In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:22 am

It seems to be the reverse of the Rittenhouse situation. In Rittenhouse, he was being charged at and attacked and acted in self defence. In this, these guys charged at Aubrey and used deadly force without any real provocation I see. I think justice has been done in both cases.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:29 am

It's difficult for us to judge from over here.

But there is one similarity with the Rittenhouse case - and that is that an unarmed man made a conscious decision to confront an armed man and try to wrestle the gun from him. The end result was his death.

Personally I'd never dream of doing such a thing - for the obvious reasons, but I haven't grown up with guns as a part of my life (except air weapons), so I don't know what I would do. It didn't appear that Arbery should feel his life was in danger. In fact you could hear on the video that the convicted men were shouting things like 'we just want to talk to you'. Whether he believed that or not I don't know.

Tragic case anyway. No evidence that Arbery was guilty of anything, and now these men have to spend a long time in prison for what was probably a stupid split second decision to arm themselves and chase someone down the road for what they apparently believed was petty theft.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:48 am

Phil71 wrote:It's difficult for us to judge from over here.

But there is one similarity with the Rittenhouse case - and that is that an unarmed man made a conscious decision to confront an armed man and try to wrestle the gun from him. The end result was his death.

Personally I'd never dream of doing such a thing - for the obvious reasons, but I haven't grown up with guns as a part of my life (except air weapons), so I don't know what I would do. It didn't appear that Arbery should feel his life was in danger. In fact you could hear on the video that the convicted men were shouting things like 'we just want to talk to you'. Whether he believed that or not I don't know.

Tragic case anyway. No evidence that Arbery was guilty of anything, and now these men have to spend a long time in prison for what was probably a stupid split second decision to arm themselves and chase someone down the road for what they apparently believed was petty theft.

I think they had a misled understanding of "stand your ground" laws. It means just that, it doesn't entitle them chase someone down with a gun. For something like petty theft, leave it to the police. Too many yanks nowadays think they have the right to play cop just because they have a gun.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:17 pm

Amen to that RG.

Yes the element that is the same as Rittenhouse is that you have the right to defend yourself and you have a responsibility to defend your firearm.

The other element of similarity which is why both verdicts were correct even though one was armed the other not is this ...........they were both being attacked.

That is where the opposing sides lost their cases.

The moment that guy got out of his truck stood in the road with a shotgun after hunting Ahmaud down for 5mins is one thing, but the moment Ahmaud ran around the opposite side of the truck to not run toward him and "he" ran to the front of the truck to intercept Ahmaud and pounce on him with a firearm in hand, that is exactly where he lost the argument for self defence.

I thought the Prosecution literally spelled out to perfection the law on self defence and the law on a citizens arrest and it couldn't be more simple.

You can only attempt a citizen's arrest if you are present and have witnessed the crime taking place, they didn't.

You can only claim self defence if you, yourself are not the attacker and engaging the other party.

So when he's running to intercept at close quarters a man he's been driving after with a loaded shotgun ........... he fked his whole case.

If Ahmaud had run toward him and jumped on him, it'd be different, but Ahmaud deliberately ran around the otherside of the truck to avoid him.

When the Prosecutor said "So here you are standing in the middle of the road, you say he was running toward you? so what is Ahmaud doing here (he changed direction and ran otherside of truck) so how did the gap close between you? you are here and its you who has moved in front of him right?"

That was case closed right there, may as well of plead guilty.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:44 am

Yet another school shooting in USA

With a gun bought a few days ago

Backwards country
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:05 am

Ach wrote:Yet another school shooting in USA

Backwards country

School shooters who are caught should be burned alive at the stake, they won't think its so clever then.

What I really don't like about it is it's become some American fad for disgruntled students to shoot up their schools, its sick.

The way some humans act sometimes I understand the Medieval age more and more.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:16 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Ach wrote:Yet another school shooting in USA

Backwards country

School shooters who are caught should be burned alive at the stake, they won't think its so clever then.

What I really don't like about it is it's become some American fad for disgruntled students to shoot up their schools, its sick.

The way some humans act sometimes I understand the Medieval age more and more.

Sounds like a plan to me perhaps they would think twice about it, bastards. :angry:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby LMAO » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:29 am

History lesson time.

You've gotta look at it from a black man in America's perspective. My country has a history of numerous racially-motivated lynchings, particularly in the South (notable since that's where Georgia is), from the Antebellum Period all the way up to the civil rights movement. The last lynching I'm aware of took place in 1998 in Jasper, Texas (this is relevant). Lynchings are extremely rare to the point of being nonexistent these days and society has improved by leaps and bounds. However, from talking to black friends and family (even waaaaaaaay before the Arbery incident), there's still that voice in the back of their heads to be wary of sketchy situations involving sus white people.

Back to the Jasper, Texas incident. James Byrd Jr. accepted a ride home from three white guys. Instead of giving him a ride home, they beat him and chained him by his ankles to their truck, proceeding to drag him three miles, where he was decapitated by a culvert about halfway through the ordeal. It was later found that two of the murderers were members of a white supremacist prison gang.

Okay, back to Arbery. The McMichaels' truck had Confederate flag plates, which are widely seen (and claimed by white racists) as a white supremacy symbol. You can see where the sketchiness comes in. There is absolutely no way, no how a black man in his right mind will voluntarily surrender himself to instigative strapped rednecks who want to do god knows what with or to him. Arbery's fight-or-flight response kicked in, and he tried to get out of dodge, but the men weren't fans of that, so Arbery probably thought he had no other option but to fight for his life from three unreasonable men.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Rockape » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:54 am

interesting, good post LMAO
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goonerred » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:30 am

LMAO wrote:

History lesson time.

You've gotta look at it from a black man in America's perspective. My country has a history of numerous racially-motivated lynchings, particularly in the South (notable since that's where Georgia is), from the Antebellum Period all the way up to the civil rights movement. The last lynching I'm aware of took place in 1998 in Jasper, Texas (this is relevant). Lynchings are extremely rare to the point of being nonexistent these days and society has improved by leaps and bounds. However, from talking to black friends and family (even waaaaaaaay before the Arbery incident), there's still that voice in the back of their heads to be wary of sketchy situations involving sus white people.

Back to the Jasper, Texas incident. James Byrd Jr. accepted a ride home from three white guys. Instead of giving him a ride home, they beat him and chained him by his ankles to their truck, proceeding to drag him three miles, where he was decapitated by a culvert about halfway through the ordeal. It was later found that two of the murderers were members of a white supremacist prison gang.

Okay, back to Arbery. The McMichaels' truck had Confederate flag plates, which are widely seen (and claimed by white racists) as a white supremacy symbol. You can see where the sketchiness comes in. There is absolutely no way, no how a black man in his right mind will voluntarily surrender himself to instigative strapped rednecks who want to do god knows what with or to him. Arbery's fight-or-flight response kicked in, and he tried to get out of dodge, but the men weren't fans of that, so Arbery probably thought he had no other option but to fight for his life from three unreasonable men.

It makes me feel sick just reading that. How can anyone do that to another human being? Words just fail me.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Rockape » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:19 pm

It makes me feel sick just reading that. How can anyone do that to another human being? Words just fail me.

Yeah...don't know how old you are but watching films like Missisippi Burning give you a good insight as to how people in those places used to think. Incredible that it was still going on in 1998.

Its (the hatred) instilled from birth by their parents and peers and their parents before them, so will hopefully eventually disappear.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:48 pm

Rockape wrote:

Yeah...don't know how old you are but watching films like Missisippi Burning give you a good insight as to how people in those places used to think. Incredible that it was still going on in 1998.

Its (the hatred) instilled from birth by their parents and peers and their parents before them, so will hopefully eventually disappear.

Madness, the Australians used to hunt the Aboriginals the last organised hunt was the late 70s.
When staying in memphis at the graceland hotel went to get me and mrs vcc a coffee early morningafter a walk mrs vcc was still in bed, lady behind counter at hotel face was indescribable after i asked for two white coffee lol looked at me like i was some kind of racist.
They are the scars
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goonerred » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:15 pm

https://news.sky.com/story/arthur-labin ... d-12486269

How can anyone do that to a little boy? Words just fail me. How lovely that football clubs paid tribute to him.
Goonerred

Postby Rockape » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:13 pm

Some extremely sick people in our midst unfortunately.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:27 pm

Hopefully they'll both suffer a painful death.

Another step-parent incident. Not saying all step parents abuse kids but I think the stats are shockingly high. Something like 50 x more likely with a step parent.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee