General Chit Chat

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: General Chit Chat

Postby Zenith » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 am

CF is an easier and more common position for a young player to thrive in.

Midfield is far more sophisticated and requires more consistency and concentration. The margin for error is much smaller.

R9's decision-making was erratic at best and played in the weakest league of the three. Ultimately you can only beat what's in front of you and he had absolute freak statistics for a player of his age. Ridiculously well-timed runs in behind, pace to burn and the composure of a seasoned top level striker. Also hugely benefited from having Nilis alongside him putting chance after chance on a platter for him and help him become more mature when it came to decision making. R9 himself many times referred to Nilis as the best striking partner he has ever played with and learnt the most from. Nilis was to R9 at PSV what Bergkamp was to Henry at Arsenal.

I've never seen a player with Cesc's vision and passing range at age 16. Did all the stuff Xavi and Pirlo were praised for during their late '20s and early '30s. Undoubtedly one of the, if not the most natural play makers of the last couple of decades.

Whilst not quite as refined when it came to rounding off chances as R9 was at the same age, Messi was probably the most complete footballer of the three. Merking defenders in all areas of the field, creating, scoring - he could do it all and do it consistently at a very young age. Didn't quite have Cesc's passing range but was a lot more mature in terms of on-field behavior and general antics, which—in Cesc's case—continued to be rather cringe-worthy throughout his career.

At 16-17 all three covered different positions and played in different leagues under different circumstances.

Ultimately Messi, Fàbregas and R9 are all up there - there is no obvious choice.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 am

Owen was a beast to at 18
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Cesc really peaked in 2010. Hindsight 20/20.

As Zen said, at 16, he was nearly as good as Xavi and Pirlo. When he was with us, it used to be a debate - Cesc vs Xavi vs Iniesta vs Pirlo, even if they were different players. Once he left Arsenal, it all went downhill for him.

2006 - 2010 Cesc is one of the best CMs in Prem history. It's a shame he won't be remembered as much as Gerrard or Lampard, who're slowly becoming two of the most overrated players in Prem history with all the praise English media showers at them. I don't remember Lamps bossing European games or Gerrard repeating Cesc's numerous European performances against big clubs. Yeah, yeah, Istanbul and all but let's not forget Alonso that night.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Jesus is only 20 too, and he's already been the salvation of his team with his goals, been crucified for joining City, and is part of an Invincible team that might win the Trinity of trophies.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Angelito wrote:Cesc really peaked in 2010. Hindsight 20/20.

As Zen said, at 16, he was nearly as good as Xavi and Pirlo. When he was with us, it used to be a debate - Cesc vs Xavi vs Iniesta vs Pirlo, even if they were different players. Once he left Arsenal, it all went downhill for him.

2006 - 2010 Cesc is one of the best CMs in Prem history. It's a shame he won't be remembered as much as Gerrard or Lampard, who're slowly becoming two of the most overrated players in Prem history with all the praise English media showers at them. I don't remember Lamps bossing European games or Gerrard repeating Cesc's numerous European performances against big clubs. Yeah, yeah, Istanbul and all but let's not forget Alonso that night.

Lampard really delivered for chelsea,I remember lots of big moments from him in europe games in terms of goals, assists and putting big defensive shits in, he wasn't a controller to the level of xavi, scholes, prime cesc or pirlo, doesn't mean he wasn't a beast in chelsea colours though.

I think gerrard delivered to, he wasn't an elite controller but in the final third he could tear you apart.
Marsbar100

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 pm

Angelito wrote:
2006 - 2010 Cesc is one of the best CMs in Prem history.

Rank them - Keane, Lampard, Vieira, Scholes, Fabregas, Gerrard.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Zenith » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:

1 Wilshere
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Easy...

DM's:
1) Vieira
2) Keane

B2B:
1) Lampard
2) Gerrard

DLP:
1) Fabregas
2) Scholes

If you have to put them all together in terms of overall quality/prowess (my opinion don't forget...not fact)

1) Vieira
2) Keane
3) Fabregas
4) Scholes
5) Lampard
6) Gerrard

Technically Fabregas are Scholes and a million miles ahead of the rest but Vieira and Keane are the best two central midfielders in Prem history for me. Their battles, their scraps, their desire/determination and their surprising level of quality puts them on top.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:15 pm

vieira comfortably best CM in prem history
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:24 pm

I feel to young to really judge paddy and keane properly, at a push you could probably make cases for all of them being better than each other though.
Marsbar100

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:57 am

Really struggling to pick a POTY.

Activity around here has waned drastically due to the state of the club.

While I've been wracking my brain trying to choose someone it's reminded me of so many great memebers who have given up or post sporadically at best.

Off the top of my head Dai Dillenger, Mecurial Gooner, Fenice, DenisE, Dubs4Sam, Callum, Brandon, ThisisnotanID, Pudpop, ESFSAFC, Ivan Itchybumn, Git, UFGN, ThereisBearCum, and Est.83 are all top posters whose presence has decreased or vanished altogether over the last year or so.

It's depressing tbh, the board used to have so much more vitality.

Shout out to all the real ones who are still here keeping the forum alive. <3
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Massa » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Most threads are filled with merry go round discussions mainly focusing around the Wenger Out circle jerk. It's no wonder the vitality has gone.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:

As Zen said, apples and oranges but in my 3-man midfield, I'd feature:

----- Keane
Vieira - Scholes

It's really difficult to rank them because they're so different.

Lampard is not a traditional CM, nor a traditional CAM. He's a good CM, a good CAM, and extraordinary goal-scorer and a world class player. How do you reconcile that? Gerrard is more versatile. Cesc is probably the best DLP in Prem history. Arguable as Alonso was spectacular here too. And, Ozil is the best CAM. Had to say that. :P

Scholes is probably the most "European" CM - with his intelligence, vision, and ability to dictate the tempo of the game. And, Keane is someone who you'd want out there no matter what because of his skills, passion, mind, and leadership qualities. He's the quintessential captain. His sheer presence makes the difference.

Finally, as a pure CM, Vieira is the best in PL history.

Whereas Keane, Scholes, Gerrard, and Alonso succeeded in Europe, Vieira did not. That's a knock on him. In fact, Keane was arguably ManU's best player in their CL campaign in 1998-99.

Very difficult to rank them.

Thinking about it, some of those players are superior versions of our own players today. Cesc is a complete version of Xhaka. Lampard is rich man's Ramsey. Scholes is what Wilshere could have been. Elneny might be poor man's Keane.

Interesting.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Massa wrote:Most threads are filled with merry go round discussions mainly focusing around the Wenger Out circle jerk. It's no wonder the vitality has gone.

Hence the reason I said activity is down due to the state of the club.

We've all known for years now that Wenger needs to go. It's beyond boring.

There is nothing new to talk about or any cause for optimism, it's just the same stale regurgitated discussions.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee