Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Which one did you get?

Pfizer-BioNTech
32%
Moderna
15%
Janssen (J&J)
6%
Oxford-AstraZeneca
29%
Sinopharm/Sinovac
No votes
Sputnik-V
No votes
Not vaccinated yet
18%

Total votes : 34

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 am

Callum wrote:Looks like the Pfizer vaccine is even more effective than originally thought; up to 95% now after 90% was the effectiveness rate drawn from their preliminary data.

covid-19, we're coming for you

Most flu vaccines are 95% effective - you're confusing a vaccine with a cure ...

A virus vaccine assists the body in creating antibodies or T-cells so that when you are infected you can safely fight of the virus, this does not mean you can't catch the virus, just that when you do it will have only a limited impact ...

Take flu, we nearly all suffer from flu in most years, for 95% (flu jab or not) those symptoms tend to be mild, for the vulnerable who take the flu jab it is a potential life saver ...

The same will apply with Covid, assuming the lock-down ends then just as with flu we will all likely still be exposed, even if we all take the 95% effective Covid vaccine that still means for 5% that will not work, in the UK that's 3.3 million people ...

A Covid vaccine is a big step forward, however just as the flu jab hasn't stopped 500,000 people dying from flu every year, nor will the Covid jab fully stop Covid.

The real fear is that different Covid strains will emerge against which the vaccine is ineffective, just as with flu, we may be "coming for Covid" but the war, just like flu, could be centuries long.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:52 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Callum wrote:Looks like the Pfizer vaccine is even more effective than originally thought; up to 95% now after 90% was the effectiveness rate drawn from their preliminary data.

covid-19, we're coming for you

Most flu vaccines are 95% effective - you're confusing a vaccine with a cure ...

A virus vaccine assists the body in creating antibodies or T-cells so that when you are infected you can safely fight of the virus, this does not mean you can't catch the virus, just that when you do it will have only a limited impact ...

Take flu, we nearly all suffer from flu in most years, for 95% (flu jab or not) those symptoms tend to be mild, for the vulnerable who take the flu jab it is a potential life saver ...

The same will apply with Covid, assuming the lock-down ends then just as with flu we will all likely still be exposed, even if we all take the 95% effective Covid vaccine that still means for 5% that will not work, in the UK that's 3.3 million people ...

A Covid vaccine is a big step forward, however just as the flu jab hasn't stopped 500,000 people dying from flu every year, nor will the Covid jab fully stop Covid.

The real fear is that different Covid strains will emerge against which the vaccine is ineffective, just as with flu, we may be "coming for Covid" but the war, just like flu, could be centuries long.

I said this exact thing to someone about lockdown.

They were like "Well if every one does what their told Covid will go away" and I stated, so when we sat in for 3 months in the first lockdown, how come the Flu is still here?

Its a respitory illness, same as Covid.

I agree with you, vaccine or no vaccine something this spreadable will never go away.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 pm

EliteKiller wrote:Most flu vaccines are 95% effective - you're confusing a vaccine with a cure ...

Christ, so much misinformation here.

Not once have I said that the vaccine is a cure, because it isn't. It's about protecting as many people as possible from contracting COVID-19, leading to herd immunity and bringing an end to the pandemic. This coronavirus will likely never be eradicated but we can bring an end to the pandemic and stop people becoming infected and dying at the rate they have been in 2020.

It's also naive and wrong to conflate coronavirus and influenza viruses, because they are completely different. Influenza viruses mutate at a much higher rate than others, and therefore getting the flu shot one year doesn't protect you much for the next flu season a year later. This isn't the case for coronoviruses, and the spike protein that is used to infect humans is exactly what the the vaccines target. When the coronavirus mutates it still depends on this spike protein to infect our cells, otherwise it can't cause us a severe illness.

It's for this reason that the influenza vaccine is nowhere near as effective as the coronavirus vaccines likely will be. Flu vaccines are not 95% effective, so I've no idea where you got that number from. I imagine it's one you just made up to doom-monger as much as possible. A couple of sources:

WebMD: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020090 ... lu-vaccine

On average, it’s been 40% effective, meaning it’s prevented illness 40% of the time. Since health officials started tracking it in 2003, effectiveness has varied from year to year, ranging from a low of 10% in 2004-05 to a high of 60% in 2010-11.

CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine

Seriously, educate yourself before you spread this nonsense. There's all this handwringing and doom-mongering about how we'll never have a vaccine that works, and that the flu never stopped killing hundreds of thousands so the coronavirus won't either, all whilst ignoring the numerous other viruses we've successfully halted in their tracks over the past few decades—polio, rubella, measles, tetanus, hepatitis, mumps.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:47 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I said this exact thing to someone about lockdown.

They were like "Well if every one does what their told Covid will go away" and I stated, so when we sat in for 3 months in the first lockdown, how come the Flu is still here?

Its a respitory illness, same as Covid.

I agree with you, vaccine or no vaccine something this spreadable will never go away.

That's not the point, at all. Lockdown measures have been put in place around the world to buy healthcare authorities time. When the outbreak first hit, ICU units were being overwhelmed and people were dying because there wasn't capacity to treat them all. Lockdown eased pressure on hospitals, and has bought us more time in developing more treatments and getting closer to a vaccine.

There's also numerous places around the world—New Zealand, the Atlantic provinces in Canada, and some Asian countries—where they were able to bring the virus under control via numerous measures and are now living life relatively normally due to these containment measures.

You're right in that this strain of coronavirus will likely never be truly eradicated, but hundreds of thousands of lives could have been saved worldwide had things been handled better.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Yep.

As Callum stated, the virus isn't going away anytime soon. But with these vaccines, we can prevent infections in 90% of the people, thereby, putting a stopper to this pandemic. The Coronavirus will remain much like the HIV virus.

People complaining about the eCoNoMy, Nature doesn't care about the economy or human capital. Likewise, individualism is only as relevant as Nature allows it to be. No matter how great an individual is, whether it's a Buddha, a Jesus, or a Zarathustra, collectivism is how we survived austerity and how we will survive this pandemic.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Fkin Tier 2.

Having a mare ffs, so you won't catch Corona in a Pub as long as you have a fat meal in front of you??? wtf.

So you can eat and drink ........... but not just drink, ok then fker.

I'm voting Labour next election, Boris has pissed me right off.

One month he said, I called him a liar the day he announced it.

Too predictable, fool me once (back in March).

DiamondGooner wrote:
Nope.

The lockdown is not ending in December.

I said this last night as soon as they announced it, then what happened, this morning they're already saying that the one month is a "revision" period of time and it could very well go on longer.

In March they said the lockdown was only for 1 month to 6 weeks, it went on for 3 months.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:55 am

Best Thanksgiving ever when I got a call from my brother! Two and half weeks on a ventilator so his voice was scratchy and he is still very weak as am I, but he made it. His docs said that only 65% of patients on ventilators end up making it. What turned the corner for him was the "Trump treatment" regime as he called it. Not sure what the final course of drugs and therapeutics was exactly but his wife had to sign a waiver for him to get the drugs. He actually watched the Leeds match! :goal1:
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:18 am

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:Best Thanksgiving ever when I got a call from my brother! Two and half weeks on a ventilator so his voice was scratchy and he is still very weak as am I, but he made it. His docs said that only 65% of patients on ventilators end up making it. What turned the corner for him was the "Trump treatment" regime as he called it. Not sure what the final course of drugs and therapeutics was exactly but his wife had to sign a waiver for him to get the drugs. He actually watched the Leeds match! :goal1:

Happy for you mate.

Good to hear, I think from what I've heard Regime is mainly a sort of pumped up steroid type treatment which boosts your body, but as long as it works that's all that matters.

Hopefully this vaccine will end this sh*t for once and for all.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:22 am

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:Best Thanksgiving ever when I got a call from my brother! Two and half weeks on a ventilator so his voice was scratchy and he is still very weak as am I, but he made it. His docs said that only 65% of patients on ventilators end up making it. What turned the corner for him was the "Trump treatment" regime as he called it. Not sure what the final course of drugs and therapeutics was exactly but his wife had to sign a waiver for him to get the drugs. He actually watched the Leeds match! :goal1:
I dont think our leeds game made his will to survive any larger tbh

All jokes aside, great news buddy!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:02 am

Great news.

The medical intervention obviously helps, but every person has their own doctor inside them. Some are better than others.

I hope you both have a speedy return to full health.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:41 am

In other news, Kier Starmer is a coward.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:16 am

Not looking forward to today at work.

Need lockdown back asap
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:03 am

Vaccine approved. Could start from next week.

Normality is around the corner
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:29 pm

It'll take until about April just to vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable.

There is now a light at the end of the tunnel, but it'll take a while yet to get there.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Phil71 wrote:It'll take until about April just to vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable.

There is now a light at the end of the tunnel, but it'll take a while yet to get there.

Boris got a beat down in Parliament today about his fuddy duddy Covid measures.

Saw a clip where he walked out about his dumb ass rules which make no sense.

"Gather in groups of 6 in a bar or restaurant but no drinking unless you eat food".

I could literally punch that fraud bastard in the face, what is it with this war against alcohol ffs? since when did food become a vaccine? you either allow people in bars / pubs or you fkin don't, what the fk has consuming food got to do with it?

Then it was last time "Pubs must shut at 10pm" ....... now its 11pm, what is the rationale behind this exactly?

I'm so done with that guy.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee