What do you think of Vela's season?

What do you think of Vela's season?

Postby Fordy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:19 pm

How do you think it has gone

Got to say im disappointed with him its not his fault i think i just thought he was going to make a big impact and i really thought he would play more

When he has played its been a bit hit and miss for me at times brilliant and at times average you can see he is quality i just worry about him getting the games he needs

so i would imagine the coming season will be much like this one which is a shame because i feel he needs a good run of games
Fordy

Re: what do you think of velas season

Postby whee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:21 pm

Not disappointed with him at all.

He's done well in dribs and drabs, but hasn't been given THAT many opportunities to strut his stuff.

Scored a few memorable goals, and there's clearly a talented young player in those boots.

I think he'll get more game time next season.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:22 pm

He definately needs a good run of games, and more experience in the prem. His pace and finishing is way above average imo, so he just needs to get those games and work on the physical part of the game in the Prem. Also, I really wish he'd cut out his diving.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What do you think of Vela's season?

Postby whee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Only disagree on a couple of those ChV.

I don't believe he's blessed with great pace, but his trickery and speed of feet can get him the extra half yeard he needs to put the ball in the net. Much like Bergkamp used to.

Can't recall him diving either? I know he goes down easily, like Reyes used to, but I reckon there's a difference between going down easily and diving.

Agree with you that the physical part of his game will improve after an extended run of games.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Not so much disappointed with him but more with his impact.
I thought he would cause a storm in the Prem and maybe even knock Bendtner out of his fourth choice position.
I think that despite the YouTube videos he isn't as strong as we thought physically so he needs to beef up before he's ready for the Prem.

VERY exciting young player though and the CC games show what he's capable of. Let's hope he gets more playing time this coming season.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fordy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:27 pm

i didn't mean i was disappointed with him just that for some reason i thought he was going to come in and blow the prem away i should have known better really with how long wenger spends braking players in
Fordy

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:28 pm

ChVint22 wrote:He definately needs a good run of games, and more experience in the prem. His pace and finishing is way above average imo, so he just needs to get those games and work on the physical part of the game in the Prem. Also, I really wish he'd cut out his diving.

I don't think he dives at all, he's just getting knocked off the ball far too easily, with the slightest of shoulder barges, and that's because he's not strong enough yet as I said above.
Some time in the gymn will put that right.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Igmalian » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm not disappointed with Vela but more with the club, the problem is that he's not playing for the first team, but he's also not playing reserve games either so when he is called upon to play he's not match fit, I really think a season on loan at West Ham would do him the world of good, it worked for Barazite at Derby!
To Alcohol!! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems!!
Igmalian
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:He definately needs a good run of games, and more experience in the prem. His pace and finishing is way above average imo, so he just needs to get those games and work on the physical part of the game in the Prem. Also, I really wish he'd cut out his diving.

I don't think he dives at all, he's just getting knocked off the ball far too easily, with the slightest of shoulder barges, and that's because he's not strong enough yet as I said above.
Some time in the gymn will put that right.

Well then you need to pay closer attention then my friend, I watch him play for Mexico and he's a class A diver. I don't like saying Arsenal players are divers, so if I wasn't confident that he was then I wouldn't say it. Trust me!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Fair enough, I've never seen him play for Mexico but I've watched every game he's played for Arsenal and I've never seen him dive.
I've seen him get knocked over 100 times and he goes down easy but that's because he's not strong enough as I say.

Not saying he's never dived whilst playing for us but if he has then I missed it.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Fair enough, I've never seen him play for Mexico but I've watched every game he's played for Arsenal and I've never seen him dive.
I've seen him get knocked over 100 times and he goes down easy but that's because he's not strong enough as I say.

Not saying he's never dived whilst playing for us but if he has then I missed it.

He isn't the worst of course, its just that I expect more from our players ya know. I think its safe to say that many players "go down easy", and whether we want to consider that as diving or not is contraversial I guess. To me it just seems he goes down a little too easy. But I'm sure we both won't mind if he's banging in goals. :)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabby » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:14 pm

Inch nailed it, AW was going on like Vela will have as much impact as Fabby did and after he raped Sheff Utd it never really happened.

Once Ade fucks off he should get a shot
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby arseman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:31 pm

I think Arsene was wary of exposing him too much to the Premiership in only his first season, I feel we'll see more of him next season...
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:10 pm

Second season coming up. Want to see more from him. Very effective in the LC against weak opposition. Needs to kick on and give us selection headaches next term.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:18 am

SSN are reporting Carlos Vela's foot ijury picked up on Int'l duty with Mexico is not as serious as feared. He picked up the injury playing against Nicaragua, but could be included for Thursday's game against Panama in Houston.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Next

Return to 11. Carlos Vela