In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:True, but the practice comes from Christianity.

No, Judaism is the older faith. Indeed we even have it written that Jesus was circumcised so how can Christianity have invented it when it was around beforehand as the symbol of the Jewish covenant between the Israelites and God?

Read the rest of what I wrote.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:57 pm

StLGooner wrote:True, but the practice comes from Christianity, who may have stole it from the Jews, like they stole pretty much every other piece of their belief system.

Woah woah woah. The three major Abrahamic religions stole from everyone, it wasn't just Christianity.

The Hebrews were polytheistic Akhenaten influenced them with monotheism. Then the Babylonian captivity gave the Israelites the notion of good guy vs. bad guy because of Zoroastrianism. Now there's Judaism.

Christianity is a bastardized form of Judaism. The Romans/Byzantines/Catholic Church had to get the pagan tribes to convert, so they incorporated a lot of the pagan traditions like Yule into Christmas, even though Jesus—if he existed—would've been born in spring.

Then there's other stuff like the whole flood and ark myth. Got that from the Sumerians' story of Gilgamesh. Jesus is just a combined rehash of Osiris, Dionysus, Herakles (Hercules), Mithra, etc. - virgin-birth savior of the world with disciples yadda yadda yadda.

Honestly, after looking at religions' histories and how they all pretty much plagiarized one another, I don't know how anyone could believe any one to be true, and that's without even getting into the of lack of proof for any.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:29 pm

If there is such a thing as sin, surely there can be none worse than telling someone that if they live their only life in a certain way, there will be a reward at the end of it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:33 pm

Phil71 wrote:If there is such a thing as sin, surely there can be none worse than telling someone that if they live their only life in a certain way, there will be a reward at the end of it.

Religion was invented to control the population the same way we have laws now.

In places where there is barely any law, religion was the back up defacto law.

It was also used by older people to explain to the impressionable young, how things work.

Its basically a tool of older men to have stature and influence in a society when they've grown old and weak.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Captain Picard's achievments and lives-saved score is objectively better than Jesus's
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43 pm

UFGN wrote:Captain Picard's achievments and lives-saved score is objectively better than Jesus's

Excluding when he killed all those people as Locutus?
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:49 pm

UFGN wrote:I just hope they get plenty of time. Dirty scumbags. Whatever their "motive" is the actual reason for the attack is because they're pondlife.

Theres some crimes you read about and you just sit there wondering what goes through peoples minds.

Me personally I don't get it either, back in the 90's and early 2,000's when I was young part of the night out was giving a hiding to the eventual bunch of tw*ts who like a train on schedule turn up end of the night like clockwork trying to cause grief.

But I remember one night which was after they had put up all the cameras in town in the mid 2000's where for the umpteenth time I was put in a cell end of night after me and one friend took on 8 guys after a dispute ........ we got arrested simply because the cops took one look at them, then us and thought "much easier to nick two rather than eight".

Regardless I remember that night lying in the nick thinking "I can't be dealing with this anymore", I packed it in at just the right time, what used to be a fisticuff to settle an argument was now all on camera getting you into sh*t rather than the police eventually turning up or not at all and everyone had gone home or saying nothings going on.

So yes in a nut shell, god know's how these little twerps are running around doing muggings and knifing people with all these cameras around.

Knife crime has hit my town in the last 4 months and they pretty much all seem to be getting caught, makes me wonder firstly how stupid they are to do it on camera and secondly how cowardly they are, its def as part of a fad because it was 6 kids chasing 2 guys, no need for the stabbing as they would of won anyway so its def copy cat crime.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:01 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:I just hope they get plenty of time. Dirty scumbags. Whatever their "motive" is the actual reason for the attack is because they're pondlife.

Theres some crimes you read about and you just sit there wondering what goes through peoples minds.

Me personally I don't get it either, back in the 90's and early 2,000's when I was young part of the night out was giving a hiding to the eventual bunch of tw*ts who like a train on schedule turn up end of the night like clockwork trying to cause grief.

But I remember one night which was after they had put up all the cameras in town in the mid 2000's where for the umpteenth time I was put in a cell end of night after me and one friend took on 8 guys after a dispute ........ we got arrested simply because the cops took one look at them, then us and thought "much easier to nick two rather than eight".

Regardless I remember that night lying in the nick thinking "I can't be dealing with this anymore", I packed it in at just the right time, what used to be a fisticuff to settle an argument was now all on camera getting you into sh*t rather than the police eventually turning up or not at all and everyone had gone home or saying nothings going on.

So yes in a nut shell, god know's how these little twerps are running around doing muggings and knifing people with all these cameras around.

Knife crime has hit my town in the last 4 months and they pretty much all seem to be getting caught, makes me wonder firstly how stupid they are to do it on camera and secondly how cowardly they are, its def as part of a fad because it was 6 kids chasing 2 guys, no need for the stabbing as they would of won anyway so its def copy cat crime.

It’s because the authorities have created an environment where law abiding people can’t police their own neighbourhoods.

Years ago these little toe rags would have been beaten senseless by local people and the police would have beaten them again.

I think there’s some sort of conspiracy where people are being put into a position whereby they are wholly reliant on the state, and any variation will result in arrest and prosecution.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:02 pm

LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:True, but the practice comes from Christianity, who may have stole it from the Jews, like they stole pretty much every other piece of their belief system.

Woah woah woah. The three major Abrahamic religions stole from everyone, it wasn't just Christianity.

The Hebrews were polytheistic Akhenaten influenced them with monotheism. Then the Babylonian captivity gave the Israelites the notion of good guy vs. bad guy because of Zoroastrianism. Now there's Judaism.

Christianity is a bastardized form of Judaism. The Romans/Byzantines/Catholic Church had to get the pagan tribes to convert, so they incorporated a lot of the pagan traditions like Yule into Christmas, even though Jesus—if he existed—would've been born in spring.

Then there's other stuff like the whole flood and ark myth. Got that from the Sumerians' story of Gilgamesh. Jesus is just a combined rehash of Osiris, Dionysus, Herakles (Hercules), Mithra, etc. - virgin-birth savior of the world with disciples yadda yadda yadda.

Honestly, after looking at religions' histories and how they all pretty much plagiarized one another, I don't know how anyone could believe any one to be true, and that's without even getting into the of lack of proof for any.

Oh yea I'm aware. I just meant Christianity stole so many of their beliefs and practices from previous belief systems.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:19 am

Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

It’s because the authorities have created an environment where law abiding people can’t police their own neighbourhoods.

Years ago these little toe rags would have been beaten senseless by local people and the police would have beaten them again.

I think there’s some sort of conspiracy where people are being put into a position whereby they are wholly reliant on the state, and any variation will result in arrest and prosecution.

Laws to do that have been being implemented ever since Cromwell took over Parliament, we've had some of the strictest public laws in the Western world.

The establishment have been bitten by the common man and don't want that repeated, your life isn't important in comparison to that issue in their view and neither is your right to protect yourself.

Again you'll notice our self defense laws are also some of the strictest and its for that same reason, they want a docile public.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Tommy Robinson jailed for contempt of court....

* Accuses the Press of not being interested in a trial because of some conspiracy in his head.....but in fact its illegal to report on the trial because there are reporting restrictions in place for various legal reasons

* Reports details on the trial on Facebook Live

* Gets sent to jail for contempt of court

* Thinks this is unfair

Call it a stupidity tax Tommy. Crack a book while you're in there
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 am

Alan Turing will be the new face on the £50 note from next year.

National hero. There is no one more deserving of this honour.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:10 pm

The funny thing is he would have been horrified at the thought of being famous when he was alive. He and his team never spoke a word about anything they did. Secrecy was ingrained, even long after the war was over.

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:26 pm

I was reading some stuff about him earlier, and came across an excerpt from a letter he had sent to the mother of a young man, Christopher Morcom, to whom he was very close at aged 19, and who had died prematurely from TB.

I am sure I could not have found anywhere another companion so brilliant and yet so charming and unconceited. I regarded my interest in my work, and in such things as astronomy (to which he introduced me) as something to be shared with him and I think he felt a little the same about me ... I know I must put as much energy if not as much interest into my work as if he were alive, because that is what he would like me to do.

It's very touching, and reflects both his intelligence and his humanity at such a young age. It's said that Morcom's death threw Turing so deeply into his work that he was able to achieve what he did.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee