driving test saga

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

driving test saga

Postby elkanofan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Ok here's the story: What should i do, give up? Book another test where my uni is, book another one in london or pay 300+ plus pound for a fast pass test thing before i go back to uni?

I'm 21 now and i wanted to start learning to drive and pass as soon as possible and start learning at 17, mum said she'd sort out the lessons, so i thought ok, every few months for a year despite saying we would sort lessons out, in the end nothing happened for a year.

When i finally started in 2008 i get stuck with a idiot driving instructor who was just poor at teaching me what i needed to drive. I openly admit i was poor with the theory test (took three attempts) But after that was sorted, my driving skills where ok.. It was then in the lead up to the first test i realized my instructor was just a fool who wanted money. we did two mock tests. 1st one i failed which i didn't mind and agree with since i was overwhelmed in a roundabout. Second one i did, well nothing wrong! but he made up some rubbish about i didn't check my blind spot! Which i did! i swore by it! In the maneuver i checked the blind spot. he was just enjoying the money so much he didn't want me to take the test.

Now here's where it gets terrible. September 2009 we have the test booked,the lesson before the test day wasn't great and he was banging on about moving the test back, i said that wasn't possible since i was going uni a few weeks later far from where i live. When he dropped me off i ran through the procedure for the test day and he said. I'll pick you up on the day at the time, 1 hour before the test. Test day comes, I'm waiting, so i decide to call him to see if he's late to arrive. he says he's not coming because he thinks i have no chance in passing. So i didn't have the test, me and my family took it in goes to rage at him and that's the last i heard from the guy.

Basically he was scared i would pass and he was getting so comfortable with the two hour lessons!

Now because of uni, we did nothing again for a year, just had two lessons, and only decided to pick it up around January this year 2011! In march i had my first test, which i failed. My instructor was very good, prep was good, i was just unlucky since i don't fully know the ins and outs of the roads i when on. On a highway i needed to change lane right in the independent driving part, i signaled right but couldn't change lane because the cars were going so dam fast, i ended up bearing off left with the right signal still on, and it was my fault really.

Second test was back at home. The instructor wasn't great, very negative but my driving was very good. He even said, he was very surprised to see me still as a learner. Test day in June, the LAST day before my theory expired! Prep before was ok, at times dodgy but i was driving perfectly in the hour practice before. I start the test, i have to turn right. The traffic lights/ crossing is hugely busy (rush hour), i couldn't see the island for me to move level with. i didn't know that was what failed me to the end and i didn't take it well at all. Never been so pissed! Again my fault. Had 8 minors and basically i drove well enough to pass apart from at the first turn which was so frustrating.

Now today was the third test. Now this driving instructor is brilliant. I been driving really well, great car. today prep was perfection. yet the test was a disaster. unlike the other tests before it wasn't my fault. the examiner just was clearly determined to fail me. I mean he said the first serious was again the right turn, it was the car coming opposite needed to slow down because i turned too late, despite there being a massive time gap allowing me to turn safely, also if i was the positions where in reverse and i was going through lights but someone was turning right in the opposite direction across my path, would you look ahead and slow down to compensate. Especially when he has time to move. Second fault was apparently i cut in on a veiche beside me on a roundabout, which was imo just ridiculous. i left him plenty of room, infact i made a worse error afterwords signalling so late for a left turn off which he didn't even notice.

I cant get another test until November in the area where my uni is. I'm in 3rd year. At the moment i willing do one of those fast pass test things in a weeks time or so! I want to get this out of the way before i go back to uni! What do you think, anyone else having a soap opera with their driving? What should i do?

I don't even want to talk about the amount of money spent!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Re: driving test saga

Postby gunRAR » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:15 pm

hey mate i kind of feel for you. but my story is a bit better lol. i had a terrible instructor for my first time. but since he was the first guy i was with i dint know if he was good or not. my a level exams were coming up so i decided to stop my lessons for then. after a couple of months i decided to get back but with a new instructor and he turned out to be brilliant. so i booked my test for coming october 10. im gonna move out to uni next week so it wasnt going good becuase id have to cancel it. but luckily i found out someone had cancelled for sept 12 so i went for it. i was thinking id fail and come back in jan from uni and give it another ago. but luckily i passed. as you said a lot depends on your examiner. if they wanna fail you they will. i got lucky because i had a very laid back one and was very lenient. i stopped on a red light and went on reverse instead of 1st gear and got ready to move. when the green light came i started reversing lol. luckily i clocked it quickly and stopped. i only got a minor. if the instructor wanted to fail me he could have done it easily. all depends on your luck lol.

i dont know what a fast pass test is but if i was you id book one for nov/jan in london and take it when you come back home during that time. you havent missed out on anything though as you prolly wouldnt have bought a car due to insurance prices.
gunRAR
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Dejan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:42 pm

ugh driving tests..
2 weeks ago i had a mid-term driving test, I never drove so shit in my life.

First i had a free hour driving with my driving school, went just fine. Then I had 35 minuts driving test with an examinator. Never drove so horrible in my life. So yeah after 5 minuts i already started swearing and shit and this examinator was an ex-cop (ACAB). So yeah he didnt wanted and he was being a t**t so i was basically raging a bit :D

So yeah, i failed, lol
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Git » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:47 am

Road rage is insta-fail Dejan. :grin:
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby dunkdafunk » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:25 am

better to take test on roads ur familiar with.
but then if ur going to a uni in a smaller city, roads will be a little easier than london.
try book ur test away from rush hour! ur just making ur life difficult.
10.00am is probably best.

And tell as little people about it as possible, so if u fail u dont need the embarrasment of telling everyone! which can add extra pressure.

Drive almost robotically, do each step of mirror, check blind spot, and make it obvious for the examinor that u are looking! litrally turn ur head to look at the mirrors.
with as little emotion as possible and drive defensively, always think "what if" there is an accident or traffic just after the brow of a hill or a bend.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby gunRAR » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:14 pm

dunkdafunk wrote:better to take test on roads ur familiar with.
but then if ur going to a uni in a smaller city, roads will be a little easier than london.

that might be a good idea but you will not be familiar with the area. and it also depends on where elkano is going for uni. there wont be much point if hes going manchester etc
gunRAR
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby elkanofan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:07 pm

And tell as little people about it as possible, so if u fail u dont need the embarrasment of telling everyone! which can add extra pressure.

Drive almost robotically, do each step of mirror, check blind spot, and make it obvious for the examinor that u are looking! litrally turn ur head to look at the mirrors.
with as little emotion as possible and drive defensively, always think "what if" there is an accident or traffic just after the brow of a hill or a bend.

Mate i did all that in my last test, the examiner just determined to fail me! Basically to pass the test i need to dress up nicely act like a chior boy and have a polite conversation with the driving instructor and make him or her relaxed.

We come to thew conclusion that i need to dress up smart for my test. I think it was because i was wwearing a casual t-shirt, average tracksuit and trainers.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gunRAR » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:28 pm

elkanofan wrote:

Mate i did all that in my last test, the examiner just determined to fail me! Basically to pass the test i need to dress up nicely act like a chior boy and have a polite conversation with the driving instructor and make him or her relaxed.

We come to thew conclusion that i need to dress up smart for my test. I think it was because i was wwearing a casual t-shirt, average tracksuit and trainers.

thats taking the piss lol. its a driving test ffs not some college entrance exam. i have seen only 1 guy turn up with shirt and tie for the test and my examiner bursted out laughing. why dont you try a different test centre if you have the option
gunRAR
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Git » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:34 pm

Note to self; don't turn up in your Arsenal shirt.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby TheLittleMozart » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:42 pm

The only advice I could offer you mate is to stick at it and try and get some consistencey in where you take your lessons, before you sit you test.

I started taking lessons when I was 18, must have had around 30 odds but eventually i got bored and packed it in. It was honestly a MASSIVE mistake and I regrett doing it now. Luckily I passed a month ago on my second attempt.... The instructor that passed me was the same guy who failed me the first time!!!

I dont buy the whole 'dress properly or fail' becuase on both times I just worse a t-shirt and shorts, although my second time I didnt even try and start a conversation with the guy. I was just determained to pass.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Leody » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:32 am

Man, seems so long ago to me... driving has become second nature. Not sure how different things are there, but in the States you can get a learner's permit and drive with a parent or guardian during the day. I was taught by my father in a manual trans '93 Ford Taurus SHO. Lots of power. The first time I drove into the city center I stalled at a red light for 3 or more full light changes. Was embarrassed as f**k, but he made me keep doing it till I got it right. Ended up failing my first test because I took it in another town and made an illegal left turn from the right lane of a 1 way street, thinking it was a normal 2 lane road with opposing traffic.

Now, I drive well over 300 miles every week and don't even think twice about it. I could probably drive to work in my sleep.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:02 am

gunRAR wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

thats taking the piss lol. its a driving test ffs not some college entrance exam. i have seen only 1 guy turn up with shirt and tie for the test and my examiner bursted out laughing. why dont you try a different test centre if you have the option

Yeah, ironiclly i saw a guy dressed up really nicely in the waiting room ready for his test also. Wih a shirt, tie, shoes, trousers, the lot, i'm not sure where he was from (Iraq, etc..) but i think he anticipated that since he was foregin he needed to make sure he didn't come arcoss as some dodgy bozo who the instructor wanted to fail.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Ouch, really do feel for you.
Not sure if you know this but examiners have a FAIL rate that they can only pass x amount of learners a month, so a tip would be to book your test as early in the month as you can.
After driving as long as you have, i imagine its quite some time considering 3 tests i would expect you to be a confident & safe driver.
Do you get nervous on test day? If so try taking something kalms (not the night/sleep one FGS!) a few hours before the test just to steady your nerves. also view it as a lesson rather than a test, this all worked for me.

I failed many years ago when i did an intensive course in the Army waaay back in 91, but as it was an army examiner who i didnt particularly see eye-2-eye with he failed me after testing me on all 3 reversings! and i had to do a REAL emergency stop in the middle of Golders Green when a kid ran out in front of me! it was only yrs later i found that i was only meant to be tested on 2, but had given up hope, failing the 1st really knocked my confidence for 6.

It took me until 2006 to decide to take up lessons again, (2 a wk) which as you know this time included the theory, so you could say i passed 1st time 14yrs later!

Good Luck & DONT GIVE UP!
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby TheLittleMozart » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:50 pm

So whats happening with this?

Still plugging away with the lessons are have you given up mate?
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby elkanofan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 pm

have another test again on the 21st this month. It's such a joke really. Had lesson today. Driving is just so piss easy :lol: I mean my new instructor knows i'm very unclucky and he said, there's no skils to work on, i know that. there is NOTHING to work on! My cousin passed recently and he can't reverse round corner and i can do it perfect. It's just about driving around the whole town so you know all te strange roundabouts. We just chat and have a laugh really.

He even agrees the test system is purely about money! It's a trivial joke. people ikeme who can drive well get failed becuase examiners just don't like them and people who can barley drive pass because of smpathy first time.

Basically i believe i failed because of my interntions in what i wanted to do with the licence (drive around, seeing girls etc.. looking and living for material crap) It's just about me having the right intentions for the future and fate will provide me a fair examiner who will pass me really. Thing is, it's all fate, it's definatley more to do with fate than anything, i could of easily passed frst time or passed years ago being illegal but be a total idiot with 2 kids i don't look after spreading narcassisum and misery to everyone.

The divine is trying to make sure my mind is in the right place. I'm not giving up at all, too much money has been spent.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Next

Return to The Harambee