Not good enough

Not good enough

Postby Popey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Not good enough

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has admitted their quest for silverware has floundered as they are 'not good enough'.

Arsene Wenger's men were in contention for four trophies in February but have crashed out of three competitions in the past few weeks.

Their shock Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham was followed swiftly by a UEFA Champions League at the hands of Barcelona and an FA Cup quarter-final defeat against Manchester United.

The Gunners remain in contention for the Premier League title but are five points adrift of United with a game in hand and Van Persie accepts they have to learn the lessons of their previous disappointments to end the club's six-year trophy drought.

"We always do our best at Arsenal and always want to win," the Holland international said.
Reality

"On a number of occasions we have been very close but, at the last moment, it's often not good enough. That's the reality.

"It's very frustrating when you lose, especially as a team when we're so close. But we have to look forward and now it's up to us to change all that.

"I firmly believe in the team, Arsenal and myself and I'm positive we will win prizes."

Van Persie has rejected suggestions that he could consider moving away from Emirates Stadium in a bid to secure more honours.

He added: "Absolutely not. I'm happy here, I have a contract with Arsenal and I fully respect that."

Van Persie, who saw red at Camp Nou as Arsenal's European dream was ended by Barcelona, hit out at the Spanish side for the way they complained to the referee throughout the match.

And he accused Premier League rivals Chelsea of adopting similar tactics.

He said: "The Barca players were always complaining and moaning and that's something I dislike about them.

"In England, Chelsea players do the same. Barca are a great team but they don't have to exaggerate their continuous moaning, otherwise it becomes very irritating on the pitch."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 50,00.html

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Not good enough

Postby StLGooner » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:58 pm

And here Wenger had us all thinking it was just the officiating and pitch's fault.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby shamrock11 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Fair play to RVP coming out and saying this might give some of the players the kick up the arse they need
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:31 pm

So true RVP, it is a shame you cannot play more games for us as you have the edge we need.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Not good enough

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:34 pm

He signed his contract because he'd been promised that the club would match his ambition. Despite promising otherwise I can't see him staying more than a year or two without silverware.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:39 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:He signed his contract because he'd been promised that the club would match his ambition. Despite promising otherwise I can't see him staying more than a year or two without silverware.

I disagree. There are always players who you could invisage moving on and just seeing us as a 'stepping stone' in our current state, but RvP has always shown complete confidence in Arsenal's philosophy under Wenger.

Selling Fabregas without replacing him could make anyone question their future at the club though. And if we're resigned to losing Cesc, I think it'll be another two years before someone within the club is ready to fill the role.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby GunnGunn » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:56 pm

RvP has Arsenal DNA so i wouldn't worry about him leaving.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goose » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Its different with RvP though, Arsenal are his dream club, Bergkamp is his hero and he has been rewarded with his No.10 this season, it means a lot to him....

Bit like Cesc wearing Pep Guardiola's No.4.......
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby VCC » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:So true RVP, it is a shame you cannot play more games for us as you have the edge we need.

I have always wondered that RVP injury concerns are not directly related to the fact we play a lone striker,why i say this is he seems to get kicked about surly another striker would take some of the heat of RVP and mean less contact being the only player holding up or laying off balls up front. :dontknow:
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:39 pm

We've only played the 4-3-3 for two seasons now, he's had injuries for a lot longer than that. The broken foot and twisted knee was long before we changed formation. Infact I think he's jsut had the one ankle ligament damage curtesy of Chiellini since our change in formation.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby VCC » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Est83 wrote:We've only played the 4-3-3 for two seasons now, he's had injuries for a lot longer than that. The broken foot and twisted knee was long before we changed formation. Infact I think he's jsut had the one ankle ligament damage curtesy of Chiellini since our change in formation.

Foot injuries are alot more common with the lite boots of today.I agree that he has always been injury prone but surly having two to receive the ball would take alot of the back to goal situations that defenders love to put a sly foot into strikers away. :dontknow:
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Makes perfect sense to me. That's actually one of the resons why I was sceptical of RvP as the lone striker, that plus he's usually the deeper of two strikers and has never really been much of a target man. Complete surprise how well he's taken to the role.

He's any strikers dream partner if you ask me. He's shown he can do the lone striker job but he's so much more than that. A little runner like Theo or a bigger man like Bendtner would relish playing in a two-striker formation with RvP on the edge of the box.

RvP + Cesc = chances galore!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Van The Man Persie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Keep this guy fit and we'll come close to the title.

Unfortunately the chances of keeping him fit are the same as Tottenham winning the CL and league this season
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Est83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Van The Man Persie wrote:Keep this guy fit and we'll WIN the title.

Corrected for you ;)

We missed him for about 1/3 of the season and are 'close' and still able to win it... fit for the whole season and it'll be raining silverware at the Emirates!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Not good enough

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:18 pm

It is the defensive side of our game that will cost us the title, not injuries to RVP!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie