Fabianski vs. Szczensy

Fabianski vs. Szczensy

Postby mg86 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:40 pm

A player needs consistent game time to find form. All people who have played a sport on here should agree that there is extra pressure being a sub because each minute in the game is an audition to be considered for the first team. Also, every athlete on here should also agree that the most important thing to becoming better is game experience. You can train all you want but you cannot learn the things that you do in-game during drills in training.

Fabianski was coming on and off for Almunia after his blunders up until the 2010/11 season. Problem has been and always been Wenger throws him in during an FA Cup, Champions League or Carling Cup game and then sits him right back down again. How in the hell is a player going to find form that way? This is why I 100% believe the moments where he has had lapses were down to anxiety and jitters from the inconsistent minutes he was receiving, not to being a bad goalkeeper.

Just look at our own teammate over at Sunderland, Bendtner, who has been given consistent game time. O'Neil was smart enough not to listen to the fan's calling for him to be sent back to us because he understands as well that players need time to find form. Now, I would EASILY take him back over Chamakh, Vela and Park if Wenger would play him centrally.

Funny thing is, when Wenger finally saw logic and allowed Fabianski consistent time, we were singing his praises. He performed awesome for us. Suddenly he gets injured, Szczensy finishes the season strong, and he is forgotten. Fair play, Szczesny should have continued on after that form into the new season. Problem is, right now he isn't performing.

Here is my suggestion (Keep in mind Wenger will not buy a new keeper): Why in the world would it not make sense to sit a player down who has not been performing well and has not improved over an entire season? Why not bring on Fabianski after the form he showed before being injured. I really think some of you have forgetten how solid he was for us making saves like this, saves I don't see the 11/12 Szczesny making right now:

Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Fabianski vs. Szczensy

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Szczesny should have grabbed the opportunity given to him this season as a regular starter but he has failed to do so imo. Szczesny has gone backwards in terms of performance and confidence this season. His performances have been littered with silly mistakes all season long. I am not denying he has had a few really good games for us but he has clearly been below par in the rest. Nobody's position should be a given in the team no matter what rather based on current form unless he is RVP. Szczesny has had so much leverage and confidence shown in him by the manager yet he has failed to step up.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby friedslice » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Chesney has nothing outrightly wrong, Fabianski did most times he played. It's a no contest. The way players stock rises the moment they've been out of the side for a while is remarkable. There's always some conspiracy theorists at times like this. At the end of the day, ignoring Chesney completely, Fabianski was shit! If Chesney isn't the answer then Fabianski certainly isn't the answer and we should be adding a goalkeeper to our shopping list. Makes this debate a bit moot really.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby IMF » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:45 pm

I don't think Fabianksi was shit before he got injured last year. He was awesome.

Szczesny hasn't been awesome at all. In fact he hasn't even been average. Sure he doesn't make stupid mistakes but he doesn't exactly make many saves does he?
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby Trequartista » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:06 pm

FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!

A place in the semi-final of the Lev Yashin Cup is at stake....along with a place in Polands Euro2012 squad.

Mad Jens is referee.

BEGIN!

ps. Szczesny would win, he has a longer reach and would go utterly nuts.
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby IMF » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:07 pm

ARSHENAL wrote:FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!

A place in the semi-final of the Lev Yashin Cup is at stake....along with a place in Polands Euro2012 squad.

Mad Jens is referee.

BEGIN!

ps. Szczesny would win, he has a longer reach and would go utterly nuts.

...and then break both his own arms in the process.

I miss mad Jens.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby mg86 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:24 pm

friedslice wrote:Chesney has nothing outrightly wrong, Fabianski did most times he played. It's a no contest. The way players stock rises the moment they've been out of the side for a while is remarkable. There's always some conspiracy theorists at times like this. At the end of the day, ignoring Chesney completely, Fabianski was shit! If Chesney isn't the answer then Fabianski certainly isn't the answer and we should be adding a goalkeeper to our shopping list. Makes this debate a bit moot really.

How can you possibly say that Fabianski up until his injury was shit? You're either holding a deep bias against him off of early performances in his career that you cant move beyond or you didn't watch the games. His saves during that time literally won us several games and his distribution was so much better than Szczesny. There is not a single thing better about our defense that has to do with the keeper, it is because Vermaelen is back and Koschielny has improved greatly compared to 10/11.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:29 pm

When people ask Koscielny who has been our best defender and one of the best in the league to be dropped, why can't we ask for Fabianski to be given a go at number 1? Now ideally we need an experienced goal-keeper under whom our young goalies can learn but its crystal clear Wenger will not buy a GK. IF Wenger ain't going to buy a goal keeper we should be playing the bloke who is in best form right ? Now Szczesny has been in thrid gear all season , not made many howlers but hasn't pulled of many match wining saves either. He may not have made many high profile errors but his game has been littered with silly errors. Give Fabianski a go at No-1 , if he isn't up to the task bench him. Fabianski was never dropped for poor performance. When Diaby can be given such a long leash, why discard Fabianski without trial ?
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Fabianski is rubbish
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Trequartista » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Fabianski is rubbish

:rofll:

Thats told em PG ;) I reckon we can lock down this thread now then?
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Fabianski is a clown

He wasn't awesome before his injury last year, he was just less tragic than he usually is and nowhere near where a PL goalkeeper should be at. Made a few good saves, sure. Made a couple howlers too. Worst part though was he looked just as shit scared as always and couldn't catch a cold.

I completely agree that Ches has been a bit disappointing this season. He started very well I think but then dropped off and most of my memories of him are letting in goals you'd expect him to save. But there's something all you Chesney haters are taking for granted and that's his safe hands. Have you forgotten how you clenched your arse cheeks together every time the ball was crossed into our box with either of the clowns in goal? I haven't. We don't have that any more because he can catch a ball in mid air, a novelty I know.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:22 pm

ARSHENAL wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:Fabianski is rubbish

:rofll:

Thats told em PG ;) I reckon we can lock down this thread now then?

Posts like that usually work for other posters, I thought I'd sink to their level :sneaky:
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:26 pm

can't believe this is even being discussed
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Ultimately, Chesney is still learning the game and probably does need to be a bit more disciplined generally. I honestly think this is another clear cut case of nostalgia clouding peoples memories of trully how bad the Almunia/Fabi axis was.

Chesney has made some mistakes yes, but when was the last time someone brushed him aside on a corner and we lost a goal. How many times has he given the ball back to the opposition for them to take a quick freekick to score?

How many times has he completely missed the ball? If anything, hes been better than Pepe Reina this season in terms of super gaffs so where does that take the argument that hes shit?

Ive already seen suggestions on here that Arshavin would be a better option right now than Gervinho without a hint of sarcasm and i fear its the same situation with Ches atm. We have far bigger flaws in the squad than him.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:19 pm

I don't know what Szczesny is meant to do, when you look at some of the comedy defending that goes on in front of him he deserves more credit, not less!
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to 21. Lukasz Fabianski