In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby Zedie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:38 pm

LMAO wrote:20 dead, 26 injured

At least the suspect is in custody this time. Too often, they kill themselves or are killed by LEOs.

And yet, nothing will continue to be done about firearm control. I still say my idea of armed black and brown people marching the streets in open carry states would bring about swift regulation.

The shooting refreshed calls for gun control in the US but Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said it would probably not have stopped the attack.

He added that if a "crazy" gunman launched such an attack, there was no way that law enforcement officers could be there to stop it, telling CBS News: "The best way is to be prepared to defend yourself."

The Republicans are basically endorsing your idea mate.

The only way to protect you and your family in a shopping centre is to be armed and ready to kill someone yourself, because police or the law cant be expected protect you from incidents like this.

That or leave the country for an actual first world location like Canada or any other country where a gun isnt needed to do everyday things like go school, cinema, shopping, work, nursery, festivals, food markets, a place of worship etc.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:46 pm

I think until there is much greater control, self defense is the only way.

If I lived out there I'd train myself and my family how to handle a gun to a high level, and get armed.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:24 pm

a culture where the only films that make money are superhero fantasy bullshit, where people believe fake news despite the "Sponsored" tag on the post, and are led by a toddler who regularly calls for violence against his enemies?

what could go wrong?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Phil71 wrote:I think until there is much greater control, self defense is the only way.

If I lived out there I'd train myself and my family how to handle a gun to a high level, and get armed.

But why would you do that .................?

Because your living in a population flooded with guns in the first place.

Why don't you do that in England? because you know nobody has guns and your not allowed to have them, how weary are you of being shot? 0 out of 10?

This is what the Republicans and the gun nuts are not getting, the stats don't back up their claims and they just skirt around it, Canada, France, England you name it don't even have a quarter of their gun crime rate ........... because your not allowed to have them and their not easy to get hold of.

Only the criminals have them in the UK and they only use them on each other and even that's rare because if you fire a gun you'll have the whole of Scotland Yard chasing you down.

If I was in America I'd carry as well ............ but only because every other d*ckhead has one, it shouldn't be that way to start with.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Nothing of note was done after Sandy Hook. Nothing will be done now. Children were slaughtered in their classrooms and enough people with power blocked any serious legislation from passing; that's when this fight to try and end gun violence was lost.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Callum wrote:Nothing of note was done after Sandy Hook. Nothing will be done now. Children were slaughtered in their classrooms and enough people with power blocked any serious legislation from passing; that's when this fight to try and end gun violence was lost.

Agree with this. When children were sacrificed for someone’s pet firearm that’s when the battle was lost.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Aaaannnnd another mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio early this morning.

9 dead.

Wow.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:58 pm

Greatest country in the world apparently

Official advice is you need a gun on you at all times to be safe
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:04 pm

A bullet whizzes right past his car at about 6 seconds.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Zedie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:48 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:I think until there is much greater control, self defense is the only way.

Why don't you do that in England? because you know nobody has guns and your not allowed to have them, how weary are you of being shot? 0 out of 10?

This is what the Republicans and the gun nuts are not getting, the stats don't back up their claims and they just skirt around it, Canada, France, England you name it don't even have a quarter of their gun crime rate ........... because your not allowed to have them and their not easy to get hold of.

Only the criminals have them in the UK and they only use them on each other and even that's rare because if you fire a gun you'll have the whole of Scotland Yard chasing you down.

If I was in America I'd carry as well ............ but only because every other d*ckhead has one, it shouldn't be that way to start with.

They definitely get it, they just care more about profits from small arms as a whole to their economy and direct and indirect payments to their bank accounts specifically.

This is the only reason why gun law wont move.

As LMAO said, the only thing they really fear is minorities applying for open carry licences en masse and exercising that right in the areas they live.

The last time major reform happened was when the black Panthers were marching around with semi auto rifles and were organising black communities in large scales.

Tbf it's probably needed for minorities to protect themselves from rampant white terrorism going by conservative logic.

Even phil agrees with this.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Zedie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

They definitely get it, they just care more about profits from small arms as a whole to their economy and direct and indirect payments to their bank accounts specifically.

As LMAO said, the only thing they really fear is minorities applying for open carry licences en masse and exercising that right in the areas they live.

The last time major reform happened was when the black Panthers were marching around with semi auto rifles and were organising black communities in large scales.

Tbf it's probably needed for minorities to protect themselves from rampant white terrorism going by conservative logic.

I’d arm myself primarily as protection against armed criminals. The mad white power mass shooters are pretty rare. Armed criminals who would kill you for nothing are not.

But my ideal society would have no guns in the hands of ordinary citizens - save for standard double barrelled shotguns and firearms for those specially licenced individuals such as hunters.

Much like the UK.

The Mosque shooting was New Zealand’s Dunblane. Will America ever have a mass shooting serious enough to trigger a change in the law? Going by recent history I’d have to say no.

Surely they could start by banning these automatic and semi automatic assault rifles. There simply is no need for them.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:04 pm

America frustrates me no end. So many amazing things about their country, but there's this obsession with guns, religion and race, rampant capitalism and their healthcare system is just depressing. Saddens me that the UK is moving more in that direction in many ways.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Zedie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

I’d arm myself primarily as protection against armed criminals. The mad white power mass shooters are pretty rare. Armed criminals who would kill you for nothing are not.

But my ideal society would have no guns in the hands of ordinary citizens - save for standard double barrelled shotguns and firearms for those specially licenced individuals such as hunters.

Much like the UK.

The Mosque shooting was New Zealand’s Dunblane. Will America ever have a mass shooting serious enough to trigger a change in the law? Going by recent history I’d have to say no.

Surely they could start by banning these automatic and semi automatic assault rifles. There simply is no need for them.

Automatic rifles are outlawed, but bump stocks are legal in most states.

I'd probably get the description wrong, but it basically enables you to fire in such a way that bullets come out in regular streams (albeit not as fast as a genuine full auto weapon, but still rapid). The Vegas shooter was using this mod. If you listen to the video, you can hear how fast he was firing as oppose to 1 press at a time.

Theres absolutely no need for assault rifles tbh, if you need an AR15 or an AK 47 to hunt a deer then you're doing it wrong.

The obsession is real with guns over there and they simply do not care how many people die until it happens to them personally.

That quote from the Texas AG sums it up perfectly.

20 people in his state dead and he plugs the need for more people to go out and buy firearms.

Theyve seriously considered teachers being issued with firearms in school.

American schools have mass shooter drills.

Theres literally no beginning to resolving this while republicans have an influence over proceedings.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Back in the days before Dunblane, a friend of mine shot his wife dead in their family home. He found out she was having an affair, confronted her at home, and she told him she was leaving him. He fetched his revolver from the bedroom and emptied it into her. Afterwards he called the police and told them what he had done.

He had about 20 firearms. All sorts of pistols, shotguns and rifles. All licenced and legal.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zedie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Phil71 wrote:Back in the days before Dunblane, a friend of mine shot his wife dead in their family home. He found out she was having an affair, confronted her at home, and she told him she was leaving him. He fetched his revolver from the bedroom and emptied it into her. Afterwards he called the police and told them what he had done.

He had about 20 firearms. All sorts of pistols, shotguns and rifles. All licenced and legal.

Sorry to hear that, things like that have an affect on more people than just the immediate victim(s).

It comes down to human nature. Its fragile and turbulence in certain moments can knock people off their normal path quite easily.

Weve all been through difficult times, but the vast majority get through it and out the other side and are able to reflect on that period.

Adding ready access to firearms is simply a dangerous combination with human nature. These moments can pass so swiftly but as far as guns are concerned, the results are so perminant.

I wonder if your friend would think to do the same thing now having had a life sentence to consider what he couldn't take back. If it was really worth doing that rather than finding love with another. Theres 7billion people on earth, theres more than 1 perfect person for everyone imo, you've just got to look.

It just really gets to me personally that people could just go out and kill 20 people which affects 100s of the loved ones that are left behind forever, because one person needed medical or psychological support, they were fuming about something at work, they didnt think they could go on without a partner in their life etc.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee