In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Since when was the Greek league so gangster? Absolutely hilarious, the whole championship is suspended at the moment.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 pm

If America couldn't get any lower today .......... brace yourself.

The NRA is suing Florida after it passed a gun control law which raises the legal age for buying rifles to 21. The lobby argues the bill violates the US constitution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43369991

Jesus Christ the nerve, these people in Florida just had 17 of their kids murdered at gun point and the NRA are suing the state??

You guys are so fked. :doh:

Americans are indoctrinated with a fantasy that American civilians matter to the Gov, you don't only American $$$ matter.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:01 pm

After each mass shooting, the NRA sometimes goes straight to that city that it happened in or nearby to hold a rally.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:33 pm

StLGooner wrote:After each mass shooting, the NRA sometimes goes straight to that city that it happened in or nearby to hold a rally.

I know how you feel about this stuff so don't think I'm having a go at you over it

But an honest question

The NRA is feared essentially because of its money and by extension, it's lobbying. But I've looked up how much it costs to joint the NRA and it's not even that much

If there was an organisation set up that people could join to directly take on their bullshit it wouldn't be impossible to march their budget and their spending.

Has such an organisation ever been set up?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:26 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:After each mass shooting, the NRA sometimes goes straight to that city that it happened in or nearby to hold a rally.

I know how you feel about this stuff so don't think I'm having a go at you over it

But an honest question

The NRA is feared essentially because of its money and by extension, it's lobbying. But I've looked up how much it costs to joint the NRA and it's not even that much

If there was an organisation set up that people could join to directly take on their bullshit it wouldn't be impossible to march their budget and their spending.

If it were that easy.

They walk hand in hand with all the American gun manufacturers like Smith & Wesson, Bushmaster, Browning, Reminington, Colt, Sturm Ruger, Winchester and many more, they also have partnerships with any global manufacturers that sell well in the US as its also a market for them.

Having a membership fee comparison wouldn't even scratch the surface let alone all the political connections they've built over the decades.

That's like having Smokers vs non smokers but not taking into account the money from the Cigarette companies ........... its a wash out.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:50 pm

UFGN wrote:

But an honest question

Good question, but I'm not sure. I know there have been some organizations that publicly speak out against them and have tried to curb their power a bit, but unsuccessfully so far.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:22 pm

StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

But an honest question

Good question, but I'm not sure. I know there have been some organizations that publicly speak out against them and have tried to curb their power a bit, but unsuccessfully so far.

The problem is that lobbyists have too much influence in Washington. That's why President Trump is actually good as he is not a slave to lobbyists and have to rely on them to fund his campaigns but he still has to deal with their nonsense.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

But an honest question

The problem is that lobbyists have too much influence in Washington. That's why President Trump is actually good as he is not a slave to lobbyists and have to rely on them to fund his campaigns but he still has to deal with their nonsense.

True, not as much as others are, but he still has certain ones on his side. But our whole political system is just so f***ked and corrupt. I'm still not even convinced that voting matters. And now days people are so biased to their "side" of the political divide that I doubt many really care about what the politician is actually going to do. Many people I know just blindly vote one way or the other because that's the side they always voted for, and don't even really know what the politician is about.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:40 pm

^^

You need more parties and you need rid of the electoral college.

There's plenty of problems with the UK system but yours is plain rotten. Your judiciary is also mad. Far too many people in prison and the system is stacked against an innocent person getting a fair trial and getting aquitted.

The U.S. bail system is horribly unjust and there's far too much aggressive plea bargaining pushed by the prosecution.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby StLGooner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Agreed!

And I'm afraid nothing will change because we are too stuck in our ways here. People think that what really made America great in the 40's, 50's and 60's can still work today. Prime example is our guns laws. We're almost too far entrenched or indoctrinated with our way of life to even be able to change now. Plus just our overall apathetic nature here.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:13 pm

StLGooner wrote:Agreed!

And I'm afraid nothing will change because we are too stuck in our ways here. People think that what really made America great in the 40's, 50's and 60's can still work today. Prime example is our guns laws. We're almost too far entrenched or indoctrinated with our way of life to even be able to change now. Plus just our overall apathetic nature here.

Sadly I agree. Your constitution helped to make USA great but now it's just created a stalemate in just about all things and holds you back

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Yeah the bail system is horrendous, two people of the exact same crime but one gets out only because he's rich enough to post bail?? how the fk is that justice?

The real issue is this ..........

America was founded as a nation of opportunity or in real historical terms, plunder, murder and rape.

Lets not forget about the slave trade and the wiping out of the indigenous population, fact of the matter is the country was seen as a place people could come and make profit.

Slave owners, Whiskey trade, gun trade, hunting, Cotton farmers, Livestock farmers, land owners etc etc.

It was a free for all hence why the frontier was called the Wild West.

America suffered from being a sink or swim society, people came and put their own money and back breaking labour into making the country and their fortunes ........... this means the country was founded as 100% capitalist.

European nations had monarchies where Royalty and their fellow nobles were responsible for some degree of catering for the people, land isn't owned, it is granted from royal decree to nobles able to manage the land on behalf of the King, while far from perfect this created a relationship between the public and the nobility that the public will work the land and not rebel while the King provides safety and an infrastructure for the public, this creates a synergy of mutual benefit which was carried into Parliament when the people ceded day to day control of the country from he Royal family.

In America the land isn't owned by the King, its owned by private enterprise and so private corporations, Wealthy families etc own the country .......... which is why everything in America is for sale, including your health and at the expense of your safety and worst of all your Government.

The way American companies push medication via adverts no less to the masses is seedy as fk, no better than the local drug dealer on the corner.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:47 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Yeah the bail system is horrendous, two people of the exact same crime but one gets out only because he's rich enough to post bail?? how the fk is that justice?

If you really think about it the rich guy is arguably a greater flight risk so, at least in theory, under the UK system he might be less likely to get bail!

UFGN

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Face it the constitution is 300 years out of date. The no-established church clause was because each of the 13 colonies had different state faiths, so was designed to stop sectarian conflict but is now being abused by militants to enforce state atheism in a majority Christian country.

The Freedom of expression clause is well meant but had no knowledge of what the internet would do, hence why you always see legislators trying to stop certain things that can cause harm, but the courts always stop them citing this clause.

The right to keep arms was from the British Bill of Rights (yes it exists, or did until Parliament got hold of it) but was created when America didn't have a standing army and just wasn't updated when they did get one.

But the Constitution, like the EU, will never change as they just make it legislatively impossible to do it as membership went up the criteria for changing it didn't change with it. Thank goodness here in the UK we can make whatever law we like.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:Face it the constitution is 300 years out of date. The no-established church clause was because each of the 13 colonies had different state faiths, so was designed to stop sectarian conflict but is now being abused by militants to enforce state atheism in a majority Christian country.

The Freedom of expression clause is well meant but had no knowledge of what the internet would do, hence why you always see legislators trying to stop certain things that can cause harm, but the courts always stop them citing this clause.

The right to keep arms was from the British Bill of Rights (yes it exists, or did until Parliament got hold of it) but was created when America didn't have a standing army and just wasn't updated when they did get one.

But the Constitution, like the EU, will never change as they just make it legislatively impossible to do it as membership went up the criteria for changing it didn't change with it. Thank goodness here in the UK we can make whatever law we like.

I just get p*ssed off with American cynicism, some of the crap they pedal to the masses is unbelievable.

"Be a patriot and own a gun, its the constitution, every able bodied man should have one, remember if the Gov goes bad its up to us to over throw them"

............. what they really mean is this.

"Please buy our guns because it makes us rich, we don't care if kids get shot, we don't care if the mentally ill shoot up a cinema or a concert, we just want your dollars, of course we don't expect you to protect this country from a tyrannical Gov why would we want the Gov gone anyway? they're our buddy's, I mean god forbid they have F-22 Stealth fighter jets, Apache Helicopters, Navy Seals, Tanks and lets not forget Nuclear bombs ...... we're only selling you a Remington Rifle."

They even have the front to come on national television to the school that got shot up and say "Its not the guns, its the mentally ill" ......... hmmmm no it's definitely the guns, a mental person with a knife can kill one maybe two people, a mental person with a gun can take out 17 people in one sitting, yeah it was def the gun that made that possible.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee