In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
aniym wrote:The bad news is that this isn't something that can be isolated to "Australians". This terrorist prick is in lots of ways your average meme-loving, 4chan quoting MAGA shithead. In the video he was literally saying "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" and his dumbass "manifesto" had a Navy Seal copy/paste meme I've seen on Reddit .

This piece of shit is an Internet basement dweller who's been eating up far-right talk. He got radicalized in much the same way ISIS brides and foreign fighters have, over the Internet.

PS: For those who don't know, Pewdiepie is a Youtube celebrity who in the past has run "pranks" like paying random Indian guys on Fiverr to hold up signs that say "Death to Jews". For the lulz of course. Everyone knows that Youtuber fans are mature, well-adjusted individuals who can separate 'satire' from reality.

Sadly, this is true.

These guys feed on YouTube/Internet's extremist propaganda. And, form a distorted sense of reality.

I remember a time when people were tolerant. Social co-existence was a thing. But since every idiot out there starting having access to social media, they've come out in hordes. It's also understandable as it's difficult to be racist on the face, one-on-one, as opposed to being racist hidden behind the screen or in a group. Getting brainwashed is also rather easier today. It actually took some effort prior to the age of social media.

What about religion?

What about religion?

People were brainwashed by religion long before social media was invented is what Phil means.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:20 pm

StLGooner wrote:
aniym wrote:
Zenith wrote:Lost for words... RIP

Pudpop wrote:New Zealand showing America how to cover this. I still haven't found out the name of the shooter. I haven't stumbled across the video either.

The way it should be

Unfortunately the video is all over the web.

Once on the internet, always on the internet - especially in this day and age.

Part of me wants people to watch the video to truly see what mass murder looks like, and how different it is from how violence is portrayed in movies and video games. The other part of me is worried that a good chunk of them simply won't care, or will derail the conversation to semantics about whether this was terrorism or a "lone wolf" attack.

Does it make me a sick f**k that I want to see it? :think:

I'm not desperate to see it because I've got better things to be doing this weekend, but if I remember it I will definitely watch it.

I actually believe in seeing life what it really is, in all situations good and bad.

I think that's where you really see who you are, I've watched murders in Mexico, Afghanistan mob killing and Russia and just thought the people doing it are c*nts of the highest order.

That's how I know I'm a decent person.

I certainly don't sit there w*nking over it like some sick tw*t.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
aniym wrote:The bad news is that this isn't something that can be isolated to "Australians". This terrorist prick is in lots of ways your average meme-loving, 4chan quoting MAGA shithead. In the video he was literally saying "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" and his dumbass "manifesto" had a Navy Seal copy/paste meme I've seen on Reddit .

This piece of shit is an Internet basement dweller who's been eating up far-right talk. He got radicalized in much the same way ISIS brides and foreign fighters have, over the Internet.

PS: For those who don't know, Pewdiepie is a Youtube celebrity who in the past has run "pranks" like paying random Indian guys on Fiverr to hold up signs that say "Death to Jews". For the lulz of course. Everyone knows that Youtuber fans are mature, well-adjusted individuals who can separate 'satire' from reality.

Sadly, this is true.

These guys feed on YouTube/Internet's extremist propaganda. And, form a distorted sense of reality.

I remember a time when people were tolerant. Social co-existence was a thing. But since every idiot out there starting having access to social media, they've come out in hordes. It's also understandable as it's difficult to be racist on the face, one-on-one, as opposed to being racist hidden behind the screen or in a group. Getting brainwashed is also rather easier today. It actually took some effort prior to the age of social media.

What about religion?

What about religion?

People were brainwashed by religion long before social media was invented is what Phil means.

As someone who's studied history I can confirm that religion makes the internet look like a wet blanket.

If the internet is a pistol, religion has been like a Nuke throughout the ages.

Millions have died, literally, because of religion.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:42 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
aniym wrote:

Pudpop wrote:New Zealand showing America how to cover this. I still haven't found out the name of the shooter. I haven't stumbled across the video either.

The way it should be

Part of me wants people to watch the video to truly see what mass murder looks like, and how different it is from how violence is portrayed in movies and video games. The other part of me is worried that a good chunk of them simply won't care, or will derail the conversation to semantics about whether this was terrorism or a "lone wolf" attack.

I'm not desperate to see it because I've got better things to be doing this weekend, but if I remember it I will definitely watch it.

I actually believe in seeing life what it really is, in all situations good and bad.

I think that's where you really see who you are, I've watched murders in Mexico, Afghanistan mob killing and Russia and just thought the people doing it are c*nts of the highest order.

Totally agree! After I asked that, I thought for a second why some (including myself) want to see such horrible things. Then thought about all the other tragedies similar to this that I have seen, and just people getting killed in general. I don't get any pleasure out of it, and at times it's horrible to watch, but also it's hard to take your eyes off of. After seeing those things, it kind of gives you a renewed view on life, in a empathetic type of way I guess. But also makes you realize like you say that I am normal, and I know I could never commit such horrific acts.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:44 pm

I want to see it because I'm morbid and have been desensitized by the internet tbh.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LMAO » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 pm

I bet the vid is on LiveLeak.

Requiescat in pace to those who were killed. Senseless violence.

Shame New Zealand abolished the death penalty. It's perfect for times like this.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:18 pm

There must have been kids among the victims.

Warped c***, and of course he will get special treatment in prison.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Nuggets » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:22 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:There must have been kids among the victims.

Warped c***, and of course he will get special treatment in prison.

I hope he gets the boiling water and sugar treatment.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Ach wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-47578860

Just speechless

When will it end?

When the world does
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby dc16 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:39 pm

StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
aniym wrote:

The way it should be

Totally agree! After I asked that, I thought for a second why some (including myself) want to see such horrible things. Then thought about all the other tragedies similar to this that I have seen, and just people getting killed in general. I don't get any pleasure out of it, and at times it's horrible to watch, but also it's hard to take your eyes off of. After seeing those things, it kind of gives you a renewed view on life, in a empathetic type of way I guess. But also makes you realize like you say that I am normal, and I know I could never commit such horrific acts.

I've read comments of people who have watched it who have said they really wished they hadn't. That it really affected them.

Have seen bits on Twitter. The aftermath in the mosque with bodies everywhere is still being published as is the first bit where he is greeted at the mosque and he just blows that guy away. It's pretty f***ked up.

It should shock you. Would be more worrying if you became totally desensitised to it.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:53 pm

LMAO wrote:I bet the vid is on LiveLeak.

Requiescat in pace to those who were killed. Senseless violence.

Shame New Zealand abolished the death penalty. It's perfect for times like this.

I don't believe it is, and I recently changed my mind about that. I live in Canada where in 2017, a similar right-wing terrorist killed 5 worshippers at a mosque in Quebec. Same deal; disaffected white guy with no prospects who listened to talk radio all day. QC talk radio is highly xenophobic, not just against non-French speakers but also Francophone immigrants from African countries or Haiti. You can imagine how they talk about Muslims.

Usually opposition to the death penalty comes from cases where the conviction hinged greatly on shaky evidence, like testimony from an eyewitness standing pretty far away . In this case, there is no doubt who the perpetrator was, but that still doesn't make the death penalty an effective deterrent. This is somebody who considers himself a martyr, a soldier for the white race. Bring back the the death penalty and you give him what he wants, not to mention risking "inspiring" other hate groups who recruit by promising their foot soldiers a type of honour and valor they're not able to achieve in real life.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Be the bigger man

If it was your loved one who got murdered you wouldn't want randoms watching it like some sort of exhibit

It's clearly wrong to watch it.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Phil71 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Sadly, this is true.

What about religion?

What about religion?

As someone who's studied history I can confirm that religion makes the internet look like a wet blanket.

If the internet is a pistol, religion has been like a Nuke throughout the ages.

Millions have died, literally, because of religion.

And they still are dying.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 pm

UFGN wrote:Be the bigger man

If it was your loved one who got murdered you wouldn't want randoms watching it like some sort of exhibit

I know.

It's bad for your psyche too.

The world is saturated in violence because of phones and social media; before you would have to be there in person to witness it, but now everything is instantly broadcasted to the entire world.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby StLGooner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:10 pm

UFGN wrote:Be the bigger man

IDK, honestly if I lost a loved one, I think the last thing I would be worrying about is people watching a video of their death. It doesn't seem like it would bother me, but I guess I wouldn't know until it happened.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee