Current opinion on Denilson?

Current opinion on Denilson?

Postby InTheNorthBank » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:04 pm

What is everyone's current opinion of Denilson then? How do we feel his season has started?

Personally I see a lot of Gooners on here slating him and I know a lot of other Gooners personally, who also think he’s missed the boat and isn’t Arsenal standard.

Me and my old man think he’s quality though. Both rate him very highly – seemingly in contrast to the masses!

Personally, I think Denilson’s biggest problem is the fact that he’s neither an out and out holding midfielder; neither is he a full blown ACM, with the range of passing Fabregas can boast. He’s more of a classic CM, can do a bit of everything – would have been rated more highly in the days where a set DCM wasn’t seen as necessary.

But this season, I find it hard to understand why fellow Gooners aren’t praising him more. We all know the stats in regard to the number of appearances he made last year – many people would say this is why Arsenal failed miserably because he was our ever present in the middle of the park. But for me, within the new 4-3-3 formation, he’s really starting to look the business. He doesn’t have to worry about being the last line of support for the back 4 – Song takes care of that. Neither does he have to worry about providing creativity for the attacking trio – leave that to Fabregas. What he does do though is provide excellent support in both of these roles.

He has fantastic stamina and seems to run all day long, provides assistance to Song in breaking up play and hassling the opposition – something which I expect Wenger to make use of in tougher matches, particularly away from home. But at the same time, while his passing isn’t world class, he can be an effective component of an attack, occasionally pulling out some Brazilian magic as he did last night with the little back heel through ball against Celtic.

I really believe 4-3-3 could lead to the making of Denilson, for the simple reason given above that he isn’t left to be the sole defensive or creative unit in the centre of the park. There seems to be an incessant pressure a team to have a partnership of one attacking and defensive central midfielder and off course it would be nice for him to excel in one of the above aspects of the game. But an even balance of defensive skill and creativity is something which is sometimes overlooked in the modern game, a crevice Denilson seems to fall into.
"I am going to make this the greatest club in the world." - Herbert Chapman
InTheNorthBank
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Re: Current opinion on Denilson?

Postby mikey_gooner » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:08 pm

spot on mate , could be the making of him this 4-3-3 , last year he had to play and do a role that wenger wanted him to do and at times he looked short of it but he looks an improved player this season , something that can only happen after getting the games under your belt , he played nearly every game last year which has helped him .
mikey_gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby IMF » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 pm

I personally rate Denilson and think he gets slaughtered for the tinyest mistakes when other players make more mistakes than he does.

His work rate and stamina has been phenomenal this season... plus he took no sh*t from dog face brown last night.

I think he's pretty underrated for what he does for the team. If I remember correctly; his omission in a league game ended up with us losing 4-1 v chavs.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Last season at DM = Wankery

This season in the 4-3-3 = Wanking material

f***ing quality first 4 games, and some sexy Brazilian skills have been making an appearence.

Certainly rate him higher than the Predator + Whoopi Goldberg lovechild currently residing at the Mancs.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby IMF » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:14 pm

gunngunn wrote:Last season at DM = Wankery

f***ing quality first 4 games, and some sexy Brazilian skills have been making an appearence.

Certainly rate him higher than the Predator + Whoopi Goldberg lovechild currently residing at the Mancs.

I've personally thought that the Predator was an overrated chump...
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler

AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:15 pm

IMF wrote:

Apparently he is better than Fabregas :doh:
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby IMF » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:20 pm

gunngunn wrote:
IMF wrote:

Apparently he is better than Fabregas :doh:

You're mistaken. The word on the sh*t street is that "he sh*ts on Fabregas" and is "better than Kleberson".
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler

AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:21 pm

:rofll:
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby InTheNorthBank » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:18 pm

IMF wrote:I personally rate Denilson and think he gets slaughtered for the tinyest mistakes when other players make more mistakes than he does.

His work rate and stamina has been phenomenal this season... plus he took no sh*t from dog face brown last night.I think he's pretty underrated for what he does for the team. If I remember correctly; his omission in a league game ended up with us losing 4-1 v chavs.

I absolutely loved that! "Touch the boy Jack again, or call him Luke and I'll eat your f***ing nose you weird looking c***!"...I imagine is what he said.
"I am going to make this the greatest club in the world." - Herbert Chapman
InTheNorthBank
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Fabby » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Haven't seen him this season so can't comment, but I do agree I did think he will suit this formation far better than the last one, in which he seemed very shit indeed.
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:21 pm

I think he's... eh, I think he's a good squad player to have.

In my humble opinion many of you see him through rose tinted glasses. He does make a lot of mistakes, he does mess up a lot of tackles and he isn't a great passer of the ball. You can put some of it down to lack of experience and his age, but you also have to see a certain lack of talent. Saying that, his work rate is fantastic so far this season and he certainly tries his hardest, which is all any fan can ask for.

I just don't think he has a firm hold to any single position in the team. He doesn't play anywhere better than anywhere else, and there are players who would be vastly more effective in his position - when fit.

Do I think he is, or ever will be, Arsenal first 11 quality? No.

But would I want rid of him? No, I think he's a great squad player to have and he is o course still improving.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby castano » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:02 pm

well,i've always liked denilson.playing along song in the new formation has made him more of a workaholic for the team
castano
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby golfinguy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:11 pm

I still believe he's just a really good squad player. But he is still relatively young and can prove me wrong yet. Love the depth he adds to our squad, do not think he's 'arsenal quality' for the starting XI.

You're right though, he doesn't seem to have found his position. Not a DM, and seems to lack the sublime passing of an offensive mid.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gzagee » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Well I think his goal celebrations have definitely improved this season.
Even the Arab commentator likes it!

gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby liam_cork » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:35 pm

he looks miles better this year. he's gotten so much stronger
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Next