AW: Denilson the key to Song’s goal rush

AW: Denilson the key to Song’s goal rush

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:05 pm

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -goal-rush

Denilson the key to Song’s goal rush

By Chris Harris

There is a key ingredient to Alex Song’s attacking game – and its name is Denilson.

Arsenal were indebted to Song on Saturday after he popped up in the nick of time to plant a diving header past the previously impassable Rob Green and secure a vital 1-0 win over West Ham.

That was Song’s third goal in three games – a decent tally by anyone’s standards but a real eye-opener for a defensive midfielder who had netted just five times in his previous 125 appearances.

Arsène Wenger is perfectly happy to see Song’s name on the scoresheet and he attributes the Cameroon star’s purple patch to a certain Brazilian team-mate.

"Song changes when he plays with Denilson because Denilson plays more of a holding role and he [Song] goes forward more,” explained Wenger.

“I don't stop him because Denilson sits naturally. After the change with Samir Nasri [when Denilson was substituted and Nasri moved to a central role], I was concerned that we could get caught on the break because Song kept going and Nasri goes as well. On two or three occasions we were a bit short in midfield.

“Song wants to get forward. Sometimes defensive midfielders just want to defend but it's not his only role and he does [attack] well in fairness.”
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Re: AW: Denilson the key to Song’s goal rush

Postby mel4 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Denilson and Song have not played together so much this season, rather the pairing has been Song and Wilshere.

If I am to understand what Wenger is hinting at, it is the fact that Song and Denilson play the holdng role, then Song has to add goal-scoring to his role to further cement his position. I don't think we all like him bombing forward and leaving Wilshere, Denilson or whoever slots in besides him, but if he gets us the winner every now and then, I will be pleased.

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: AW: Denilson the key to Song’s goal rush

Postby TheLittleMozart » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Got to admit I have been enjoying the Song Denilson partnership and I have been especially impressed with Denilson's performances of late!
Looks to me though as Song wants to become a more box-to-box midfielder as more times than not thesedays he chrarging forward and leaving Denilson to do all the dirty work.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Return to Denilson