Vela - Sorry folks I don't think he'll make it

Postby gzagee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:49 pm

He should be giving Wenger selection headaches by now. But he isn't so we stick with the hit n miss Shava until Walcott or someone else proves they are ready to roll.

I'm not saying Carlos is sh*t, but let's be honest: what the feck has he done to this point?
Yes Statto, he scored a hattrick a decade ago when things were hanging in the balance vs Sheff utd...
Indeed Statto, how could i forget his goal against burnley, also in the Carling cup...
And pardon me Statto, if i don't get all emotional about his contribution to Dudu's goal vs Cardiff in the FA Cup...

But the fact remains whenever he's had the chance to make an impact when it counts he's been found wanting.
And can anyone tell me what he did in the WC? Did he even play? Cos after he stuffed his lines in that warm-up game against England I didn't hear from him again. Maybe he was injured? :dontknow:

Don't care that he's 21. He came with the hyperbole that suggested by now he should be giving Shava serious worries about his position in the team.
Comes a time when you have to accept not everyone will make it here. And I don't think he will. If anyone should've gone on loan to an English Prem/Champ club then it is him. He's weak, fragile and toothless.
If that ain't gonna happen then there should be only one thing left for him...

Get rid of.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Vela - Sorry folks I don't think he'll make it

Postby liam_cork » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:50 pm

since when did you become captain bring down? ;)
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:56 pm

I remember watching the world youth cup thing when setanta started, he looked weedy and was easily pushed off the ball even though he was against other youngsters. I thought at the time he'd struggle in the Premiership. He's a good squad player but I don't think he'll ever be a first team regular.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm one of those cantankerous old backbenchers you see in Parliament. An Alf Garnett with a bee in his bonnet.

And Vela right now is that bee. Stingless as he is...
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Rockin' Robin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 pm

You say he's not done much in bigger games than the CC - when has he had the chance to do so? He started against Blackburn last year, missed a good chance and didn't play very well, I'll give you that, and there have been times when he's come off the bench in the league and not look good.

However, look at Fabianski - on the rare occasions that he played, usually only one game at a time, he was pretty poor. But now he's had a run of games he's looking more and more solid. I think it would be the same with Vela; once he gets games, confidence, sharpness etc, he could be pretty good for us.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Rockin' Robin wrote:You say he's not done much in bigger games than the CC - when has he had the chance to do so? He started against Blackburn last year, missed a good chance and didn't play very well, I'll give you that, and there have been times when he's come off the bench in the league and not look good.

However, look at Fabianski - on the rare occasions that he played, usually only one game at a time, he was pretty poor. But now he's had a run of games he's looking more and more solid. I think it would be the same with Vela; once he gets games, confidence, sharpness etc, he could be pretty good for us.

Very good point, same with Bendtner, Walcott, and others. Just look at how Wilshere has come on this season when given a run of games!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:02 pm

Came off the bench to score 2 against Braga...

Scored a great goal against Bolton, provided the peach of a cross to Bendtner against Wigan...

All things he did this season.

You say what the feck has he done, i say has he even been given a chance to show what he can do?

No.

I think you need to watch a bit more of him, because weak, toothless and fragile are not the first 3 words i would use to describe him.

And he was excellent for Mexico in the run up to the World Cup, it was his goals that made them qualify and he was solid in their opening games until he was taken out.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:03 pm

He deserves more chances imo.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:08 pm

When you're given your opportunity you have to take it. Leave something in the mind of the manager to make him think 'hmmm so-and-so hasn't been doing it recently, let me put the young buck in'
But i haven't seen him do that. The odd to another player isn't good enough when you yourself are missing both gilt-edged and half chances alike.
I wouldn't put him in from the start. I'd rather have Theo or even Bendy starting wide rather than him.

And if he was that great during the WC qualifying campaign you'd've thought he'd be a shoe-in for Mexico's starting 11. But nope, from what I saw Chacarito and dos Santos played more and deserved to play more this summer.

I spose the Mexico manager didn't know what he was doing, eh.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:11 pm

He got injured Gza...He plays in a front 3 for Mexico and is very much the first name on the team sheet.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

It would be a crying shame if someone with Vela's ability to score a goal doesn't make it with us!

It's right he's not consistent enough for us, but the argument is when has he had a consistent run of games? Hardly ever!

I think it would have do him some good to go out on loan. My only worry is he won't come back! Once he gets a taste of regular starting action, a player like Vela will want to keep it, no matter who he plays for!

It would be nice if he could team up with former youth gunner Quincy at Malaga. Those two on both flanks would do Malaga some good! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:15 pm

He would probably be a star in Spain. Can't see it happening here.

He doesn't have 'it', for mine.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Rockin' Robin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:
Rockin' Robin wrote:You say he's not done much in bigger games than the CC - when has he had the chance to do so? He started against Blackburn last year, missed a good chance and didn't play very well, I'll give you that, and there have been times when he's come off the bench in the league and not look good.

Very good point, same with Bendtner, Walcott, and others. Just look at how Wilshere has come on this season when given a run of games!

Probably better examples than mine actually :lol: It's difficult to expect great things of a player who barely plays when thrust into the team, and to be fair to Vela, as GG said, he scored twice against Braga, once against Bolton, and there was that mazy run against Blackpool :cloud9: And at the Braga away game I thought he gave us something nobody else offered, he was really lively and unlucky not to win a peno after good work.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:25 pm

GunnGunn wrote:He got injured Gza...He plays in a front 3 for Mexico and is very much the first name on the team sheet.

Betchya Chacarito is first on the sheet.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:28 pm

And taking the lead from Statto stating he scored twice against Braga, a team very much caught in the headlights that night does not raise his stock for me. In fact he'd scored his 2 goals when the game was already put to bed.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Next

Return to 11. Carlos Vela