Still our best striker

Re: Still our best striker

Postby Trina » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Agree with everything gunngunn said, just couldnt be arsed typing the other side to it all earlier lol.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mg86 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Gould wrote:The people in the sell rvp thread must feel silly so what he gets injured he Is world class

I feel no different because its what I've known to be the sad case with him. If he gets injured soon again we all will be on the other side wanting someone in or him out. The one thing you have to remember is that RvP is definite class, I've never disputed that, its what we get out of him in terms of games played that is the issue. We needed a better striker than Chamakh in, but now since he is here, we won't get another. I'm not really in favor of RvP gone anymore, but I'm upset that Chamakh came in. I'm not mad or upset at RvP. I still rock my RvP jersey most every game I watch. We just need him more each year.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby starmandb » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:32 pm

the squad is god,injurys are part and parcel of the game.
i would,nt want him out if he picked up another 1
he is class
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby mel4 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:49 am

starmandb wrote:the squad is god,injurys are part and parcel of the game.
i would,nt want him out if he picked up another 1
he is class

This! Even if he picked more than one.

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ProudGooner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:57 am

gzagee wrote:Form is temporary, injury a nuisance but class is undoubtedly permanent!
He is still our best striker and should not be sold.
He's had his longest run in the team for some time, and I'm glad he's found his form HERE, not at some other club.

Long may it continue.

Robin Van Persie! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:arsenal3:

Excuse me, did you only realise today he was our best striker?

Whether he should be sold or not had nothing to do with his ability. No one ever said sell RVP because he is shit.

That was down to his injury problems. You coule have the best striker in the world but he will be of no use if he isnt on the pitch often enough. RVP needs to stay fit now.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby singaporegooner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 am

Back in the days, Marco Van Basten (another Dutch striker) was one of THE BEST strikers in his time.
Yet knee injuries screwed his career.
Good/Excellent/Top players don't become crap because of injuries, but injuries limit their contribution to the team.
And having the best player on Earth who is injured is as good as having a white elephant sitting at home.
I truly hope RvP's gotten over his injuries and i'll say he'll have a chance of matching DB10's contribution to the Arsenal.
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gzagee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:19 am

Jay22 wrote:Actually, it's 6 in his last 3, lol.

2 against West Ham, 1 against Leeds and 3 today. :D

Yep, i stand corrected. :redface: :)
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:32 am

I understand everything you say Gunn, and you make fair points. However the fact remains had he not been available I'm not sure we'd've had such a successful January as we've had to date, Ipswich defeat notwithstanding.

Pick Bendy, Chamakh, Walcott, Vela or whoever i doubt they have the class to give us that cutting edge. If we have someone who is capable of providing us with that thrust at the sharp end i'd be more inclined to let him go earlier than now. But we haven't had anyone even close to that since Ade left.
We can maybe point the finger in AW's direction for not bringing in an established forward. Or we can point the finger at those who've been regularly given the opportunity to stake a claim.
None to date have grasped that opportunity. So I back Wenger in persevering with RvP.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:42 am

I wasn't suggesting we perservere with any of them over RvP mate, in an ideal world though we would have a striker capable of scoring 30 in a season, or at least playing a season.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:06 am

GunnGunn wrote:I wasn't suggesting we perservere with any of them over RvP mate, in an ideal world though we would have a striker capable of scoring 30 in a season, or at least playing a season.

I get what your saying mate. No one will ever be able to doubt VPs pedigree (except maybe JBandT!) but what good is a talismanic potential 30 goal a season player if hes perma crocked?

I would keep him at the club regardless, but instead of a Bendtner/Chamakh, we could have gone out and got a proper top class forward on or v near VPs level.

We've had far too many seasons playing second/third choice strikers as our first choice because our main guy has been on the treatment table for so long. Do you think Chelsea would have had the past successes they have had if Drogba had been out as long as Persie?

A massive NO!

Lets all pray to the footballing gods that he can make till the end of the season before he breaks down.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby ProudGooner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:19 am

I dont think we will have a 30 goal a season striker as long as Wenger is around.

Our system is such that the goals are shared and come from everywhere and any where. Its more of a team effort rather than relying on one person to score the bulk of the goals. I think this is deliberate from Wenger. This is part of his philosophy and I agree with it.

We dont rely on any one player. Our team is built up of parts, each part has a defined role this makes it easy to find a replacement for any part. Because we dont rely on any one player in particular it makes us more effiecient. Imagine if we relied on a striker to score the bulk of our goals, if he is out of form the whole team might start to struggle. Whereas if you have 4-5+ sources of goals then 4-5+ players will need to be out of form for us to be in the same situation which is very very unlikely.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:37 am

He's shit, sell him.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Zedie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 am

Just wrote a fat post and it disappeared.

f**k my life. :BangHead:
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:44 am

Hate when that happens Zedie.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Zedie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:49 am

Long story short, if RVP was fit from the start of the season, he'd be well up there for the golden boot. Our 2nd/3rd choice strikers are just not good enough to fill in when he's not around (which is all the time).

ATM, if we stay injury free, Barca need to be ready for domination.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie