Robin van Persie admits he can't blame fans for booing

Robin van Persie admits he can't blame fans for booing

Postby Popey » Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 am

Robin van Persie admits he can't blame Arsenal fans for barrage of boos

Robin van Persie is adamant Arsenal are doing everything they can to arrest their worrying loss of form having faced a barrage of 'understandable' boos during their final home game of the season.

The Gunners have endured a wretched end to the campaign, winning just three times since their Carling Cup dreams were shattered by Birmingham in late February, and have gone from title contenders to the Champions League qualifying places.

Manchester City leap-frogged them into third this week after the Gunners bade a sorry farewell to their own fans with a 2-1 defeat by Aston Villa.

The performance as much as the result attracted fierce criticism from large sections of the crowd who had prior to the game marched in protest at the rising cost of supporting their club.

Van Persie admits that he can understand their frustration at seeing a season that had promised so much once again end empty handed.

'In a way, I do understand them because I feel connected with the fans,' the Dutchman said. 'We have a really good relationship and I do understand them, I do understand their frustrations sometimes. What can I say else about it? I know that we are giving everything. I am working with the players and I know this.

'Of course I feel their frustrations when we lose. Against Villa, for example, we lost and yes, of course, I feel the same as the fans. I don't want to lose, I don't like to lose, especially in games like that when we had chances.'

While Arsenal's overall stock has plummeted, Van Persie is himself in the finest scoring form of his career. The 27-year-old has scored 22 goals in all competitions for club and country since the turn of the year and has find the net in just two of his last nine Arsenal appearances.

His run has come despite operating in an unfavoured lone striker role, something he says he has learned to do successfully.

'I don't feel lonely up front, honestly,' Van Persie said,' because I have Cesc [Fabregas] around me, I have [Jack] Wilshere around me, I have Samir Nasri around me, [Andrey] Arshavin, [Theo] Walcott. If you look at those guys around me, it is just one bunch of quality.

'If you look at certain teams in Europe, I think AS Roma is playing similar with [Francesco] Totti in that role; Barcelona, obviously, with [Lionel] Messi; us, the Netherlands, during the World Cup, I was playing in a similar role; Ajax, in the last couple of months, they made a change there with Siem de Jong, he played there and in the end, they became champions so you can't really go against that.'

Despite the formation clearly still needing modifications, Van Persie is confident Arsenal can make it work next year as they have another crack at the title.

'We came close, very very close [to winning the title this season]. If you look at our games against big teams, I think we are first in that small league. We gained so many points against them.

'But one thing is for sure. We need to be more consistent because we have everything in our team. To play at the highest level is to be consistent. You look at Barcelona and they are literally playing four or five top games after each other and then they have one a bit less maybe, but they still win it.

'That's what our aim should be as well. Although you can't really compare their league and our league because it is a different way of playing football. But we do aim for the same.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1MmY0K6LX

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Robin van Persie admits he can't blame fans for booing

Postby UFGN » Thu May 19, 2011 7:59 am

Ive got a lot of respect for Robin but seriously, we did not come "very very close" to winning the title. The season ends in May, not early April
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: Robin van Persie admits he can't blame fans for booing

Postby Popey » Thu May 19, 2011 10:15 am

it just sounds like the league is over since 2 or 3 games...we didn't take the "smaller" teams serious this season. we really need to change this for next season.

but rvp is really arsenal. the guy is pride to play for arsenal and loves the club. would be nice to have more players thinking and acting like that...

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Re: Robin van Persie admits he can't blame fans for booi

Postby Leody » Thu May 19, 2011 12:24 pm

UFGN wrote:Ive got a lot of respect for Robin but seriously, we did not come "very very close" to winning the title. The season ends in May, not early April

We've been out of it sine early March. :hiding:
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie