Fabianski vs. Szczensy

Re: Fabianski vs. Szczensy

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun May 06, 2012 11:43 am

GunnGunn wrote:Funny that because we actually allow fewer shots on target than most teams in the league.

So when does it become a case of our young unproven goalkeeper not being good enough yet?

We also have more possession than most teams. I'd be willing to bet that we allow the most shots on target per minute not in possession of the ball. Or at least be right up there
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby mg86 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:17 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:I think it was probably Chez's worst game for us. The first goal was a joke, his usual good handling was poor and he was almost Flappyanski like in his indecisiveness. Am I gonna catch it, or aren't I? Communication with the defence was clearly awful as well, that was as much Vermaelen's fault as Chez's though.

He did make an excellent save late on and the critism for the third goal is ridiculous, so he didn't dive, he's never saving it anyway.

What summed up his whole game for me was in the 91st minute or something, when everyone pushes up the field near their box and he gets ready to pump it in Paul Robinson style...... and the ball doesn't even get to the D. Pathetic kicking

This thread is still ludicrous though, because Fabianski plays like that (and sometimes far worse) every single game.

Fabianski was much better in 10/11 before his injury than Sczesny is right now. We also had Djourou starting then and Vermaelen was out. I think its just plain stupid to continue playing a player who isn't producing. We aren't talking about selling him for crying out loud, just to rotate and see if we benefit from it.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun May 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Does anyone genuinely think it would be a good idea to play Fabianski in the last game of the season? Cos I don't!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sun May 06, 2012 4:30 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:
VCC wrote:^^^ critisism for the third is totaly valid,look closely at his movement he was out,he actually moves back and accross,if his movement had been towards the ball making himself big,yhe target would have been smaller and put more pressure on the striker it was a fundamental mistake no question,he opened the goal up for the striker.

No. He did nothing particularly wrong. The defence left the back door wide open and they sprung like lightning. He didn't come out because he had to cover his near post and Koscileny was doing a vague impression of trying to close him down. If he had come out (whilst still shutting the door on the near post) then the far corner would have been an even bigger target. Morrison took the shot very early and it was extremely accurate. You don't save those, that's why the effing defence is supposed to stop situations like that from happening.

nothing he could have done about the shot, but it looked like he could have got to the pass if he kept going
Vermaelen is far more to blame for that goal, no idea what he was thinking, but Sneezy could have got there, or at least made it hard for the striker
Last edited by ThereIsBearCüm on Sun May 06, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sun May 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Does anyone genuinely think it would be a good idea to play Fabianski in the last game of the season? Cos I don't!!!

+1
Fabianski had a decent patch of form a season ago, the rest of his Arsenal career he's been dire
he's a confidence keeper, he's only going to play well if he's had a decent run of games, it would be suicide to play him against West Brom
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sun May 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:The only reason szczesny takes so much stick is that nobody wants to blame kos or verm. I have said all along that they are too similar and will always struggle against a team who plays with a big target man. Kos needs someone organising him and verm is a wannabe centre forward. It is like watching gallas and toure - both decent individuals but never going to work as a partnership IMO.

We still need a samba type to deal with the holts of this world!

agreed, Kos and Verm got bullied yesterday, barely won a header all day
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby mg86 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Does anyone genuinely think it would be a good idea to play Fabianski in the last game of the season? Cos I don't!!!

Too late for that now, plus Szczesny who will want to a make up for this bad game more thank likely. We should have brought Fabianski in earlier in the season when Szczesny was not improving and having poor performances.
Szczesny
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun May 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Yesterday was the only truly awful game I can think of from Szczesny. People will point out odd mistakes here and there which cost us points, but I could point out just as many from Vermaelen and Koscielny.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby mg86 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Yesterday was the only truly awful game I can think of from Szczesny. People will point out odd mistakes here and there which cost us points, but I could point out just as many from Vermaelen and Koscielny.

I too agree the Koschielny partnership is not as great as some believe, but you have to look at Santos, Szczesny, Gibbs and then Vermaelen before blaming anything on Koschielny, he has been awesome this season. Line them up like below since we won't buy a LB and I think we'd be fine. I don't get the criticism for playing him at LB. He bombs forward all the time and is effective in the attack. On top of that, he can defend well, better than Santos or Gibbs.
Szczesny
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Zenith » Sun May 06, 2012 4:55 pm

mg86 wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:Yesterday was the only truly awful game I can think of from Szczesny. People will point out odd mistakes here and there which cost us points, but I could point out just as many from Vermaelen and Koscielny.

I too agree the Koschielny partnership is not as great as some believe, but you have to look at Santos, Szczesny, Gibbs and then Vermaelen before blaming anything on Koschielny, he has been awesome this season. Line them up like below since we won't buy a LB and I think we'd be fine. I don't get the criticism for playing him at LB. He bombs forward all the time can defend well, I think he would do fine there.

TV5 has said several times that he's not comfortable/happy in the LB spot and only wants to play there if there are no alternatives left.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:34 am

Szczesny is certainly no where near ready to be our number 1 for next season. But do you know who else aren't? Fabianki, Mannone, and Almunia, imo. I will admit, though, that I'm being a bit harsh on Mannone because I'm judging him over a few performances with us, those of which he was an absolute disgrace in goal (e.g. the Olympiakos game where he tried clearing the shot at goal with his feet as opposed to catching it with his hand. That was beyond comical goalkeeping :doh: )

Anyway, its either Szcz or a new GK for me. Don't want to see any of the other keepers we have on the books in between the sticks. They're all accidents waiting to happen
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Zedie » Mon May 07, 2012 12:39 am

Plymouth Gooner wrote:There are lies, damn lies and statistics!!! (I forget who said that)

Ian dowie
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon May 07, 2012 12:51 am

Looking at the third goal again, ches should have kept going, as once he decided to back peddle, he could never get into a position to set himself to make a save.

The defense didn't help, everyone should have been in place to defend after we went 3-2 up anyway, why we were looking for a 4th goal to get caught on the break so easily I'll never know. It's not like we need the goal difference, we needed those 2 extra points ffs.

That was by far the worst game from ches in my memory, he looked all at sea from the highlights. He will bounce back though. The fact that threads are popping up questioning whether fabianski and denilson etc should be thrown back in the Frey are cracking me up atm, memories are proper short.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 am

^^^i said this earlier about the goal from Szezney,and exactly right why was the word not on the pitch win at all costs
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Fabianski vs. Szczensy

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon May 07, 2012 7:18 am

Sign tim howard, give everton szczesny on a season long loan as part of the deal.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to 21. Lukasz Fabianski