In the news today....

In Tribute to Drama, SE13 & Fabrestuta. RIP
Grab a chair, open a beer & chat away

Re: In the news today....

Postby Rockape » Sun May 09, 2021 9:22 am

Harry Rednapp in today’s Telegraph.
( I liked his comment about today’s football towards the end)

I grew up in a completely different world. It was the East End of London, just after the war, and the place was full of amazing people who had shown incredible courage. Those who’d fought had seen 17-year-olds mown down like it was a fairground stall. Those who were in London had spent their nights running to air-raid shelters, not knowing whether their house would last the night.

Everyone was friendly. You left your doors open and nobody would rob you. You’d feel comfortable walking around late at night. My younger self would notice the difference between then and now.

Look at pictures of football crowds back then and you’ll see that everybody used to have a shirt and tie on. It was unbelievable. Even if you didn’t have much money, you’d get a suit made to measure, and you’d wear it to the football.

I was an Arsenal fan, believe it or not. My dad took me to every home game from the age of five onwards, and we used to go two hours early so I could stand on a raised manhole cover by the corner flag and get a good view. I was Arsenal-barmy – I remember watching an FA Cup replay at Sheffield United in fog that was so thick you couldn’t see.

When I left school, I could have played for Arsenal, but in those days they didn’t have a good reputation for bringing young players into the team. I chose West Ham, and many years later was made Tottenham manager. I don’t know whether it would have disappointed my younger, Arsenal-supporting self to end up managing their rivals, but I’ve found that wherever you go in football, as a player or manager, your heart goes with you. It’s strange: the memories are still there, but your feelings move on.

My dad had put my name down to be a docker just like him and my granddads, so I was very lucky to be involved in football. My younger self would be proud of winning the FA Cup with Portsmouth in 2008, and it was really special at West Ham to bring through future England players like Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Glen Johnson, Michael Carrick and Frank Lampard (Redknapp’s nephew). I remember Rio as a kid, asking: “What boots does Paolo Di Canio wear?” and “What do the players eat before a game?” He became such a big star. It was a great time.

I was Arsenal-barmy – I remember watching an FA Cup in fog that was so thick you couldn’t see
We had a brilliant team at Tottenham, too. We played some great football and really ripped some teams up with Luka Modric, Gareth Bale and Rafael van der Vaart. But I’m proudest of what I did with Bournemouth, where we got promoted to the second tier for the first time in the club’s 100-year history. That was the most amazing day for me, and now that Bournemouth’s my local team again I take my grandkids every week, lockdown permitting.

I was desperate to get the England job in 2012. I would have loved the opportunity to have managed that group of players, some of whom I’d brought through at West Ham, but I don’t look back and have regrets about it. I’d been cleared of that stupid tax case [Redknapp was found not guilty of cheating the public revenue in February that year], but there was a massive buyout clause in my Tottenham contract. When I signed the contract I didn’t look at that side of it, and I think it would have cost the FA £16 million to have taken me, which was a fortune.

Born Gooner: Redknapp was an Arsenal fan as a child, above, and went to every home game from the age of five onwards
Born Gooner: Redknapp was an Arsenal fan as a child, above, and went to every home game from the age of five onwards
I didn’t get the job, and then I lost my job at Tottenham. I’d gone from almost having two jobs to having neither! Since then, I’ve had several more jobs in football, but I’m now retired. I’ve got racehorses and I love getting up early to go to the stables and have a coffee with the trainer. I play golf every day and I’m going to have lessons.

I still watch a lot of football, but for me it’s not a better game than it was. So much of it is so boring and so negative. Even lower-league teams will try and play it out from the back now, and they just get stuck in their own half and can’t get a shot at goal. Some nights I’ll start watching and find myself reading the paper instead.

Through my whole career, my wife, Sandra, has been with me through thick and thin. We’ve been married for 53 years, which is normal when I was growing up, but more unusual now. We’ve had an incredible time. She’s been amazing and we just get on fantastic.

I’ve had a dream life, really. Football, Sandra, nice family. Couldn’t have asked for any more.
User avatar
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:29 am
Location: Puerto Pollensa in my mind

Re: In the news today....

Postby Phil71 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:29 am

I like Redknapp.

He also went through that awful experience at Italia 90 when he suffered terrible injuries and his mate died in that car accident.

Good luck to him in his retirement.
User avatar
Phil71
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: In the news today....

Postby Ach » Sun May 09, 2021 11:10 pm

Hopefully Israeli forces are all destroyed and every c*** is tortured
Ach
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 23269
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: In the news today....

Postby Jedi » Wed May 12, 2021 6:36 pm



Same guy a few days later:


Israel needs to be stopped with pressure from the international community.
User avatar
Jedi
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Re: In the news today....

Postby Ach » Wed May 12, 2021 6:51 pm

Israel has to be stopped. Where the f**k is UN, NATO etc?
Ach
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 23269
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: In the news today....

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed May 12, 2021 6:57 pm

Ach wrote:Israel has to be stopped. Where the f**k is UN, NATO etc?


Too deep up Israel's rectum to be found.
User avatar
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015
 
Posts: 22141
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am

Re: In the news today....

Postby Nuggets » Wed May 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Ach wrote:Israel has to be stopped. Where the f**k is UN, NATO etc?


Too deep up Israel's rectum to be found.

:clap:
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 19722
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:07 pm

When a sovereign state is attacked by terrorists it has the right to respond. No country in the world would do nothing if their territory and citizens were attacked by terrorists hiding in a neighbouring state.

If those terrorists choose deliberately to launch their rocket attacks from areas occupied by civilians, any subsequent casualties are their fault.
User avatar
Phil71
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: In the news today....

Postby Ach » Wed May 12, 2021 7:10 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Ach wrote:Israel has to be stopped. Where the f**k is UN, NATO etc?


Too deep up Israel's rectum to be found.

No doubt they'd do something if palestines hit back

I've seen the videos of Israeli police attacking a mosque where people are doing their nightly Ramadan prayers.

Israel must fall
Ach
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 23269
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: In the news today....

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 12, 2021 10:46 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Ach wrote:Israel has to be stopped. Where the f**k is UN, NATO etc?


Too deep up Israel's rectum to be found.

:clap:


Agreed the corruption has to stop.

Just because Israel has power brokers and supporters in America's banking industry doesn't mean they get free reign to do whatever they want.

If Russia was doing this there would be wide spread condemnation.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 26053
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: In the news today....

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Phil71 wrote:When a sovereign state is attacked by terrorists it has the right to respond. No country in the world would do nothing if their territory and citizens were attacked by terrorists hiding in a neighbouring state.

If those terrorists choose deliberately to launch their rocket attacks from areas occupied by civilians, any subsequent casualties are their fault.


............. you do know the history of how there even became an Israel right? literally walked in with American backing and stole a country.

Then you add on the illegal extending of borders swallowing up more and more land that wasn't there's.

That's not terrorism that's self defence.

That's like saying if France invaded England we should do nothing and just let them do it.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 26053
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: In the news today....

Postby Nuggets » Thu May 13, 2021 5:52 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:When a sovereign state is attacked by terrorists it has the right to respond. No country in the world would do nothing if their territory and citizens were attacked by terrorists hiding in a neighbouring state.

If those terrorists choose deliberately to launch their rocket attacks from areas occupied by civilians, any subsequent casualties are their fault.


............. you do know the history of how there even became an Israel right? literally walked in with American backing and stole a country.

Then you add on the illegal extending of borders swallowing up more and more land that wasn't there's.

That's not terrorism that's self-defense.

That's like saying if France invaded England we should do nothing and just let them do it.



You are right DG, when the Germans invaded countries and that country/s chose to fight back it was called a resistance however because Palestinians are fighting back for their homeland they are called terrorists ??? As a result of the support Israel gets they think they can do what they like, they are like playground bullies.
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 19722
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Phil71 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:14 am

Jews have been persecuted for thousands of years. They were persecuted by the Greek and Roman empires throughout which being a *** was punishable by death. They were persecuted in every country they fled to. In Muslim countries they were killed in their thousands for not converting, across the Christian world they were persecuted for over a thousand years for being responsible for the death of Christ. In modern history they were persecuted across Russia and Eastern Europe through state sponsored pogroms. Throughout these times they were refugees. Seeking refuge from persecution. The culmination of course was the events of the 1930s and 40s, where they again became a people seeking refuge. The trouble was nobody wanted them. They were left to the mercy of the Nazis and murdered in their millions. Because they had nowhere to go.

That alone is enough to justify the existence of the state of Israel. If it happens again, Jews, no matter how many, will always have somewhere to go.

And they didn't invade Palestine. They have always been there. They won a civil war.
User avatar
Phil71
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: In the news today....

Postby Nuggets » Thu May 13, 2021 8:06 am

Phil71 wrote:Jews have been persecuted for thousands of years. They were persecuted by the Greek and Roman empires throughout which being a *** was punishable by death. They were persecuted in every country they fled to. In Muslim countries they were killed in their thousands for not converting, across the Christian world they were persecuted for over a thousand years for being responsible for the death of Christ. In modern history they were persecuted across Russia and Eastern Europe through state sponsored pogroms. Throughout these times they were refugees. Seeking refuge from persecution. The culmination of course was the events of the 1930s and 40s, where they again became a people seeking refuge. The trouble was nobody wanted them. They were left to the mercy of the Nazis and murdered in their millions. Because they had nowhere to go.

That alone is enough to justify the existence of the state of Israel. If it happens again, Jews, no matter how many, will always have somewhere to go.

And they didn't invade Palestine. They have always been there. They won a civil war.

...and what was the Civil war about then? this persecution they suffered doesn't give them the right to persecute others, they are just bullies. They might have already been there but that doesn't give them the god-given right to oust people who are not jews out from living in said areas. The past is the past and people need to move on from that and embrace the future, learn the lessons that need to be taught, and move on.
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 19722
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Phil71 » Thu May 13, 2021 8:30 am

Nuggets wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Jews have been persecuted for thousands of years. They were persecuted by the Greek and Roman empires throughout which being a *** was punishable by death. They were persecuted in every country they fled to. In Muslim countries they were killed in their thousands for not converting, across the Christian world they were persecuted for over a thousand years for being responsible for the death of Christ. In modern history they were persecuted across Russia and Eastern Europe through state sponsored pogroms. Throughout these times they were refugees. Seeking refuge from persecution. The culmination of course was the events of the 1930s and 40s, where they again became a people seeking refuge. The trouble was nobody wanted them. They were left to the mercy of the Nazis and murdered in their millions. Because they had nowhere to go.

That alone is enough to justify the existence of the state of Israel. If it happens again, Jews, no matter how many, will always have somewhere to go.

And they didn't invade Palestine. They have always been there. They won a civil war.

...and what was the Civil war about then? this persecution they suffered doesn't give them the right to persecute others, they are just bullies. They might have already been there but that doesn't give them the god-given right to oust people who are not jews out from living in said areas. The past is the past and people need to move on from that and embrace the future, learn the lessons that need to be taught, and move on.


I agree that people need to move on.

What I disagree with is the idea that this is all the fault of the Israelis. It most certainly isn't.
User avatar
Phil71
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest