In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Rockape wrote:I heard it said on the news today, that the French are saying they want to come to the UK, because they can easily disappear into the grey maket here.

The French do have that correct. We need to make it clear that any illegal immigrant caught here will be deported.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Goonerred » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:06 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Of course the most straightforward solution to the dinghy crossings is for France/the EU to agree to take them back immediately.

As soon as they arrive they are taken back.

A coordinated effort of patrolling the French shoreline and returning everyone who gets through is the best solution.

You're wanting France and the EU to stop migrants coming to Britain. It's in their interest for migrants to come to Britain, they don't have to deal with them or pay for them. Why would they?

The traffickers are cynical though. They encourage the migrants to turn off the engine on the boat once in or near British waters, then they will be rescued. They are also told to tear up their papers so they can't be identified. A few lawyers or whatever were saying that it is not illegal for the people to cross the Channel and claim asylum, I'm sure there are many economic migrants coming and they must have some money to have mobile phones and cash for the traffickers. We have to decide as a nation if we want to open our borders to the world, which is what many were asking for last night. Well they were saying we should give the migrants in Calais safe passage to the UK. If we do that, we are literally opening our borders to the world, why wouldn't you travel to Calais to get on a nice ferry to Dover?

What do we do?

At the moment the French are having to manage camps in their border towns and patrol the shoreline to prevent people going off in boats.

If we had an arrangement whereby everyone got sent back to France, this problem would go away. The French have this problem because people want to get to the UK. If it was made impossible to stay in the UK when they arrive, the problem would go away.

And instead of cruising around the south China Sea or the Persian Gulf, our Navy should be here stopping this invasion.

If we took them all back to France, what would the French do with them? I think the EU as a whole has been remiss on this issue since 2015, proper camps should have been erected either on the EU border or just in the EU border with asylum seekers not being able to leave them until their papers are sorted. They don't have papers so then what? At least the people could have been distributed more fairly across the EU if they had been properly processed.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:23 pm

Goonerred wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Of course the most straightforward solution to the dinghy crossings is for France/the EU to agree to take them back immediately.

A coordinated effort of patrolling the French shoreline and returning everyone who gets through is the best solution.

You're wanting France and the EU to stop migrants coming to Britain. It's in their interest for migrants to come to Britain, they don't have to deal with them or pay for them. Why would they?

The traffickers are cynical though. They encourage the migrants to turn off the engine on the boat once in or near British waters, then they will be rescued. They are also told to tear up their papers so they can't be identified. A few lawyers or whatever were saying that it is not illegal for the people to cross the Channel and claim asylum, I'm sure there are many economic migrants coming and they must have some money to have mobile phones and cash for the traffickers. We have to decide as a nation if we want to open our borders to the world, which is what many were asking for last night. Well they were saying we should give the migrants in Calais safe passage to the UK. If we do that, we are literally opening our borders to the world, why wouldn't you travel to Calais to get on a nice ferry to Dover?

What do we do?

At the moment the French are having to manage camps in their border towns and patrol the shoreline to prevent people going off in boats.

If we had an arrangement whereby everyone got sent back to France, this problem would go away. The French have this problem because people want to get to the UK. If it was made impossible to stay in the UK when they arrive, the problem would go away.

And instead of cruising around the south China Sea or the Persian Gulf, our Navy should be here stopping this invasion.

If we took them all back to France, what would the French do with them? I think the EU as a whole has been remiss on this issue since 2015, proper camps should have been erected either on the EU border or just in the EU border with asylum seekers not being able to leave them until their papers are sorted. They don't have papers so then what? At least the people could have been distributed more fairly across the EU if they had been properly processed.

Most of them are not refugees. They're economic migrants.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Goonerred » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:26 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Goonerred wrote:

What do we do?

Most of them are not refugees. They're economic migrants.

They probably are, but they don't have any paperwork, so what do you do?
Goonerred

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:32 pm

LMAO wrote:
Phil71 wrote:It'll be interesting to see the impact of the collapse of the oil industry on the US Dollar. Its hegemony in oil transactions has propped it up on the exchanges for the past 70 years or so. Almost every barrel of oil produced in the world is bought with US Dollars - the internationally recognised currency for oil trading. In order to facilitate this the Dollars must first be purchased in exchange for the native currency of the buyer. This demand for Dollars on the international foreign exchange markets increases its value against other currencies.

If there is no oil to buy, the demand for Dollars will go through the floor, and so in turn will its exchange rate.

Iran along with Russia, are the only two major oil producing countries not to use the Dollar. They instead take Euros for their oil. Saddam Hussein's decision to adopt this policy after the first Gulf War was the final nail in his coffin.

Oil dependence likely won't end for decades (and the USD is showing no signs of losing its status as the reserve currency any time soon), but ironically*, a weaker USD could be a decent change of pace for us. A weaker dollar means more American exports and purchases of domestically produced goods which means more jobs for American workers and greater insulation from international supply chain shocks as American firms purchase more attractively-priced local goods.

*I say ironically because a lot of people tend to think strong=good and weak=bad even though it's not a black and white issue.

That's not true if the Green plans are enacted the way its been planned.

I'm not sure what the US has agreed to but the UK along with others have signed up to 2030 no new petrol cars are to be sold or bought in the UK.

So no, that is not "decades", that is almost all petrol cars will disappear within a decade of 2030.

That is approx 75% of all the demand for petrol gone within 10 years of the ban.

We're talking about millions of car owners, must be close to a billion now seeing as most households have 2 cars...... actually fk that I fact checked it, there are 1.4 billion cars in circulation.

I said 75% scrap that, make that 80% - 85% minimum, only planes and certain other high range or military vehicles will be petrol, all other road vehicles will be electric.

The petroleum industry is about to lose 85% of its customer base, the whole industry will collapse and we're all going to feel it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:24 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Phil71 wrote:It'll be interesting to see the impact of the collapse of the oil industry on the US Dollar. Its hegemony in oil transactions has propped it up on the exchanges for the past 70 years or so. Almost every barrel of oil produced in the world is bought with US Dollars - the internationally recognised currency for oil trading. In order to facilitate this the Dollars must first be purchased in exchange for the native currency of the buyer. This demand for Dollars on the international foreign exchange markets increases its value against other currencies.

If there is no oil to buy, the demand for Dollars will go through the floor, and so in turn will its exchange rate.

Iran along with Russia, are the only two major oil producing countries not to use the Dollar. They instead take Euros for their oil. Saddam Hussein's decision to adopt this policy after the first Gulf War was the final nail in his coffin.

Oil dependence likely won't end for decades (and the USD is showing no signs of losing its status as the reserve currency any time soon), but ironically*, a weaker USD could be a decent change of pace for us. A weaker dollar means more American exports and purchases of domestically produced goods which means more jobs for American workers and greater insulation from international supply chain shocks as American firms purchase more attractively-priced local goods.

*I say ironically because a lot of people tend to think strong=good and weak=bad even though it's not a black and white issue.

I'm not sure what the US has agreed to but the UK along with others have signed up to 2030 no new petrol cars are to be sold or bought in the UK.

So no, that is not "decades", that is almost all petrol cars will disappear within a decade of 2030.

That is approx 75% of all the demand for petrol gone within 10 years of the ban.

We're talking about millions of car owners, must be close to a billion now seeing as most households have 2 cars...... actually fk that I fact checked it, there are 1.4 billion cars in circulation.

I said 75% scrap that, make that 80% - 85% minimum, only planes and certain other high range or military vehicles will be petrol, all other road vehicles will be electric.

The petroleum industry is about to lose 85% of its customer base, the whole industry will collapse and we're all going to feel it.

California and New York have passed laws banning all sales of gas vehicles by 2035, and I'm pretty sure no other state has laws at all. Good luck getting Texas to jump on board unless Congress passes a national law. I know Canada is 2040 and Quebec is 2035 like California and New York. Can't speak for any other countries.

Here in the US, more than 70% of oil use is for transportation (65% for personal vehicles). Oil demand is eventually going to decrease (will peak oil be in 2030? 2040? later?), but oil dependency will be around for a long time to come. We're still going to need oil for tires, lubricants/grease, pharmaceuticals, computers, plastics, etc. until chemists develop alternative manufacturing methods that scale.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:57 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:

People will just buy loads of diesels in 2029 and it's only new ones that are banned so people will be buying used cars or importing them. Plus hybrids get banned 5 years later so people will just scramble for those.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:51 pm

LMAO wrote:California and New York have passed laws banning all sales of gas vehicles by 2035, and I'm pretty sure no other state has laws at all. Good luck getting Texas to jump on board unless Congress passes a national law. I know Canada is 2040 and Quebec is 2035 like California and New York. Can't speak for any other countries.

Here in the US, more than 70% of oil use is for transportation (65% for personal vehicles). Oil demand is eventually going to decrease (will peak oil be in 2030? 2040? later?), but oil dependency will be around for a long time to come. We're still going to need oil for tires, lubricants/grease, pharmaceuticals, computers, plastics, etc. until chemists develop alternative manufacturing methods that scale.

That's still according to your figures a 70% loss of demand.

Of course we'll always need oil in some form or other but a 70% decrease in profits is industry changing / defining, billions will be lost, the demand just won't be there, global personal transportation will be gone from the oil companies customer base.

Royal Gooner wrote:People will just buy loads of diesels in 2029 and it's only new ones that are banned so people will be buying used cars or importing them. Plus hybrids get banned 5 years later so people will just scramble for those.

.......... and how long is that going to last?

People want newer cars, in a short amount of time, unless you want to buy a 10-15 yr old car with the milage and parts need updating on it people will be very quickly phasing into to buying Electric cars, the Gov may even increase road tax for petrol users in fact, mark my words that is on the cards almost immediately, they'll make it doubly expensive to have a petrol car.

No point resisting this one, by 2040 petrol cars will be getting well and truly phased out on the roads forever, the entire structure for re-fueling will be set up for Electric.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:44 pm

I'll be more than happy to switch to electric if they can get their mileage up to par with diesel. I need a car that won't conk out on the motorway. Until that day, F*ck them.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:17 am

Royal Gooner wrote:I'll be more than happy to switch to electric if they can get their mileage up to par with diesel. I need a car that won't conk out on the motorway. Until that day, F*ck them.

lol how far are you driving each day?

According to the US Department of Energy, 2020 EVs have a median range of 250 miles. But yeah, widespread adoption isn't going to happen until charging stations become more ubiquitous with public stations and private ones at apartment complexes and in garages and driveways.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:22 am

Battery swap stations are the way forward until they invent a battery that can get a full charge in a similar amount of time as it takes to fill a car with fuel.

Nio are already doing this in China. You pay a monthly fee (about $100 I think). If you're running low you use their app to find the nearest battery swap station. You drive into a bay, step out of your vehicle and a robot removes your battery & replaces it with a full one. Takes about 5 minutes.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Goonerred » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:06 am

https://news.sky.com/story/channel-deat ... y-12479618

It's all very tragic that people feel they need to leave their own country for a better life elsewhere. Why can't Governments of these countries look after their citizens and help them to have a better life? The cousin of the woman wants France and the UK to help them - "Anyone who wants to leave their home and travel to Europe has their own reasons and hopes, so please just help them in a better way and not force them to take this route of death." I still maintain that by doing that there would be millions coming across France to get to the UK, we have to decide as a nation if this is a route we can go down. I feel for these people I really do, I just don't know what the answer is.

Also, whilst these young fit people are leaving their countries is that reducing the chance of their own country ever improving, Young, fit intelligent people leaving? I also thought the migrants didn't have ID on them, but they know the identity of some of them so they must have.
Goonerred

Postby 22-0 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:47 pm

leftists in western country > this place is horrible racist sexist capitalist hellhole!

also entire world please let me in.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:17 am

What does everyone think of the Ahmaud Arbery case?

Especially in the light of the Kyle Rittenhouse recent result.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:15 am

Perfect verdict.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee