In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
It would be a monumental task to achieve in America.

They should start by banning military style assault rifles. They are designed for nothing more than killing people en-masse. No need for them to be in general circulation.

But even that would be hard to get done.

Its funny I've been re-watching the Tudors series as part of my continuous history fascination and studies and you'd be surprised what can be achieved when you actually go ahead and make something "Law".

As in, if you own a gun your going to fkin jail.

Its that simple, but its not that simple when the Gov't and half the country don't want to do it, that is the real obstacle.

If Henry the VIII could change the whole religion of England believe me the gun law would be a walk in the park.

in fact doesn't America already have some states where its almost impossible to get a gun without good cause? New York and California come to mind?

I think you’re somewhat simplifying the reformation in England.

The repercussions went on for nearly 200 years, and cost many tens of thousands of lives, and there were still a great many Catholics.

My guess is that trying to do this with an iron fist on America would be impossible without enormous problems that would last for decades.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 23, 2018 12:44 am

Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

They should start by banning military style assault rifles. They are designed for nothing more than killing people en-masse. No need for them to be in general circulation.

Its funny I've been re-watching the Tudors series as part of my continuous history fascination and studies and you'd be surprised what can be achieved when you actually go ahead and make something "Law".

Its that simple, but its not that simple when the Gov't and half the country don't want to do it, that is the real obstacle.

If Henry the VIII could change the whole religion of England believe me the gun law would be a walk in the park.

in fact doesn't America already have some states where its almost impossible to get a gun without good cause? New York and California come to mind?

The repercussions went on for nearly 200 years, and cost many tens of thousands of lives, and there were still a great many Catholics.

My guess is that trying to do this with an iron fist on America would be impossible without enormous problems that would last for decades.

No, that's exactly my point, if people with power want to get something done, it gets done.

As you say the reformation brought England to the brink of war, Henry had to drag England kicking and screaming which effected even his daughters reigns ............. and yet, it got done.

As I said, outlawing guns is child's play in comparison and could be done within a few years IF the White House WANTED to do it, the way America is going they could probably get it voted through in a majority as the newer generations seem Left leaning, if not right now then in so many years.

Don't forget you could own weapons and guns in England once upon a time ..... not now though.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed May 23, 2018 2:14 am

LegendaryKeown wrote:

So that's good news .... remember 90% of all massacres are carried out by 'law abiding citizens' .... so you just saved hundreds of lives ...

Remind me just how many 'criminals' have carried out mass shootings in UK, Japan, Australia in the last decade ... that would be ZERO ... makes you think that just maybe gun control works ... unless of course you're an NRA dummy, was that the point you were making?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 am

EliteKiller wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:

So that's good news .... remember 90% of all massacres are carried out by 'law abiding citizens' .... so you just saved hundreds of lives ...

Remind me just how many 'criminals' have carried out mass shootings in UK, Japan, Australia in the last decade ... that would be ZERO ... makes you think that just maybe gun control works ... unless of course you're an NRA dummy, was that the point you were making?

Don't feed the troll. He is too lazy to copy/paste Republican talking points so has to use comic strips to get his point across. Unsurprisingly the comic is also completely wrong. No one is calling for restrictions against hunting rifles which is what the "law abiding citizen" is holding.

Not to mention there was already an assault weapons ban in the US from 1994-2004 and it didn't lead to big gummint takin muh gunz and putting me into FEMA camps.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:22 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

No, that's exactly my point, if people with power want to get something done, it gets done.

As you say the reformation brought England to the brink of war, Henry had to drag England kicking and screaming which effected even his daughters reigns ............. and yet, it got done.

As I said, outlawing guns is child's play in comparison and could be done within a few years IF the White House WANTED to do it, the way America is going they could probably get it voted through in a majority as the newer generations seem Left leaning, if not right now then in so many years.

Don't forget you could own weapons and guns in England once upon a time ..... not now though.

In the UK a law was introduced in 1925 that required a licence to purchase and a requirement to register a firearm. It wasn't until 1997 that private ownership of handguns was completely outlawed. Even then there were only about 60,000 handguns to manage as part of that change in the law.

In America is is estimated that there are over three hundred million firearms. Less than half the population own guns, but that is still around 100m people. It is estimated that 17m people regularly hunt, and many millions more are members of gun clubs.

The vast majority of states don't even have a requirement for licence to buy or register. You can just walk into a shop and buy a gun just by giving your name and address. Some states don't even require that.

Of course it may be possible to create a virtually gun-free society in America like the one we have here, but the task would be nothing short of monumental, and would take decades.

And my guess is that even if it was introduced under a Democratic Presidency, it would be reversed by the next Republican one.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zedie » Wed May 23, 2018 8:05 am

In Texas (and other states) you can go to a car boot sale and buy an AR 15 with a driver's licence as proof iirc.

They've got guns in asda ffs (asda = walmart).

They refused to change gun laws after a class worth of 6 year olds got slaughtered.

More Americans have been killed in mass shootings within their boarders than American soldiers on foreign soil this year.

America and its inhabitants are perfectly happy to see people from all backgrounds die every day / week / month to make sure profits are maintained.

Good luck to them, especially the trump fans who seem to be baring the brunt of the mass shootings this year but still find excuses as to why they need 50 calibre sniper rifles and hand cannons over the counter to add to the other guns they have in the house.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Phil71 wrote:In the UK a law was introduced in 1925 that required a licence to purchase and a requirement to register a firearm. It wasn't until 1997 that private ownership of handguns was completely outlawed. Even then there were only about 60,000 handguns to manage as part of that change in the law.

In America is is estimated that there are over three hundred million firearms. Less than half the population own guns, but that is still around 100m people. It is estimated that 17m people regularly hunt, and many millions more are members of gun clubs.

The vast majority of states don't even have a requirement for licence to buy or register. You can just walk into a shop and buy a gun just by giving your name and address. Some states don't even require that.

Of course it may be possible to create a virtually gun-free society in America like the one we have here, but the task would be nothing short of monumental, and would take decades.

And my guess is that even if it was introduced under a Democratic Presidency, it would be reversed by the next Republican one.

As I said its only the political will stopping this from happening, that is it.

People having guns is not the issue, a law is passed, people either abide the law or go to jail and lets be honest the law abiding citizens won't be the ones willing to break the law, it will be criminals anyway, but the point is, no gun sales or access will = less and less guns over time.

You say its monumental, well in days gone by man has done monumental things every century, its never been the issue.

Slavery was outlawed, Great wall of China, Pyramids, Rome introducing Christianity as the Imperial religion, The English reformation act the list goes on.

Where there is a will there's a way, as I've said the only thing that makes this in reality "monumental" if not impossible is because the American Gov't doesn't have the will, simple as that.

There is no other impediment that can't be swept aside.

The Romans had a saying "Nothing is impossible, once we have decided to do it".
Last edited by DiamondGooner on Wed May 23, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LegendaryKeown » Wed May 23, 2018 12:32 pm

You people talk about political will, but every poll consistently shows that Americans aren't in favour of even the minutest of gun control.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 23, 2018 12:38 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:You people talk about political will, but every poll consistently shows that Americans aren't in favour of even the minutest of gun control.

Again, that isn't the issue, its the Gov't who enacts laws.

You talk like the public make or decide law, do the public want to pay tax? go to jail for smoking weed? pay road tax? not have an NHS?

Also don't pretend a good section of America specifically now aren't in favour of banning guns.

Who is producing these "polls" the NRA? the climate of today is excuses, excuses and more excuses because people just don't want to get sh*t done.

I understand this which is why America can just get on with it as far as I'm concerned.

Just take a look at Meghan Markles families behaviour during the Royal wedding, I only looked at it for the first time yesterday and was gob smacked, America is fked beyond belief, I honestly hope Britain never gets to that stage ......... I want nothing to do with American politics or hypocrisy.

Feel sorry for our American members who have to put up with it tbh.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LegendaryKeown » Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:You people talk about political will, but every poll consistently shows that Americans aren't in favour of even the minutest of gun control.

You talk like the public make or decide law, do the public want to pay tax? go to jail for smoking weed? pay road tax? not have an NHS?

Also don't pretend a good section of America specifically now aren't in favour of banning guns.

Who is producing these "polls" the NRA? the climate of today is excuses, excuses and more excuses because people just don't want to get sh*t done.

I understand this which is why America can just get on with it as far as I'm concerned.

Just take a look at Meghan Markles families behaviour during the Royal wedding, I only looked at it for the first time yesterday and was gob smacked, America is fked beyond belief, I honestly hope Britain never gets to that stage ......... I want nothing to do with American politics or hypocrisy.

Should the British Government also ignore the public who know nothing and stay in the EU?
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Wed May 23, 2018 3:10 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:

Much of our gun crime isn't talked about here or in the media. There are perfectly sane people, who are supposedly law abiding citizens that own guns, get into a argument, and instead of fighting or talking it out, grab their gun and shoot someone, whether they are friends or family or spouses, it happens every week here. The mass shootings only get talked about though. Just by having a gun, it increases your chances of getting shot by one, and/or shooting someone else.

Yes, criminals will always find ways to be criminals, and always find ways to get a gun. But if you limit the guns, then you limit their chances, in turn limiting the times these things happen. And that's the argument. There really isn't a good logical argument for them. The only one that comes close is the argument about what would happen to the economy here if guns were banned. That's the only one that holds water.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 23, 2018 3:12 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Should the British Government also ignore the public who know nothing and stay in the EU?

What has that got to do with ANYTHING.

The public don't vote on every issue and never have done, we're talking about subjects the public never voted regardless, did we vote to not be allowed guns in the UK?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed May 23, 2018 3:19 pm

No they don't ... Gallop have polled on this for years ... this year 67% voted for stricter gun laws ....

There's being 'wrong' and then there's talking 'absolute bollocks' ... which is it Legend?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 23, 2018 5:14 pm

LOL, LegKeown banned for 3 months. First trolling for attention by bigging up Arteta and once that well ran dry, spouting NRA nonsense.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Tue May 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Roseanne cancelled. Good. f**k that racist bitch.

"But we only voted for Trump because the left kept calling us racist wah wah crocodile tears." Well, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Yes, I know not all Trump supporters are racist, but it seems like an overwhelming majority of racists support Trump.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee