Wenger wants RvP match fit

Postby gzagee » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 pm

A touch dramatic but maybe Wenger ain't too pleased with RvP's contribution of late.

Axed Van Persie ordered to shape up

Arsene Wenger has axed Robin van Persie after Arsenal's derby humiliation - and put him under strict orders to improve his match fitness.

Wenger has left Andriy Arshavin, Gael Clichy and van Persie behind in London for tonight's crucial Champions League clash.

Gunners captain Cesc Fabregas is also likely to be on the bench in Braga amid concerns about his long-running hamstring problem.

But Wenger is frustrated that Van Persie has yet to get back to his best despite returning from an ankle injury three weeks ago.

Wenger said: "Van Persie is not 100 per cent fit at the moment, not in a condition physically to fight in the top level games.

"So I take advantage of that to make him work very hard."

Van Persie was a substitute against Tottenham on Saturday and also played for Holland last week but Wenger is clearly annoyed that he is not getting the best out of his Dutch striker.

That will be a disappointment to Van Persie who believes he is further down the road in regaining match fitness but Wenger has got tough in the wake of Arsenal's defeat to bitter rivals Tottenham on Saturday.

There is also a major concern about Fabregas's hamstring problem which will not go away and the Spanish midfielder is unlikely to start to avoid it flaring up again in Braga.

Wenger said: "I don't know whether Cesc will be on the bench. I will have a medical meeting on Tuesday morning and I will speak with the player as well.

"It is getting better. He was out for a while and had a occurrence of his hamstring problem, then it gets in your head. When it gets in your head, it is difficult to play free of your mind.

"I feel it is getting better in every match, from game to game he becomes stronger. On Saturday, he had some chances himself, and has created three great goal chances, so we are getting back to the normal Cesc."

Wenger is also likely to recall Nicklas Bendtner after he was frozen out of Arsenal's last two games for speaking out publicly on his frustrations at lack of first team chances.

Wenger, who is set to leave Marouane Chamakh on the bench, said: "Nicklas is sometimes a bit outspoken but he is a guy who is honest and genuine. Chamkah has played a lot."

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ro ... 34543.html
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Wenger wants RvP match fit

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:14 pm

Right and he is supposed to get match fit...how?

By not playing matches? Great logic there.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ivan itchybum » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:24 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Right and he is supposed to get match fit...how?

exactly, im really starting to dislike wenger :hiding:
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby liam_cork » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:32 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Right and he is supposed to get match fit...how?

but didn't you say he should have to do 6 months rehab before he sets foot on a pitch. i dont think this is so bad we know what he's like he'll come back for a game or two and it'l be another 4 months or whatever out, im all for a very slow return for perse
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:36 pm

I just want him to come back and get injured again, then maybe AW will see he is too much of a liability to be considered our star striker and he might buy someone more reliable.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby mg86 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:45 pm

GunnGunn wrote:I just want him to come back and get injured again, then maybe AW will see he is too much of a liability to be considered our star striker and he might buy someone more reliable.

The reason you buy Chamakh is for situations like this, when your starter is out and you need quality to replace. We didn't have that last year. We are 2 points off top of the league and Van Persie is coming back to finish the season off. We are totally in a different circumstance than last year. The problem remains the defense but that could change when we stop having to rely on Djourou and Koschienly when Vermaelen returns.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby liam_cork » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:48 pm

i have a feeling he must be on his last chance i hate to speculate what someone else is thinking but AW aint as stupid as some make out. one more injury and he'll be sold the second he's fit again imo
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:58 pm

i read somebody prior to saturday saying[lets play glassman against a physical side like stoke]
yes lets... 3 goals in 191mins against them
the winner in the fa cup[h] 04/05
2 against them [h]08/09[both very good games]
the only blot on his copybook is an 11 minute sub appearance at stoke in 08/09 where he was sent off for a petulant barge and kick at the keeper sorenson on a day where only cesc had a good game
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby mg86 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:12 pm

mg86 wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:I just want him to come back and get injured again, then maybe AW will see he is too much of a liability to be considered our star striker and he might buy someone more reliable.

The reason you buy Chamakh is for situations like this, when your starter is out and you need quality to replace. We didn't have that last year. We are 2 points off top of the league and Van Persie is coming back to finish the season off. We are totally in a different circumstance than last year. The problem remains the defense but that could change when we stop having to rely on Djourou and Koschienly when Vermaelen returns.

Funny seeing some old posts, like this one I said about Djourou. Totally have a different opinion of him now though he has improved with each further week of training and game time.

In reference to Robin, its just not logical to even suggest getting another striker while he is here. Behind him is Chamakh, followed by backups in Bendy and Vela. No reasoning can explain buying another one with this many at our disposal.

Now do we "need" another striker and should we get rid of Robin? Oh man that is whole other question that I will simply answer with a reluctant yes. We should NOT have bought Chamakh. Yes, I mean that. But the past is the past and now we are stuck in an awquard situation. A world class ST was needed rather than CF like Marouane. We needed someone to come in and be the focal point of our attack opposed to Bendy, who did well for us, but wasn't fooling anyone into thinking he was a longterm solution for a CONSTANTLY injured RvP.

In my honest opinion, if RvP doesn't manage to finish this season without another moderate to signifcant injury, he should be sold and a striker of Fabiano quality should be purchased. However, Wenger will weasel his way into defying any logical thinking in the transfer market yet again and once again excuse bringing in a much less quality player compared to that of the person leaving AFC.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Massa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:09 pm

You can always rely on Statty to bump up random threads
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Cheese » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 am

liam_cork wrote:i have a feeling he must be on his last chance i hate to speculate what someone else is thinking but AW aint as stupid as some make out. one more injury and he'll be sold the second he's fit again imo

Sadly I think your right.
Gutted. RvP could have been a would class player if it wasn't for his consistent injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby starmandb » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:05 am

rvp scored 11 premier league goals in 06/07
10 came from open play[i know fantastic free kicks home to everton and at fulham]
but i,m talking non penaltys his only 1 that season was the 1 he smashed past carson in our 4nil home win v charlton
he scored 4past them that season including his stunner at the valley
great assist from eboue as well.
his played at euro,s and a world cup final and won the uefa cup with feyenoord and the fa cup with us
i don,t know what world class means but his arsenal class and that is the highest watermark for me-
starmandb

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:15 am

He isn't Arsenal class, not while he is a crock who hasn't been able to prove his fitness.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby starmandb » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:53 pm

GunnGunn wrote:He isn't Arsenal class, not while he is a crock who hasn't been able to prove his fitness.

he started every game for holland at the 2010 world cup finals..holland reached the final...must say something about his class on the world stage
starmandb

Postby gzagee » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:02 pm

starmandb wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:He isn't Arsenal class, not while he is a crock who hasn't been able to prove his fitness.

he started every game for holland at the 2010 world cup finals..holland reached the final...must say something about his class on the world stage

Don't think he's referring to his talent though.
And how many games did they play at the world cup? 7? He always seems to be fit for the major int'l tournaments. Funny that.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Next

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie