Is RvP still the main man? or is it time....

Re: Is RvP still the main man? or is it time....

Postby starmandb » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:
Goose wrote:But PG, dont you yourself want Arsenal to match his ambition?

Spend the necessary money on the needed players?

Win trophies?

Yes, but I don't say sign the players or I'll go and support another team! Slightly different though, I admit.

It just annoyed me at the time and it annoys me when people go on about him and others being 'loyal' and 'loving the club' when we all know that he'd be off at the first sign of a bid from Barca or Real.

you...may..know..that....not...i
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Leody wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:One issue with selling him would be does anyone trust Wenger to bring in a replacement?

Nope, that's what I hope he comes good.

Maxduke wrote:I agree.

I don't even think he's as good as half of you make out, he wouldn't even make my top 5 Premiership strikers.

And I agree, that's why I said I think we tend to get an inflated opinion of players while they're out injured.

I know he's done great things in the past, but he's no Henry like people make him out to be. And now that he's been out and played maybe a dozen competitive matches in the past year I highly doubt he will be even a shadow of his former self for a long while.

Edit: Let me be clear, I still think he's OUR best striker... but I don't think he's as good as people want to classify him as. He was certainly worthy of discussion in the top 10 in the world in 08/09. But what's he done since? Been injured. And when he comes back is he ever going to be at that level again? If so how long till he gets back there?

rv..has..ha....21....comtativ....aarancs...in...th....last...12..months.....................................b
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Maxduke wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:
Maxduke wrote:
IMF wrote:Get rid? Yes please. I was ready to get rid a year ago.

There's no point to him. He's a player who gets infinitely better while he's injured but then when he's back he's lost a bit of what he was. Pace, finishing or trickery. They're all going with his injuries and how much is the c*nt paid to sit in the medical room. Can you imagine him picking up the ball on the half way line and going to score a goal? Maybe 5 years ago but not anymore.

Remember this is the player who at least 24 times a match, runs behind a defender or doesn't move to the ball expecting it to go through opposition players.

Who would you rather have in your squad?

Tevez, Drogba, Rooney, Torres, Eto'o etc etc or RVP?

He's not even in the top 10 strikers in the world.

As long as RVP is in the squad; Wenger will NOT buy a super striker as he believes he already has one in RVP. That's why he needs to go.

I agree.

I don't even think he's as good as half of you make out, he wouldn't even make my top 5 Premiership strikers.

So who would be your 5? Stupid thing to say really, it's the opposite - people forget how good he is and underrate him massively, kinda like you are now.

No it's not, massively underrate him? Most of the Arsenal fans call him world class and look forward to RVP returning from injury every season, only to be eventually let down.

I'd have all these guys over RVP...

Drogba, Rooney, Torres, Tevez, Berbatov, Bent, Adebayor, Defoe, Anelka...

The 1st 5 are who I think is better than RVP and the others i'd rather have them in my team.

his...our...class...an...that...is..fnough....for..us..an...funny..h..just...lay....in..this...littl...shbang...call...th.....worl...cu...final
starmandb

Postby Maxduke » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Not gunna even argue it anymore, you have your opinions, I have mine but to say RVP > Rooney, that's a joke.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby golfinguy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Its why I thought Chamack was not enough all along. We need a top top striker with RVP. Partner someone like that with him and we're beyond deadly. When RVP is out (inevitable it seems), we still have a top class striker.

I like what Chamack has done, but he's not the top class guy I wanted. Not with the frailties of RVP to deal with.

So, don't sell off RVP - he's quality.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Lukeispremium » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:01 am

Chamakh's come in and done pretty well, better then I thought for sure but is he a natural goalscorer? Not at all

Van Persie is a fantastic player and I don't want to see him go but we do need a proven natural goalscorer, imagine if we had someon like Tevez, Tevez carries Man City at times, you can always bet on him to get a goal

Last season our top scorer was Fabregas, a midfielder who was out for sizeable chunks of the season, he had an amazing season but he shouldn't be our top scorer

In my opinion the closest thing we have to a natural goalscorer is Bendtner, but he's clumsy, cocky and at times pretty stupid and has a lot of improvements to make

Bottom line is, it isn't our biggest problem but do we need a new striker that's of a high enough calibre to score on a regular basis? Definately.
Lukeispremium
Patrick Vieira

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:39 am

RVP is a very talented player no doubt about it but he is way too injury prone, i wouldnt say he is unlucky, unless he broke a mirror when he signed & there is truth in the old wives tale about 7yrs bad luck!
I cant think of another player who is more injury prone than him.

I'd give him till the end of the season and if he dont play 70% of the remaining games its time to sell, i wouldnt even relegate him to 2nd choice cos the chances are he'd get injured in training.

We need players who are AVAILABLE not ones who spend 20/38 games out injured, knocks & bumps here & there you can expect but with RVP its the same thing season after season after season. He has not played a full season since he joined us in 2004!
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:08 am

2008/09 RvP played a full season

He was doing very well last season until he was mown down by a reckless tackle
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Est83 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:26 am

7 goals and 7 assists in 11 games before that tackle as I remember... Deadly!

I hope that with Chamakh leading the line as well as he's doing, that Wenger will give RVP even more time than he needs to heal, just to make sure!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Forest » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:29 am

Est83 wrote:7 goals and 7 assists in 11 games before that tackle as I remember... Deadly!

I hope that with Chamakh leading the line as well as he's doing, that Wenger will give RVP even more time than he needs to heal, just to make sure!

But then a simple knock against Blackburn then its all undone again.

I dont mind keeping him but not as the main man and certainly not on those wages.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Est83 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:41 am

I see your point, and all the stats about how many games he racks up per season don't exactly go in Robin's favour. But I think sicknote thing gets blown out of proportion. It's not as if every time he recieves a challenge he goes down or suffers an injury.

His big injuries: Broken foot, twisted knee from landing awkwardly after jumping, ankle ligament damage from Chiellini's robust challenge.

Many players would be out for these injuries, and they would all suffer the niggling thigh and hamstring injuries between these big injuries just from being out for so long. The latest ankle injury is the only time he's ever looked like a complete pussy.

I still think a little bit of luck bit of luck fo the rest of the season and a summer with no tournaments, and he could build on his fitness... but I'm always the optimist!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Popey » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:04 pm

golfinguy wrote:Its why I thought Chamack was not enough all along. We need a top top striker with RVP. Partner someone like that with him and we're beyond deadly. When RVP is out (inevitable it seems), we still have a top class striker.

I like what Chamack has done, but he's not the top class guy I wanted. Not with the frailties of RVP to deal with.

So, don't sell off RVP - he's quality.

wenger will not buy what you want! you will never see wenger buying a player like torres, villa or higuain.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:29 pm

Exactly Popey

Everyone who says we should sell RvP are misguided as Wenger won't buy Higuain, Torres etc to replace him

His replacement would be Bendtner
Last edited by Goose on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby AvA » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:46 pm

gunner2018 wrote:You should know who it was against, his sub appearance against the yids.
AvA
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby starmandb » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:45 pm

robin..full...sason....08/09..an..was...our..bst...layr
starmandb

PreviousNext

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie