General Chit Chat

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: General Chit Chat

Postby Dynamite » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:43 pm

The metabolism of every human is different some people have huge success with diet A while others have no success at all with it.

The way to success is move your lazy ass more than before while don't eat for two people and try to avoid to much crap food.
It's that simple.
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Dynamite wrote:The metabolism of every human is different some people have huge success with diet A while others have no success at all with it.

The way to success is move your lazy ass more than before and don't eat for two people and try to avoid to much crap food.
It's that simple.

Was just about to say the same. Everyone is different, try different things and see what works for you.

But yes, everything in moderation, just don't be a glutton and a lazy prick.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:16 pm

StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I lost all my weight first then started to try and build muscle afterwards. It probably wasn't the best way to do it, but all I ate was tuna and chicken, I pretty much starved myself and did a ton of cardio, but the weight melted off within weeks. Went from 220 lbs to 180 lbs. And since have put back on about 10 to 15 lbs of mostly muscle, but a little beer too! :)

Tuna and chicken with what?

Nothing. :lol:

I would just eat cans of tuna for lunch and dinner, and/or grilled chicken breast. Eggs for breakfast. Like I said it wasn't the best way to do it, but I got enough nutrients and protein, and after about 45 mins of cardio each day it melted off fast!

Interesting ........... so you basically did the carnivore diet I mentioned.

What about vitamins?

Didn't your energy levels suffer when training? the body for immediate energy goes straight to glucose because it burns faster and is abundant as its used for nothing but energy.
The next thing it burns in absence of glucose is muscle / protein which is counter productive if you want to maintain muscle.
Fat is burned last, it is the hardest to burn hence why for running or strenuous exercise your body doesn't like to use it, its not readily available.

Fat gets burned off as an after burn.

When you've finished training or dieting and then go home and be sedentary or sleeping, that is when your body switches to fat burning.

So what I'm saying is if you were doing running or whatever didn't you feel a bit crap running on fumes?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:22 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I lost all my weight first then started to try and build muscle afterwards. It probably wasn't the best way to do it, but all I ate was tuna and chicken, I pretty much starved myself and did a ton of cardio, but the weight melted off within weeks. Went from 220 lbs to 180 lbs. And since have put back on about 10 to 15 lbs of mostly muscle, but a little beer too! :)

Tuna and chicken with what?

Nothing. :lol:

I would just eat cans of tuna for lunch and dinner, and/or grilled chicken breast. Eggs for breakfast. Like I said it wasn't the best way to do it, but I got enough nutrients and protein, and after about 45 mins of cardio each day it melted off fast!

Interesting ........... so you basically did the carnivore diet I mentioned.

What about vitamins?

Didn't your energy levels suffer when training? the body for immediate energy goes straight to glucose because it burns faster and is abundant as its used for nothing but energy.
The next thing it burns in absence of glucose is muscle / protein which is counter productive if you want to maintain muscle.
Fat is burned last, it is the hardest to burn hence why for running or strenuous exercise your body doesn't like to use it, its not readily available.

Fat gets burned off as an after burn.

When you've finished training or dieting and then go home and be sedentary or sleeping, that is when your body switches to fat burning.

So what I'm saying is if you were doing running or whatever didn't you feel a bit crap running on fumes?

I didn't have good energy levels, but I've always been crap with cardio and energy anyway. But it wasn't like it was horrible or anything. I did a little weights, just to keep the muscles from going away completely, but ate very little and tons of cardio. I don't think any professional would suggest doing it like that, but like I said it worked. I would imagine it's kind of like MMA fighters cutting weight. It's not the healthiest way to go about it, but you lose weight. My cardio was strictly on the elliptical machine, I did a little bit of running here and there, but very little.

Oh and I'm not a supplement guy at all, I'm not convinced they work (read a bunch of studies and professional opinions). I've tried a few and didn't feel any different or gain anything at all. I know a personal trainer who is at the highest level you can get and he doesn't do supplements for the same reason and he's ripped. He tells is clients to do whatever works for them though. All I do is protein powder now.

One more thing. I was REALLY, REALLY strict with my diet though. I didn't allow any cheat days, and no junk food at all. Had a few beers here and there, but that's it really.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 pm

There's loads of evidence that a carnivore diet is great for weight loss.

Thing is I want something maintainable, that I can do all year, and as I do quite explosive training if I have no carbs I'll crash.

Best thing for me is to maintain my calories and keep the slight deficit going.

I can't afford to be at work or at the gym like a zombie.

As a meat lover though it is appealing, but effectively it works like any other diet, your limiting your intake because there's only so much meat you'll eat and its quite heavy so you feel full for longer, also the lack of sugar and bad trans fats mean's your body will use that intake all naturally.

Even if I tried it, liked it etc I know that the effects for me will probably not be great.

.............. I may try it though for a week out of curiosity and do carbs prior to a work out only (night before).
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:06 pm

StLGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:You should be on the right track with that diet then. If you're trying to build you'll need some carbs.

*protein

Figured that part was obvious, but some people think carbs are bad, but if you're exercising and trying to build you need them.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LMAO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:01 pm

StLGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:You should be on the right track with that diet then. If you're trying to build you'll need some carbs.

*protein

Figured that part was obvious, but some people think carbs are bad, but if you're exercising and trying to build you need them.

Didn't mean to insinuate you didn't know what you were talking about, just said it for the people who roll through here and may not know.

As for the people who swear off carbs, they're wrong. Carbs are life <3

I may be proven wrong with peer reviewed articles and clinical studies, but diets like keto are foolish and dangerous in the long run imo

You need a good balance of all the macros to function at peak performance (but the ratios will be different for everyone depending on their fitness goals). Protein to build muscle/mitigate muscle loss, carbs to give you energy so that you can build muscle, and fat to keep you alive.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Carbs are bad for you but not in small amounts.

Carbs when digested turn into the same thing as cakes, sweets and sugar ..............glucose.

Obviously they are more healthy nutrition wise but they still spike your insulin and still make you put on weight.

A healthy balanced diet of the 3rd plan is usually best if your an all round guy, i.e a third veg, third protein, third Carb.

People go wrong with lets say a pasta dish or Pizza, that is not a 3rd of carb, you wouldn't eat that much cake or sweets would you? sugar wise there's not much difference.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:12 pm

LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:

*protein

Didn't mean to insinuate you didn't know what you were talking about, just said it for the people who roll through here and may not know.

As for the people who swear off carbs, they're wrong. Carbs are life <3

I may be proven wrong with peer reviewed articles and clinical studies, but diets like keto are foolish and dangerous in the long run imo

You need a good balance of all the macros to function at peak performance (but the ratios will be different for everyone depending on their fitness goals). Protein to build muscle/mitigate muscle loss, carbs to give you energy so that you can build muscle, and fat to keep you alive.

Yea I hear ya, no offense taken my friend!

Agree with you on the rest as well.

I found myself reading too much about it all and then finding contradictions with what some say as opposed to what others say, even people that were supposed to be professionals. I think some over here in the states tend to ask their doctors about it, but from what I have heard, doctors spend very little time on nutrition in medical school, so they aren't really the best people to ask. In the end, like many have said here already, everyone is different, we all have similarities of course, but you just gotta find out what works for you based on what your goal is.

Right now, I just pretty much try to maintain where I'm at. I did set a goal for myself that I want a six pack again by the summer time here. Even if it's for a day, I just want to see if I can see some abs again before I die, won't be a bad goal to reach as I turn 41 in a month and half. :)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:16 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Carbs are bad for you but not in small amounts.

Carbs when digested turn into the same thing as cakes, sweets and sugar ..............glucose.

Obviously they are more healthy nutrition wise but they still spike your insulin and still make you put on weight.

A healthy balanced diet of the 3rd plan is usually best if your an all round guy, i.e a third veg, third protein, third Carb.

People go wrong with lets say a pasta dish or Pizza, that is not a 3rd of carb, you wouldn't eat that much cake or sweets would you? sugar wise there's not much difference.

That's not true. It really is as simple as CICO (calories in, calories out) that has to do with your weight. Macros (fat, carbs, protein) are just there for vitamins and nutrients.

You can eat 1500 calories of nothing but carb-loaded food like cake and chips (what you call crisps) and you'll still lose weight if your TDEE is 1800 calories/day.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Dynamite » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Your body needs glucose especially your brain and the blood in moderation of course.
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:26 pm

You are right but you would never be able to eat just junk food and stay with in your calorie intake unless you have freakish will power imo.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Dynamite » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:You are right but you would never be able to eat just junk food and stay with in your calorie intake unless you have freakish will power imo.

50% of all (former) students will disagree
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:37 pm

LMAO wrote:

That's not true. It really is as simple as CICO (calories in, calories out) that has to do with your weight. Macros (fat, carbs, protein) are just there for vitamins and nutrients.

You can eat 1500 calories of nothing but carb-loaded food like cake and chips (what you call crisps) and you'll still lose weight if your TDEE is 1800 calories/day.

Did you fkin read what I wrote?

You do annoy me sometimes because in your quest to "get one up" so you look knowledgeable you've basically either misunderstood (in which case your forgiven) or worse misrepresenting what I'm saying.

"That's not true" in response to "Carbs spike your insulin and still make you put on weight" comparing that to cakes and sweets.

Which part of that is "Not true" exactly?

Effectively your saying carbs don't make you put on weight........... how the fk does that make sense?

Then you go off on this tangent about Calories .......... like my whole diet isn't predicated to that fact ffs!

Are you saying carbs don't give off calories, no? ........... then carbs can make you put weight on then can't they Einstein!

Fk me your hard work sometimes.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Did you fkin read what I wrote?

You do annoy me sometimes because in your quest to "get one up" so you look knowledgeable you've basically either misunderstood (in which case your forgiven) or worse misrepresenting what I'm saying.

"That's not true" in response to "Carbs spike your insulin and still make you put on weight" comparing that to cakes and sweets.

Which part of that is "Not true" exactly?

Effectively your saying carbs don't make you put on weight........... how the fk does that make sense?

Then you go off on this tangent about Calories .......... like my whole diet isn't predicated to that fact ffs!

Are you saying carbs don't give off calories, no? ........... then carbs can make you put weight on then can't they Einstein!

Fk me your hard work sometimes.

Don't get upset with me because you can't type what you mean, then act vexed when someone calls you out. Maybe going to anger management will help you work out your issues :dontknow:

Carbs have f**k all to do with whether you gain weight, lose weight, or maintain weight. That's what calories do, hence me writing "You can eat 1500 calories of nothing but carb-loaded food like cake and chips (what you call crisps) and you'll still lose weight if your TDEE is 1800 calories/day." This guy lost 27 pounds eating nothing but Twinkies and other high carb junk food: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html, further proving my point that carbs have f**k all to do with weight.

You're the one who typed "Carbs when digested turn into the same thing as cakes, sweets and sugar ..............glucose. Obviously they are more healthy nutrition wise but they still spike your insulin and still make you put on weight." Maybe if you weren't so vague, people wouldn't interpret that as you stating cakes, sweets, and sugar make you put on weight. Sure they can, if you eat too many calories worth of them that puts you over your daily calories limit.

I realize it can be hard to admit you were wrong/inaccurate and move on, but no need to get defensive and come at people.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee