Vela set to stay put at Arsenal.

Re: Vela set to stay put at Arsenal.

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:07 pm

I agree that he has not been given enough chances. Vela needs to start at least 3 of our 6 pre-season games. Preferably as LM in a 4-4-2 formation or LW in a 4-3-3.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Leody » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:07 pm

gunRAR wrote:oh and that was a tongue in cheek comment.

And EXACTLY what Wenger was already thinking. :lol:
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby The Goats Horn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
mg86 wrote:I for one am happy about this. When Carlos is played stupidly on the wing, I think the criticism is unfair. Nevertheless, we need depth at the striker position because I think Bendy is going to leave us this window.

Good points. And I still stick by my thoughts that he hasn't been given enough chances yet. He's just as good if not better than Theo imo, and people love Theo.

That's a strong statement.
He might be a better finisher than Theo but as it stands right now he is 100 times less effective in a Premiership/CL game than Theo.
Think of all the games Theo has changed by coming on as a sub and using his pace and (recently improved) finishing.
Vela has yet to change a game by coming on as sub imo.
He's not as physically strong as Theo and that's one of his biggest weaknesses imo.

Physically strong? Theo Walcott? surely you jest :biggrin:

I can think of an awful lot more games that Theo does f**k all,Walcott is one of the most over-rated players in the Premiership.He should be tearing defenses apart with the speed he has,yet most of the time he can't even beat one player.

Give Vela a chance,he needs a run of games to prove his worth.
The Goats Horn
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Good excuse for Wenger not to sign a striker!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:40 pm

The Goats Horn wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
mg86 wrote:I for one am happy about this. When Carlos is played stupidly on the wing, I think the criticism is unfair. Nevertheless, we need depth at the striker position because I think Bendy is going to leave us this window.

Good points. And I still stick by my thoughts that he hasn't been given enough chances yet. He's just as good if not better than Theo imo, and people love Theo.

He might be a better finisher than Theo but as it stands right now he is 100 times less effective in a Premiership/CL game than Theo.
Think of all the games Theo has changed by coming on as a sub and using his pace and (recently improved) finishing.
He's not as physically strong as Theo and that's one of his biggest weaknesses imo.

Physically strong? Theo Walcott? surely you jest :biggrin:

I can think of an awful lot more games that Theo does f**k all,Walcott is one of the most over-rated players in the Premiership.He should be tearing defenses apart with the speed he has,yet most of the time he can't even beat one player.

Give Vela a chance,he needs a run of games to prove his worth.

Theo is MUCH stronger than Vela mate. Vela would blow over if someone like Samba even looked at him.

And you can say what you like about Theo, he contributed a fair bit to our season (13 goals and plenty of assists) whereas Vela contributed f**k all to our season and f**k all to West Broms.
Talent is meaningless if you can't do anything with it.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Well thats because he hasn't had the chances Theo has. And I don't think he is particularly that much of a better finisher than Theo, if at all (its probably really pretty close), but he's better on the ball, he's better at short passing, and I've seen him beat defenders, things Theo can't do well, or at all. Theo can run, and finish, and Vela can do both of those just as well. Yes, he isn't as fast as Theo, but he's pretty quick.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:48 pm

Saying Theo is stronger than Vela is sorta like saying a jelly fish is stronger than a slug.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby The Goats Horn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Inchpractice wrote:

Theo is MUCH stronger than Vela mate. Vela would blow over if someone like Samba even looked at him.

And you can say what you like about Theo, he contributed a fair bit to our season (13 goals and plenty of assists) whereas Vela contributed f**k all to our season and f**k all to West Broms.

Both are weak as s**t,but you used physical strength and Theo Walcott in the same sentence which quite frankly is nonsense.

All I'm saying is that Walcott should be miles better than he is by now,even though he is still young he hasn't made the progress expected of him (even Wenger admitted to that) Most of his goals and assists came off the back of being dropped from the World Cup squad,then he got injured and never regained that form for the second half of the season.

As for "Talent is meaningless if you can't do anything with it" that applies to Walcott more than anyone imo
The Goats Horn
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Vela is a diver (imo), thats why he goes down alot. Neither of them I would consider strong at all.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:53 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Well thats because he hasn't had the chances Theo has. And I don't think he is particularly that much of a better finisher than Theo, if at all (its probably really pretty close), but he's better on the ball, he's better at short passing, and I've seen him beat defenders, things Theo can't do well, or at all. Theo can run, and finish, and Vela can do both of those just as well. Yes, he isn't as fast as Theo, but he's pretty quick.

Yes and there's a reason he hasn't had the chances. Basically he hasn't impressed enough in training.
There are plenty of positions on the pitch where players were vulnerable to losing their spot last season due to loss of form and he couldn't outperform any of them in training.
That tells you something in itself.
It's also significant that he couldn't even nail down a starting spot at West Brom. With his ability he should've been the best player on the pitch for them. He should've been undroppable.
Admittedly that could be down to the manager but as a comparison how many starts would Theo have got playing for West Brom?

I don't agree that Theo can't beat his man either. The CL run against Liverpool is a classic example but there are many more.
These days it's been much harder for him because teams are double-marking him and if you're on the wing with two men on you the only place you can go is backwards.

I'm not saying all this because Theo is English or my favourite player. I love Vela and no-one jizzed themselves more than I did when he kept chipping those 'keepers in the Carling Cup but the sad truth is he hasn't been able to do the same thing in the Prem, and he hasn't done enough in training to be given another shot.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:56 pm

The Goats Horn wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

Both are weak as s**t,but you used physical strength and Theo Walcott in the same sentence which quite frankly is nonsense.

All I'm saying is that Walcott should be miles better than he is by now,even though he is still young he hasn't made the progress expected of him (even Wenger admitted to that) Most of his goals and assists came off the back of being dropped from the World Cup squad,then he got injured and never regained that form for the second half of the season.

As for "Talent is meaningless if you can't do anything with it" that applies to Walcott more than anyone imo

You're changing the subject.
Read the sentence again. I said 'Vela is not as strong as Theo'. I never said Theo was Schwarzenegger.
You're turning this into an attack on Theo, go to the Theo thread for that.
My point is that when Chvint said Vela is just as good as Theo I disagreed. Like it or not Theo played well last season and made a good contribution whereas Vela didn't. Fact.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Neither theo nor vela are good enough to start up front for us. Bendtner is better than both and if either is used as his replacement in the squad then it will be a step backwards IMO.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Yes and there's a reason he hasn't had the chances. Basically he hasn't impressed enough in training.
There are plenty of positions on the pitch where players were vulnerable to losing their spot last season due to loss of form and he couldn't outperform any of them in training.
That tells you something in itself.
It's also significant that he couldn't even nail down a starting spot at West Brom. With his ability he should've been the best player on the pitch for them. He should've been undroppable.
Admittedly that could be down to the manager but as a comparison how many starts would Theo have got playing for West Brom?

I don't agree that Theo can't beat his man either. The CL run against Liverpool is a classic example but there are many more.
These days it's been much harder for him because teams are double-marking him and if you're on the wing with two men on you the only place you can go is backwards.

I'm not saying all this because Theo is English or my favourite player. I love Vela and no-one jizzed themselves more than I did when he kept chipping those 'keepers in the Carling Cup but the sad truth is he hasn't been able to do the same thing in the Prem, and he hasn't done enough in training to be given another shot.

Thats all besides the point you were trying to make though. You said he's 100 times more effective in the Prem, well thats because he's had 100 more chances. And I don't remember all those times Theo beat a defender, I don't think there are that many. Bottom line, imo, Vela has more tools in his bag than Theo, and the good things that Theo can do, Vela can do them as well. Maybe Theo has a better mental side to the game which allows him to perform well in training and when given the chance? I don't know, but until I see Vela given more chances, I'm not going to discount him being a good player for us.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Reason you don't remember him beating defenders Chris, is after he managed to get by them he ran the ball over the endline, tripped over it or ran past it, or put the cross into row Z 80% of the time.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gzagee » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:06 pm

What sets Walcott apart from Vela is determination. Theo is more willing to put his body on the line than Vela.
Vela may have fancy feet and a cute chip-shot but, it means nothing if you aren't ready to fight and earn your spurs.
Vela, to my mind and those of WBA supporters, doesn't show that chutzpah. So having all that supposed 'talent' means nothing if you lack that inner strength.
Walcott is beginning to show that now. And I believe he'd do well in a two-man attack.
Vela's supporters cannot continue to blame the managers for his lack of opportunities. Somewhere down the line you have to look at yourself and ask what more you have to do to impress the bossman. That belief comes from an inner-strength. Vela may well have to but, he needs to show it.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

PreviousNext

Return to 11. Carlos Vela