Can Vela stake a claim?

Can Vela stake a claim?

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:04 am

There has been alot of talk over the summer of how big a season this is for Walcott but this is also a big season for Vela and his future prospects.

He is skillful but he is also 21 and is getting to the age where he really needs to show his stuff.

I think it is fair to say he is 4th choice behind RVP, Chamakh and Bendtner who proved himself last season imo. He is young but I am sure he doesnt want another striker being bought to make him 5th choice, I am sure he really wants to impress.

Vela will start in the CC and make appearances off the bench in other games but will he be able to get himself really noticed? He has a great reputation, highly rated since he was young and has shown flashes of brilliance. His little Le Tissier cameo on saturday (despite the poor finish) showed that his mind has a good abstract quality and we have seen some good finishes, especially lobs, from him.

Can he get the attention of the whole Premier League? Can he play to standard where it comes to the end of the season and Wenger says "You know what, I don't need another striker as all mine are 1st team capable?"
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Can Vela stake a claim?

Postby StLGooner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:09 am

I don't think he'll get the playing time he wants this season and he'll probably be off the next, if not in Jan.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:10 am

I think he needs to join Theo in the gym and beef up a bit. He likes the floor as much as a South American, goes to ground far too easily.

And then of course he just needs that motivation to take a place in the team. I think there's a big future there if he wants to take it, I've never questioned his ability.

Confidence was also a big issue last year, a good Carling Cup run could sort that out.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby StLGooner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 am

I'm still not sure what position he's best at either, we all know he can finish, but like you say he needs to beef up if he's going to be a striker in the Prem.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:15 am

I feel the same est, the talent is definately there but I really don't know what to expect from him. If he doesn't man up to the task then I think Chvint may be right and his place at the club may be in jeopardy, assuming that is that he minds being 4th choice all the time.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:17 am

I think he can follow Theo's example. They can both interchange, and in RVP and Chamakh we have strikers who are capable and happy to go out wide form time to time.

But yea, my biggest issue is his lack of physical presence. Theo's come a long way since finally sorting out his genetically weak shoulders. He couldn't even push off a player without them popping out, now he has hench shoulders and a good low center of gravity... he's also blatantly up for a scrap nower days. Vela is a flair player, but he needs to be up for the scrap aswell, like Theo/Cesc/Nasri/Rosicky... it's possible.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Gould » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:25 am

i would like to see him go on loan in jan if we are ok for players aka not many injurys, hes a decent player with a big talent but has to use it. his pace is exceptional heard from somewhere hes 2nd only to walcott in the squad. i really like him. allways have but i agree when you say this is an important year for him. but wenger understands that hes a good backup and gives us something. willing to sit on the bench and not winge and bugger off i say in jan cus we may be out the cc then
Gould
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:25 am

I think he will be good this season.

He is showing a lot of moves that he hasn't previously and get tracks back and defends well.

He looks weak but he isn't, he has proven many times he can hold off much bigger players.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:32 am

Jay22 wrote:I just hope he doesn't get impatient with the lack of 1st team chances and leaves.

He was supposedly thinking about leaving this past off season, and I'm not sure who's place he's going to take in the starting XI, which is why I think he'll be off, dare I say to play with his friend Dos Santos at the yiddos. :hiding:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:36 am

GunnGunn wrote:I think he will be good this season.

He is showing a lot of moves that he hasn't previously and get tracks back and defends well.

He looks weak but he isn't, he has proven many times he can hold off much bigger players.

I've seen this as well. That's why it really bothers me when he does go down easily. You don't know which Vela you're gonna get.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:37 am

I really don't know what went on last season but what with all the travelling and little injuries and whatever else, we barely saw him... even on the bench.

He's got quality tekkers, an eye for goal and is a good team player. Where does he fit in? Dunno. This is deffo a make or break season for him though, he either needs to establish himself as a viable squad member pushing Wenger every week or take his leave next summer.

I wish we got Hernandez instead really, he's better than Vela and is a proper striker
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:39 am

I think the stories of him being impatient were exaggerated.

He has been frustrated with injuries but looks happy to be here.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby mel4 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:54 am

I think his best bet is to give Arshavin a run. If he shows he can confidently deputise for Arshavin in premiership games, then he can be considered as a 5th striker. Right now, if Theo continues in his form, I see him (Theo) been considered as 4th striker

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Gunner Down Under » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:53 am

I reckon he deserves a run sooner rather than later, but with the inclusion of Chamakh this will be difficult for him. I wouldn't like to loan him out in case there are injuries (AGAIN!) but I don't find any motivation for him to stay, I mean if I was him I would want to be loaned
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby J-Mack » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Loved his run on sat. Could of been a wonder goal.

J-Mack
Charlie George
Charlie George

Next

Return to 11. Carlos Vela