyone who is good enough playing any role in theatre..... as long as their appearance, including their race, is appropriate for the role

Example: Can a black actor play The Phantom? Yes. There is nothing in the script that says he'd be unlikely to be black, and his being white or black has no impact on the rest of the characters

Can a black actor play Jean Valjean in Les Mis? Probably not. In the play, the character blends seamlessly into society, and becomes mayor if his local town, while all the time successfully staying on the run from the police for years. Unlikely a black man in 18th century France would pull that off. The character of Cosette would also have to be played by a black actress because Valjean successfully masquerades as her father

You say that but, when I went to see Les Mis in the West End, they had the Bishop played by a black actor. Possibly not that historically accurate but I think theatres seem to be going for a colour blind casting method nowadays.

As for playing specifically set colour characters, they could always do Sir Patrick Stewart's "photo negative" casting where they specifically reverse the race of the characters (so ie. Othello could be played by a white man and the rest of the cast could be black)
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Mon May 09, 2022 4:30 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

It does amuse me

You say that but, when I went to see Les Mis in the West End, they had the Bishop played by a black actor. Possibly not that historically accurate but I think theatres seem to be going for a colour blind casting method nowadays.

As for playing specifically set colour characters, they could always do Sir Patrick Stewart's "photo negative" casting where they specifically reverse the race of the characters (so ie. Othello could be played by a white man and the rest of the cast could be black)

The Bishop is a very small role and not related to other characters, so of little consequence.

I don't agree with colourblind casting more generally

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:48 pm

Black actors should get parts if they're the best person for it. For instance I think Clive Myrie getting the Mastermind job was a good move, although my personal choice would have been Victoria Coren.

The BBC however do seem to want to shoe-horn as many non-white males into as many roles as they can. I don't know if that's the case with this Dr Who fella, but it's certainly the case with a lot of their other programmes. I recall my wife watching a mini series recently about a submarine in the Royal Navy. Half the crew - particularly the officers were non-white. The Admiral was a black woman! So far removed from reality it's laughable.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Goonerred » Mon May 09, 2022 6:31 pm

Phil71 wrote:Black actors should get parts if they're the best person for it. For instance I think Clive Myrie getting the Mastermind job was a good move, although my personal choice would have been Victoria Coren.

The BBC however do seem to want to shoe-horn as many non-white males into as many roles as they can. I don't know if that's the case with this Dr Who fella, but it's certainly the case with a lot of their other programmes. I recall my wife watching a mini series recently about a submarine in the Royal Navy. Half the crew - particularly the officers were non-white. The Admiral was a black woman! So far removed from reality it's laughable.

We gave up on that one too.
Goonerred

Postby VCC » Mon May 09, 2022 6:34 pm

Blazing saddles would never had worked with out a black sheriff !,
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Mon May 09, 2022 6:37 pm