Re: Not Good Enough

Postby Massa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:52 am

Give Szczensy a go.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby TheGeneral » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:11 am

The Massa Machine wrote:Give Szczensy a go.

In a big European game in front of a hostile crowd and a team full of divers?

I would've picked Fabianski without even giving it a second thought.
TheGeneral
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:14 am

rogerthornhill wrote:I would say that last night's performance was, by a long way, the worst display from an Arsenal keeper in a very very long time.

Totally agree.
In fact if you try to think back to the last time someone was THAT bad you will invariably end up with another Fabianski performance e.g. Chelsea FA Cup.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:16 am

TheGeneral wrote:
Leody wrote:
gunngunn wrote:You may as well lose all your respect now mate, because AW will still play him and say he is "Top".

You're probably right, but there is no way Wenger could possibly really believe that.

I wonder how this kid ever even got in the team...

You mean in the team ahead of Mannone and Shea?

I mean how did he ever get a contract offer from Arsenal in the first place...

I can't stress enough how basic the three mistakes he made are. They are the first things you learn about playing in goal.

His failure to come out on the first goal at Stoke in the FA Cup was just shocking. He tried to catch a ball against his chest inside his 6 on a set piece for crying out loud!!! That's just unbelievable.

First against Porto... What is he doing so far off his line on a cross from that angle that he has to dive back towards his own net? Maybe he's trying to get a head start on cutting off a cross in front of his area because he has no command of his area and never comes out quick enough? Has no balls to commit to a decision?

Second against Porto... If you ever even DOUBT that you may get called for picking up a ball on a back pass you don't touch it. Just hoof the damn thing into row Z if you have to. And you NEVER turn your back on the ball. Ever. Period. No matter the situation. He turned his back and walked away from the FK.

I've been coached by some very experienced GK's here in the States and those are day one lessons. Things that a PL / International level GK should have as 2nd nature. They should be the most basic of instincts to him by now. And clearly they are not.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 am

I agree Leody, it's so basic it's ludicrous. A 9 year-old wannabe GK could tell you that.

I remember a couple of years ago AW was being criticized for not buying enough British players and he tried to justify it by saying "Why should I pay £9m for Craig Gordon when I can get Fabianski for £3m?"
In his mind they're both at the same level quality-wise.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby TheGeneral » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 am

Leody wrote:
TheGeneral wrote:
Leody wrote:
gunngunn wrote:You may as well lose all your respect now mate, because AW will still play him and say he is "Top".

You're probably right, but there is no way Wenger could possibly really believe that.

Oh, fair enough.

It was a genuine question by the way, I wasn't trying to provoke a reaction or anything.
TheGeneral
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby IMF » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:36 am

Not Good Enough seems to be the phrase used for a lot of our players at the moment.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby Leody » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 am

Inchpractice wrote:I agree Leody, it's so basic it's ludicrous. A 9 year-old wannabe GK could tell you that.

It seriously makes me think to myself "if that's the standard for the PL, then how was I not the greatest GK to ever put on a pair of gloves?" :dizzy:

I called my brother after the match yesterday and I was speechless... I couldn't even think of the words to express the shock I was experiencing. It seriously isn't the slightest exaggeration when I say those three errors would get you dropped from a league two team.

I honestly can't believe what I have seen from him. I can't believe that a player of his quality was ever given a chance at any PL team, let alone a Champions League qualifying team.

You can quote me. "He will NEVER be of any quality in goal, NEVER."

He has shown that he has no command, no communication, no instinct, no desire and now he couldn't possibly have any confidence which is probably the single most important aspect of a keeper's game. 90% of being a keeper is instinct and confidence and they make up 0% of his game.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 am

TheGeneral wrote:
Leody wrote:
TheGeneral wrote:
Leody wrote:

Oh, fair enough.

It was a genuine question by the way, I wasn't trying to provoke a reaction or anything.

Not a problem TG.

You didn't ruffle any feathers here mate.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Besides the two HUGE mistakes he played well I thought.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Forest » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:07 pm

ChVint22 wrote:Besides the two HUGE mistakes he played well I thought.

i thought the same but pity them two mistakes cost the game in a way
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:08 pm

So what? We'll just excuse the fact that he hands teams a goal or two every time he steps on the pitch? :BangHead:

It is the same thing every game. :angry:

I remember a certain German being run out of the team for less than what Fabianski did last night.

I will give you the fact that Fabianski is a decent shot stopper. However, he lacks every other aspect of goalkeeping as I have said before. No need to detail all his shortcomings again.

And the sheer magnitude and amateur nature of his mistakes is just mind-numbing.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Leody wrote:

So what? We'll just excuse the fact that he hands teams a goal or two every time he steps on the pitch? :BangHead:

I remember a certain German being run out of the team for less than what Fabianski did last night.

I will give you the fact that Fabianski is a decent shot stopper. However, he lacks every other aspect of goalkeeping as I have said before. No need to detail all his shortcomings again.

And the sheer magnitude and amateur nature of his mistakes is just mind-numbing.

I was just making a comment, quit looking into it so much. He's still young, so calm the f**k down buddy!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Forest » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Leody wrote:

i do agree but how do you get experience and learn (although he doesnt appear to be learning yet) unless mistakes happen? do you sell a defender because he conceded a goal? do you sell a striker because he missed a good chance?
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby rogerthornhill » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:16 pm

The Titanic's maiden voyage went quite well apart from crashing into the iceberg.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to 21. Lukasz Fabianski