West End Theatre

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

West End Theatre

Postby UFGN » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:49 pm

In the last year or so ive started going to the theatre quite a lot. There are a few reasons for this, firstly i realised how cheap prices can be (about 20-25 quid) and secondly cos im now 30 and i spose i dont care anymore what people think.... I enjoy it so bollocks! I still like football and pubs and the prodigy....

Ive seen Les Miserables many times recently and i cant recommend it highly enough. Just about everyone i know has been bullied into going to see it now, or will be .... Its what started all this off for me after bumping into a bloke who was desperately trying to flog spares about 15 mins before the show one evening. I went in with a mate and i was blown away. The music is so powerful, the performences from the actors gritty and real, the quality of the production and the set leaves you wondering how they do it, and the story itself is complex, clever and emotional. Even when several first choice actors are not playing, their understudies are brilliant and in some cases, better. (Strength in depth, Wenger, take note....) ;)

Other shows ive seen recently are Mama Mia (shite,) Billy Elliot (good,) We Will Rock You (utter shite but good music) and Stomp (very good)
I also saw Cats and Starlight Express when they were on.

I want to see War Horse next.

If you live in london, get yourself some cheap tickets and get to a show. Its a different night out and its available every night. Best availability is mon, tues and wed.

What have you seen either in london or antwhere else?
Last edited by UFGN on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: West End Theatre

Postby TheLittleMozart » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:52 pm

When me and the girlfriend went to London 2 years back, we went to see Wicked at some playhouse and I personally thought it was dynamite!

Also seen Mary Poppin's at an edinburgh playhouse which was utter shite.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GunnGunn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Have been to see Stomp, Lord of the Rings at the Theatre Royal and i am going to see Ghost Stories in a couple of weeks.

Cats, Mamma Mia etc isn't for me, but wouldn't mind going to see Les Miserables.

Have seen a lot of London shows but not specifically "West End", such as Monkey which was excellent.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:58 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Have been to see Stomp, Lord of the Rings at the Theatre Royal and i am going to see Ghost Stories in a couple of weeks.

Cats, Mamma Mia etc isn't for me, but wouldn't mind going to see Les Miserables.

Cats was shite as far as i remember and Mama Mia was a crime it was so bad.

If you do go to see Les Mis pm me and i'll tell you how to get front row seats for 20 quid.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby GunnGunn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Cheers, will do!
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby natalie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks have pmed you
My fave musical is Les Mis seen it few times love it
Seen lots
Been going since I was tiny and Im cough cough old
natalie
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:34 pm

I am going to see Ghost Stories tomorrow, anyone been?
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Seen Stomp, that was good, especially if you're a drummer.
Would never see any Abba/Queen revival type shite as I'd rather just watch an old video of them on VH1.
Haven't seen anything for a while though as I work in that area so I'm f***ing sick of the sight of the place.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:30 am

natalie wrote:Thanks have pmed you
My fave musical is Les Mis seen it few times love it
Seen lots
Been going since I was tiny and Im cough cough old

Hello for some reason i cant seam to pm you back. In answer to your question, phone delfont macantosh theatres box office direct, or go to the queens box office in person, and ask for seats in row "BB". These are RIGHT at the front, even in front of row A, and are classed as restricted view because they are so close to the stage. So close in fact that your toes actually touch the stage. Its an amazing experience being so close to the action. 20 quid each. No-brainer! Keep it to yourself and dont put this info on any theatre forums or anything, otherwise they will become impossible to get.

UFGN

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:06 am

Speaking of musicals I'm watching Les Miserables for the umpteenth time today, this time the 25th year edition at the O2 (that's the Millennium Dome right)?
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Zedie » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Took the bird to see Avenue Q, was actually quite good. Also, as a kid, i was taken to see Starlight express by my gran. I was absolutely amazed by that show, it was unreal! The set design was nuts, they actually had ramps going up walls, through the crowds and up in the gods. I got home and whacked my skates on after seeing that lol.

Was also forced to go to Dirty Dancing with my bird and her cousins who were over from the US. I realised while there, that Dirty Dancing at the theatre is to women what football is to men. There were literally herds of rabid women singing along to every song, crying at certain parts and celebrating in the isles when the actor dropped the 'Nobody puts baby in the corner' line.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Used to go some time back and have seen

The Graduate
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Fame
An an Operetta (Opera lite) at the Royal Opera House

Went to see Fela late last year. That was at the Southbank.
Which was good.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:28 pm

I saw Legally Blonde the musical on thursday and it was actually quite good............. :hiding:
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Gooner Girl » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Saw Mamma Mia for my 29th birthday and really enjoyed it, but then i love Abba and cheesey romance so it couldn't go wrong.
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Ghost Stories was pretty good.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Next

Return to The Harambee