The Greatest Midfielder in the world!!

Re: The Greatest Midfielder in the world!!

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:05 pm

gunngunn wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:Yeah the best at being totally average at eveything :thumbsup:

The Midfield General wrote:To be fair to him, he's not playing in his favoured position.

He's been shit all season and all last season playing in his favoured position. Now it's just more pronounced.

He didn't play in his position last season either.

Enlighten us then please Inch, just where exactly is his best position?

He has played centrally with Cesc with Song behind them and he was crap, he has played DM and he has been crap.

He is a midfielder, so where else is there to play him?

As I said before he's an attacking midfielder who's been dragged into the DM position against his will by Lord Wenger.
Last season with the departure of Flamini he was thrown in at the deep end and started every game there because the boss "..believed he can do it."
First of all he looked lost which is hardly a surprise but he then improved.
This season he's still being played as a DM and has hardly had the chance to play with Song behind him. It's usually either Song as DM or him.

By the way, someone had a rant the other day (it may have been you) about the whole DM/AM thing and what's the point of asking a player only to do one job etc etc?
The point of having a dedicated DM rather than 2 or 3 'all purpose' midfielders is that with someone protecting the back four, our talented AMs feel secure enough to roam forward and make dangerous runs into the box knowing that if they get tackled the DM will be there to clean up the mess.

I still believe that if we'd bought a DM after Flamini left then Denilson would've been given the kind of freedom to roam forward that our other AMs get and consequently he'd now be serious competition with the likes of Ramsey and Diaby, quite possibly better than them by now.
As I said in the other Denilson-bashing thread the man has scored 5 goals in 15 appearances which for someone who's supposed to be crap, is pretty impressive, and it only goes to support my argument that he's an AM.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Tbh Inch, I really think you have the rose tinted's pressed right into your eyes regarding Denilson. I have nothing against him but he's just so supremely average at everything. He's not very good at attacking and not very good at defending either. In fact he's awful at defending. I've always thought of him as just an all round midfielder who can do a job across the park when needed, but even that he can't seem to do with any consistency.

If Denilson is really supposed to be an AM, he's at the wrong club to be perfectly honest. He is miles and miles off the quality of every other 'AM' at the club. Merida is better than Denilson in that position.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:52 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Tbh Inch, I really think you have the rose tinted's pressed right into your eyes regarding Denilson. I have nothing against him but he's just so supremely average at everything. He's not very good at attacking and not very good at defending either. In fact he's awful at defending. I've always thought of him as just an all round midfielder who can do a job across the park when needed, but even that he can't seem to do with any consistency.

If Denilson is really supposed to be an AM, he's at the wrong club to be perfectly honest. He is miles and miles off the quality of every other 'AM' at the club. Merida is better than Denilson in that position.

Let's not forget that the guy is returning from a major injury. He's played what, two games since then?
Don't get me wrong I was screaming at the TV as much as the next gooner when he kept giving the ball away or heading weak clearances away from our penalty box but any player needs time to return from injury. Look at Rosicky and Eduardo.
I just feel that if he'd been given as many chances in a row to play AM as Diaby has then he'd be far better than him by now but he's not being allowed to express himself.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fordy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:01 am

didnt we have all this about diaby a few onth ago
Fordy

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:02 am

Denilson is decent at reading the game and a good interceptor, thats why AW thinks he would be a good DM, his best position is Diaby's position. Playing alongside Cesc, intercepting the opponents passes and laying the ball of to Cesc or shooting from distance, thats all he really offers.
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:08 am

Inchpractice wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:Tbh Inch, I really think you have the rose tinted's pressed right into your eyes regarding Denilson. I have nothing against him but he's just so supremely average at everything. He's not very good at attacking and not very good at defending either. In fact he's awful at defending. I've always thought of him as just an all round midfielder who can do a job across the park when needed, but even that he can't seem to do with any consistency.

Let's not forget that the guy is returning from a major injury. He's played what, two games since then?
Don't get me wrong I was screaming at the TV as much as the next gooner when he kept giving the ball away or heading weak clearances away from our penalty box but any player needs time to return from injury. Look at Rosicky and Eduardo.
I just feel that if he'd been given as many chances in a row to play AM as Diaby has then he'd be far better than him by now but he's not being allowed to express himself.

Maybe he would be. God knows Diaby has had all the time in the world to find his feet. Song is a fine example of an average player flourishing when he finds his niche, but I put Diaby and Denilson in the same basket; not bad squad members but just not good enough for the ARSENAL first team.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:45 am

CynicalGooner wrote:Song is a fine example of an average player flourishing when he finds his niche, but I put Diaby and Denilson in the same basket; not bad squad members but just not good enough for the ARSENAL first team.

But that's all they are anyway so where's the problem. :dontknow:
Diaby and Denilson ARE flexible squad players. They're back-up, and when they come in they do a decent job (and score goals).
With no injuries those two players would not get into our starting eleven. One day when they ARE good enough to get in then the boss will allow them in. If they never reach that point then they'll be sold.

Despite the thread title, I'm not claiming that Denilson is the messiah I'm just saying he's not as shit as people are making out.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby gooner90 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:56 am

i dont know diaby should be more a first team player and has been playing like it, just depends who he wants across the midfield as we've got about 10 half decent players who can play anywhere across the middle and wings
gooner90
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby 187Wayne » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:13 pm

The only thing denny has is a decent shot from distance. He is a homeless mans Xabi Alonso imo.
He should be on the bench and only be used against teams that are not physical, seeing him vs stoke for the 2nd goal was embarrassing ffs. I can't believe the boy grew up in Brazil he is a p***y imo.

(is inch 32inch from AM?)
187Wayne
Michael Thomas

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:20 pm

187Wayne wrote:(is inch 32inch from AM?)

No I'm not.

He's on here as well.
I am the original and genuine article.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:42 am

Inchpractice wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:Song is a fine example of an average player flourishing when he finds his niche, but I put Diaby and Denilson in the same basket; not bad squad members but just not good enough for the ARSENAL first team.

But that's all they are anyway so where's the problem. :dontknow:
Diaby and Denilson ARE flexible squad players. They're back-up, and when they come in they do a decent job (and score goals).
With no injuries those two players would not get into our starting eleven. One day when they ARE good enough to get in then the boss will allow them in. If they never reach that point then they'll be sold.

Despite the thread title, I'm not claiming that Denilson is the messiah I'm just saying he's not as shit as people are making out.

Nah... I think Wenger really does count them as first team starter (Diaby) and direct replacement (Denilson).... as horrifying as it sounds, it's pretty easy to see. When Diaby is match fit, he always plays without exception... when Denilson is fit, he usually plays. Curiously, they are never fit at the same time
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:06 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Nah... I think Wenger really does count them as first team starter (Diaby) and direct replacement (Denilson).... as horrifying as it sounds, it's pretty easy to see. When Diaby is match fit, he always plays without exception... when Denilson is fit, he usually plays. Curiously, they are never fit at the same time

I don't think that's the case, seriously this must be our starting eleven and there's no place for either of them in it:

Almunia
Back 4
Song
Rosicky Cesc Arshavin
RVP Bendtner/Eduardo

Even if you disagree and you want Arshavin up front with RVP, fine you can have him:

Almunia
Back 4
Song
Nasri/Theo Cesc Rosicky
RVP Arshavin

You can change that formation as much as you like but you can't tell me that either Diaby or Denilson are going to start ahead of Rosicky, Cesc, Arshavin, Nasri or Song.
They only ever play if one of that lot (possibly including Theo) is injured which lately is a f**k of a lot I'll admit but that doesn't make them part of the first choice starting eleven.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Well we won't know until we have everyone fit at the same time.... almost impossible as it is.

But can you honestly think of a time when Diaby has sat on the bench in a PL game when he's availiable? Rosicky has, a lot. Nasri has. Denilson has a couple times... but never Diaby.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Briggsy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Denilson is about as defensive as a Paper tent in a tropical rainstorm
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Briggsy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:47 pm

Today when I thought he couldn't get any worse! He drop to levels of shitness that no Sewage worker would of seen! Seriously how is Ramsey not ahead of him
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Previous

Return to Denilson