scuffed goal all the less but thats 2 so far, deff a 442 player imo though,
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Vela to WBA on loan

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 pm

elkanofan wrote:at least he's scoring anyway...

True but you should see the chances he wasted at the death.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zedie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
elkanofan wrote:at least he's scoring anyway...

True but you should see the chances he wasted at the death.

Tap ins, bread and butter strikers chances or high pressure chances?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:00 am

The kind of chances you really need to be able to take if you are to make it at a top club. One on one with the keeper at close range and with some thinking time, pressure yes, but the pressure to chance quality ratio says he should have scored.

I really like Vela btw but if he is going to make it with our attack already full up then he needs to show something big.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:10 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:The kind of chances you really need to be able to take if you are to make it at a top club. One on one with the keeper at close range and with some thinking time, pressure yes, but the pressure to chance quality ratio says he should have scored.

I really like Vela btw but if he is going to make it with our attack already full up then he needs to show something big.

finishing one on one with a keeper seems to be a huge weakness of his
I remember that Carling Cup game a couple of seasons ago where Burnley beat us, Vela missed 3 or 4 one on ones
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Could just be a question of confidence. More game time (with more goals, 2 in his last 27 minutes!!!) and he'll be putting away more chances.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby StLGooner » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Est83 wrote:Could just be a question of confidence. More game time (with more goals, 2 in his last 27 minutes!!!) and he'll be putting away more chances.

It always is, as I've said before, confidence and belief in your abilities is what separates the average and elite players.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Thu May 19, 2011 12:33 pm

When West Brom are saying you're not likely to get a start DESPITE competing against the likes of Fortune, Cox, Miller and Bednar things don't look so good for you....

Sell! Sell! Sell!

Loan ace warned as Albion eye Shechter

West Bromwich Albion, 11:58, May 19, 2011

Carlos Vela has been told he would not be guaranteed first-team football at West Brom, while Israeli ace Itay Shechter has been linked.

The Baggies swooped to sign Mexico international forward Vela on loan from Premier League rivals Arsenal in the January transfer window. However, while the promising young player has scored several crucial goals for West Brom, he has only made three starts at the Hawthorns.
Boss Roy Hodgson is keen to add another striker to his ranks this summer to provide competition for the likes of Peter Odemwingie and Simon Cox so could be tempted to try and sign Vela on a permanent basis.
However, while they are unsure if the player would want to sign or if the Gunners would be willing to sell him, first-team coach Michael Appleton warned Vela that he would not walk straight into the first team if he did sign.
He said: "Maybe he'll just want to go somewhere he knows he is going to play every week. I don't think we are in a position where we can promise that.
"We've got a really competitive squad and want to make it even more competitive."
Meanwhile, Albion have been linked with 24-year-old Hapoel Tel Aviv's international striker, Shechter, with some reports suggesting he could be offered a trial spell at the Hawthorns over the summer.

http://www.clubcall.com/west-bromwich-a ... 15251.html
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 19, 2011 12:35 pm

If we lose Nick or Cham, why not give Vela a few shots to prove himself again early next season? We know he can finish when he's played in the right position.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Thu May 19, 2011 12:40 pm

I have to disagree Chvster. I think we need to get rid of some dross. He's one of them in my opinion.
We've got players who are miles better than him in attack and he's never shown anything on the wing. We've got players champing at the bit to show they can take over from Shava on the left: Botelho (apparently) and hopefully Ryodinho.

I don't see where we can fit Vela in?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 19, 2011 12:43 pm

gzagee wrote:I have to disagree Chvster. I think we need to get rid of some dross. He's one of them in my opinion.
We've got players who are miles better than him in attack and he's never shown anything on the wing. We've got players champing at the bit to show they can take over from Shava on the left: Botelho (apparently) and hopefully Ryodinho.

I don't see where we can fit Vela in?

Maybe up front, in a two striker formation. You were just talking about putting Theo up front, and Vela is also fast like Theo, and can finish just as good, and a bit better control on the ball, why not give him a good chance as well? He's had chances yes, and failed at some those, but never has had a good run of games to prove himself. Its worth a shot while we still have him. :dontknow:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GunnGunn » Thu May 19, 2011 12:44 pm

We can't unless we switch formation to a 4-4-2, thats not going to happen so its probably best if him, Bendtner and Chamakh all leave.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 19, 2011 12:46 pm

GunnGunn wrote:We can't unless we switch formation to a 4-4-2, thats not going to happen so its probably best if him, Bendtner and Chamakh all leave.

We don't know that Wenger won't change formations, it was only a couple seasons ago that we played 4-4-2.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Thu May 19, 2011 2:24 pm

yeah, if Cesc leaves I see us going back to 4-4-2
the 4-2-3-1 was really only brought in to get the best out of Cesc
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue May 24, 2011 9:39 am

http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-ne ... -west-brom

Loan Review: Carlos Vela - West Brom

Carlos joined West Brom in January to continue his development and gain valuable further first-team experience in the Premier League.

He scored two vital equalisers to help steer Roy Hodgson’s side to safety, netting a last-gasp leveller against local rivals Wolves and then snatching a late point in an away trip to Stoke the following week.

However, the Mexican struggled to hold down a regular starting place as the Baggies climbed to the safety of mid-table, making just three starts and five substitute appearances.

Steve Madeley of the Express and Star

“I think it has probably been frustrating for him and he probably hasn’t made the overall impact that both clubs would have wanted him to make. He didn’t make enough of an impact in the time he was given. He didn’t play badly but he didn’t play well enough to really nail down a place.

“Having said that, he scored two goals that arguably kick-started a renaissance under Roy Hodgson. The equaliser against Wolves was in Hodgson’s first game in charge of the team and his goal prevented the reign kicking off with a defeat. In the very next game, he scored against Stoke. Those two points were the foundation on which West Brom went on to escape relegation.

“Any player who scores such an important goal against Wolves will always be liked by West Brom fans. It is a big thing up here, scoring against Wolves.

“I’m sure both he and Arsenal would have wanted him to start more games. While he is obviously a talented player, he wasn’t really what West Brom needed at the time. They needed an out-and-out centre forward to compliment Peter Odemwinge and Vela isn’t that player.”
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to 11. Carlos Vela