In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: Re: In the news today....

Postby Goonerred » Wed May 18, 2022 6:19 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
Goonerred wrote:The WHO pandemic treaty 2022. Can't find out much about it except that WHO will decide what a pandemic is and tell elected Governments what they should and shouldn't do. Does anyone know about this, I don't like the sound of it at all.

WHO = NWO

I know that sounds conspiracy theorist, but giving all governments the power to unite (even temporarily) under a non-democratic bunch of nerds is rather concerning.

Well, it makes you wonder.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby UFGN » Wed May 18, 2022 6:22 pm

Phil71 wrote:Pretty soon your £10 note will be worth £9.

There are very few countries in the developed world who are not suffering with high inflation though. Lots of external factors influencing it, primarily the hangover from the pandemic and the war in Europe.

I doubt any if that bothered you when Labour were getting the blame for the financial crash in 2008

Or for borrowing too much money, even though borrowing increased by £600BN under the Tories from 2010, even before Covid and despite "austerity"
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:42 pm

UFGN wrote:

There are very few countries in the developed world who are not suffering with high inflation though. Lots of external factors influencing it, primarily the hangover from the pandemic and the war in Europe.

I doubt any if that bothered you when Labour were getting the blame for the financial crash in 2008

Or for borrowing too much money, even though borrowing doubled under the Tories from 2010, even before Covid and despite "austerity"

Yawn
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Wed May 18, 2022 7:06 pm

Phil71 wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Or for borrowing too much money, even though borrowing doubled under the Tories from 2010, even before Covid and despite "austerity"

Yawn

But I'm right.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Re: In the news today....

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu May 19, 2022 5:42 am

Wait til the next GE, it'll still all be Gordon Brown's fault :rolleyes:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat May 21, 2022 11:07 pm

Monkeypox

Next big thing?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby UFGN » Sun May 22, 2022 1:12 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61528286

This is definitely worth a read.

To those who would sling mud around at the BBC and claim we don't need it, be careful what you wish for.

Would a private news organisation have had the inclination to give a journalist the time and resources to fight this case? I very much doubt it.

UFGN

Postby jayramfootball » Sun May 22, 2022 7:31 am

UFGN wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61528286

To those who would sling mud around at the BBC and claim we don't need it, be careful what you wish for.

Would a private news organisation have had the inclination to give a journalist the time and resources to fight this case? I very much doubt it.

Many private news organisations are fighting tooth and nail to overcome censorship.
The BBC have become quite biased and untrustworthy like many media outlets.
Probably time for the BBC to go private. The whole TV licence fee is a joke. Forced subscription.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby EliteKiller » Sun May 22, 2022 7:43 am

It's the opposite - the fact that the BBC are now pushing the first decent bit of investigative journalism, done almost entirely by a journalist working alone, as a huge BBC coup - shows just how far they have fallen.

Where were the BBC on investigating pretty much any of the major world issues in the last ten years? - nearly all investigative journalism is now carried out by private individuals and companies - the BBC is just a mouthpiece for whatever clickbait subject is doing the rounds. Little better than CNN or FOX although so far not as bias.

No way should the BBC extort money from the public anymore, paying for a service should be a choice not a legal requirement, it's not the 1940's anymore.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:15 am

The BBC is a politically correct monstrosity that spends a tax on the public to fund a horrendously expensive woke agenda.

The licence fee should be scrapped immediately. Right now.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Sun May 22, 2022 8:21 am

Phil71 wrote:The BBC is a politically correct monstrosity that spends a tax on the public to fund a horrendously expensive woke agenda.

The licence fee should be scrapped immediately. Right now.

Agreed.
The far left wing driven woke agenda seems to be spreading like a cancer everywhere destroying society. I think it’s given oxygen by media though, because it seems most people either reject it or just go along with it because they don’t want the hassle.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby UFGN » Sun May 22, 2022 10:02 am

EliteKiller wrote:

It's the opposite - the fact that the BBC are now pushing the first decent bit of investigative journalism, done almost entirely by a journalist working alone, as a huge BBC coup - shows just how far they have fallen.

Where were the BBC on investigating pretty much any of the major world issues in the last ten years? - nearly all investigative journalism is now carried out by private individuals and companies - the BBC is just a mouthpiece for whatever clickbait subject is doing the rounds. Little better than CNN or FOX although so far not as bias.

No way should the BBC extort money from the public anymore, paying for a service should be a choice not a legal requirement, it's not the 1940's anymore.

This is just patently untrue. BBC News does in depth and undercover journalism all the time. This was highlighted by them because of the government's response to it.

The BBC is respected all over the world. In countries where there is war or oppression going on where to people turn to for reliable news? The BBC.

Why should we pay for it? Well I agree that from a drama and comedy point of view they're pretty crap. And I don't especially want to pay for some Muppet to get help selling their antiques.

But BBC News..... Why do you think it's constantly attacked by the government? Because they don't like a strong and organised group of journalists holding them to account.

And here's the thing you righties forget..... They did exactly the same to the Labour government in the nineties and noughties. Very uncomfortable ministers being asked questions about Dr David Kelly springs to mind. Their coverage of that was wall to wall.

Why do you think the press don't like the BBC and are always happy to bash it? Well that's obvious.... they're jealous of its resources and hate that it doesn't have to turn a profit like they do.

Lastly, BBC news is unbeatable soft power for our country. Any country would kill to have it. It is one of the most, if not the most, trusted news organisation in the world. Unswayed by commercial interests and independent, so far, of government. People all over the world see it and they know it comes from the UK. Some countries have to project soft power by funding dodgy football clubs through crooked third parties. We provide something a little more substantial.

UFGN

Postby jayramfootball » Sun May 22, 2022 10:06 am

About time:

Ministers have opened up a fresh front with the BBC over accusations of its editorial bias by launching a major review focused on its compliance with ‘impartiality requirements’.

A mid-term review being announced later this week is expected to reignite tensions between the Government and the Corporation over claims that its output is too skewed towards a Left-wing, so-called ‘Islingtonian’ world view.

It comes against the backdrop of threats by Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries to scrap the £159-a-year licence fee when the current Royal charter comes to an end in 2027.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby UFGN » Tue May 24, 2022 9:06 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-u ... a-61573831

.......and another school shooting in America

Hope the NRA Y'all Queda mob are happy with themselves. Second amendment freedoms are not free....they're paid for in child sized coffins.

"Thoughts and prayers" yet again?

UFGN

Postby Rockape » Wed May 25, 2022 7:00 am

I’m a 60yr old bloke who isn’t prone to being emotional, but seeing the pictures of the children who’ve had their young lives wiped out by this piece of shit, just makes me want to cry.

How can it be possible that an 18 yr old can buy two assault rifles and a back pack full of ammo….. it just defies belief! Stupid, stupid Americans!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee