In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:26 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-31107194

It appears that Mr Bananarama, Prime Minister of Fiji wishes to get rid of the Union Jack from the flag of Fiji. So much for being a devoted monarchist.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:36 pm

:clap:

Good on Fiji for stepping out of Britain's shadow.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:24 pm

Trina wrote:
A mother-of-six with an IQ of 70 should be sterilised for her own safety, the Court of Protection has ruled.

The Court heard that a further pregnancy would be a "significantly life-threatening event" for both the mother and child.

Mr Justice Cobb said the woman had the "same human rights" as everyone else and this was not a case of "eugenics".

He has authorised health and council services to intervene and perform the sterilisation.

The name of the woman has not been released, to protect the identify of her children.

The Court of Protection, which rules in cases when people are unable to make decisions for themselves, heard the woman has no contact with any of her six children. All are being raised by carers.

The 36-year-old's history was described as "extraordinary, tragic, and complex".

Two of the children were born at home in conditions described as "unhygienic and overrun by pets".

There is evidence that BBQ tongs were used as forceps, although this was denied.

In another birth, the woman - known only as DD - contested there was no father and the pregnancy resulted from a "tablet from a health food shop".
Safety

Mr Cobb's Judgement said: "The ethical, legal and medical issues arising here are self-evidently of the utmost gravity, engaging, and profoundly impacting upon DD's personal autonomy, privacy, bodily integrity, and reproductive rights."

It said there were considerable concerns about the woman's safety.

Doctors said the wall of her uterus was "tissue-paper thin" and likely to rupture in childbirth, leading to almost certain death of the infant.

Mr Cobb insisted: "Those who lack capacity have the same human rights as everyone else.

"This case is not about eugenics, this outcome has been driven by the bleak yet undisputed evidence that a further pregnancy would be a significantly life-threatening event."

He has authorised a sterilisation operation, but there will be no notice given to the woman or her long-term partner, who also has learning disabilities.

Rebecca Schiller, the co-chairwoman of the human rights in childbirth charity Birthrights, said: "Taking away a person's ability to have a child is truly draconian.

"It may be justified in extreme circumstances, but immense care must be taken to safeguard the rights of people with mental health conditions."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31128969

It seems to be right decision in this case but there can not be any president set from this. By that I mean there must be a high court decision in every individual case. Where its for genuine health reasons I would support a decision to forcibly stetirilise, but its a short hop from there, to doing it to save the state money or inconvenience, and that would never be acceptable.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Trina » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:07 am

The generation dubbed 'The Vampire Children': Hooked on iPads and mobiles late into the night, they hardly sleep, here experts reveal the terrifying toll it takes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z3Qr7BbP2z
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

An interesting read and it does not surprise me! I've had it with my 7 year old boy. How he NEEDS his Ipad to help him sleep etc etc. I checked on him a while ago as I always do before I go to bed and he was wide awake watching youtube at nearly midnight when he had school the next morning. Ipad was taken off him and he never takes it to bed on a school night anymore.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby JordanTheGunner » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:43 am

Trina wrote:The generation dubbed 'The Vampire Children': Hooked on iPads and mobiles late into the night, they hardly sleep, here experts reveal the terrifying toll it takes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z3Qr7BbP2z
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

An interesting read and it does not surprise me! I've had it with my 7 year old boy. How he NEEDS his Ipad to help him sleep etc etc. I checked on him a while ago as I always do before I go to bed and he was wide awake watching youtube at nearly midnight when he had school the next morning. Ipad was taken off him and he never takes it to bed on a school night anymore.

Many people even now and definitely before now have claimed they need to read to sleep, I can never sleep without the TV on it's like I need it to be on for me to sleep otherwise I'm putting pressure on myself to get to sleep if that makes sense, didn't Wayne Rooney use a hoover to help him sleep at one point?
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:51 am

JordanTheGunner wrote:Many people even now and definitely before now have claimed they need to read to sleep, I can never sleep without the TV on it's like I need it to be on for me to sleep otherwise I'm putting pressure on myself to get to sleep if that makes sense, didn't Wayne Rooney use a hoover to help him sleep at one point?

Nah, he used someones Grandma.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Git » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:40 am

UFGN wrote:
Trina wrote:
A mother-of-six with an IQ of 70 should be sterilised for her own safety, the Court of Protection has ruled.

The Court heard that a further pregnancy would be a "significantly life-threatening event" for both the mother and child.

Mr Justice Cobb said the woman had the "same human rights" as everyone else and this was not a case of "eugenics".

He has authorised health and council services to intervene and perform the sterilisation.

The name of the woman has not been released, to protect the identify of her children.

The Court of Protection, which rules in cases when people are unable to make decisions for themselves, heard the woman has no contact with any of her six children. All are being raised by carers.

The 36-year-old's history was described as "extraordinary, tragic, and complex".

Two of the children were born at home in conditions described as "unhygienic and overrun by pets".

There is evidence that BBQ tongs were used as forceps, although this was denied.

In another birth, the woman - known only as DD - contested there was no father and the pregnancy resulted from a "tablet from a health food shop".
Safety

Mr Cobb's Judgement said: "The ethical, legal and medical issues arising here are self-evidently of the utmost gravity, engaging, and profoundly impacting upon DD's personal autonomy, privacy, bodily integrity, and reproductive rights."

It said there were considerable concerns about the woman's safety.

Doctors said the wall of her uterus was "tissue-paper thin" and likely to rupture in childbirth, leading to almost certain death of the infant.

Mr Cobb insisted: "Those who lack capacity have the same human rights as everyone else.

"This case is not about eugenics, this outcome has been driven by the bleak yet undisputed evidence that a further pregnancy would be a significantly life-threatening event."

He has authorised a sterilisation operation, but there will be no notice given to the woman or her long-term partner, who also has learning disabilities.

Rebecca Schiller, the co-chairwoman of the human rights in childbirth charity Birthrights, said: "Taking away a person's ability to have a child is truly draconian.

"It may be justified in extreme circumstances, but immense care must be taken to safeguard the rights of people with mental health conditions."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31128969

It seems to be right decision in this case but there can not be any president set from this. By that I mean there must be a high court decision in every individual case. Where its for genuine health reasons I would support a decision to forcibly stetirilise, but its a short hop from there, to doing it to save the state money or inconvenience, and that would never be acceptable.

I agree.

I don't think it has any bearing on the next president though.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Vinny » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:56 am

Gary Glitter sentenced to 16 years in jail for sex offences against schoolgirls.

Good.
Vinny
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby UFGN » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:17 pm

Meanwhile, in Leighton Buzzard.....

Bedfordshire police had to redirect three sheep back to a field after they were found walking down Heath Road on Tuesday, March 24.

Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Trina » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:54 am

One of the two pilots of the Germanwings plane that crashed in the French Alps was locked out of the cockpit, according to reports.

Early findings from the cockpit voice recorder suggest the pilot made desperate efforts to get back in, sources close to the investigation say.

Remi Jouty, director of the French aviation investigative agency, said he hoped investigators would have the "first rough ideas in a matter of days" but the full analysis could take weeks or even months.

However, the New York Times quoted an unnamed investigator as saying that one of the pilots - it is not clear if it is the captain or the first officer - left the cockpit and had been unable to get back in.

"The guy outside is knocking lightly on the door, and there is no answer," the investigator said, describing audio from the recorder.

"And then he hits the door stronger, and no answer. There is never an answer. You can hear he is trying to smash the door down."

A source close to the investigation told a similar story to the AFP news agency.

An alarm indicating proximity to the ground can be heard before the moment of impact, the source adds.

Mr Jouty said the second "black box" - the flight data recorder - had not been found and he could not confirm an earlier statement by President Francois Hollande that its casing had been recovered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32062278

There will be so many theories going around now as to why he couldn't get back in.

RIP to all those on board.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:42 am

WTF?

So was the person in the cockpit unconscious?

I wish we could find out why the pilot left the cockpit and how long he was gone for; obviously something happened within that time period which left those inside unresponsive and unable to unlock the door.

Seems very dodgy.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:37 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:WTF?

I wish we could find out why the pilot left the cockpit and how long he was gone for; obviously something happened within that time period which left those inside unresponsive and unable to unlock the door.

Seems very dodgy.

Its not the first time theres been a crash with one of the pilots out of the cockpit. I've seen that aircraft accident investigation programme on sky a few times and I remember seeing something similar on at least two episodes of that.

I don't think the pilot should be allowed to leave the cockpit unless its a serious emergency and even then a steward/ess should sit in there until they get back.

We're talking about a two hour flight here, no need for a toilet break with a little forward planning.

UFGN

Postby Trina » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Breaking News

The co-pilot of the Germanwings flight that crashed into the French Alps wanted to "destroy the plane", French investigators have said.

French prosecutors, citing information from the cockpit voice recorder said the co-pilot took sole control of plane and intentionally started its descent.

The pilot had just left the cockpit and was locked out.

Neither of the names of the pilot or co-pilot have been released.

The co-pilot was alive until the final impact, the prosecutors added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32063587
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:03 pm

UFGN wrote:

Seems very dodgy.

Its not the first time theres been a crash with one of the pilots out of the cockpit. I've seen that aircraft accident investigation programme on sky a few times and I remember seeing something similar on at least two episodes of that.

I don't think the pilot should be allowed to leave the cockpit unless its a serious emergency and even then a steward/ess should sit in there until they get back.

We're talking about a two hour flight here, no need for a toilet break with a little forward planning.

What if they need to go for a piss?
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:28 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Seems very dodgy.

What if they need to go for a piss?

Shouldn't be necessary short-haul. Even then, a steward/ess should sit in there until they get back to make it harder for the other pilot if he wants to go bananas.

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee