Robin van Persie Amongst the worlds better players.

Robin van Persie Amongst the worlds better players.

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 am

Wenger Says That Van Persie is as good as the worlds best
Robin Van Persie would be considered a world great had he stayed fit this season, according to Arsène Wenger.

The Arsenal manager made that bold declaration as he prepared to welcome the Dutch forward back into his squad for Wednesday's North London derby at Tottenham after a five-month lay-off.

Van Persie took time to acclimatise to his new centre-forward role at the start of the campaign but he clicked in September and had scored eight goals in 11 games before being cut off in his prime by injury in November.

The exploits of Lionel Messi and Wayne Rooney have lit up the 2009/10 campaign in Van Persie's absence but Wenger insists that the 26-year-old can be just as effective as that exalted duo - if only he had stayed fit to continue his flying start to the season.

"That is the biggest frustration because he had started to compete as one of the best players in the world and suddenly he was out," said Wenger.

"You would have talked about Van Persie [like Messi, Rooney and Ronaldo], of that I am sure. Of course.

"Robin is a leader because he has a football brain and is a football thinker. All his vibes are in the game. He is a winner and he has matured a lot in the last three or four years as well."

Van Persie suffered ankle ligament damage while playing for Holland in an international friendly but he now looks on course to represent his country at this summer's World Cup. Given Van Persie's misfortune in November, does that worry Wenger?

"I got slaughtered because I played William Gallas in the Quarter-Final of the Champions League and we have lost Robin in a friendly game for the whole season. What can you do about that?" replied Wenger.

"What is important is that we get him back and I believe that we can have a go until the end of the season and hopefully have a big challenge next year."

Source: Arsenal.com

I certainly feel at the time when Van Persie was injured he was the best striker in the premiership. However I don't think you can say he is as good as Messi but he is certainly up there among the best in the prem. Though it is hard to truely judge due to his injuries. Anyway where do you believe Van Persie ranks among the worlds best players? or do you need a another full season before we can truly judge.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: Robin van Persie Amongst the worlds better players.

Postby icelandicC.. » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:20 am

cant really say that cause he's injured all the time, that must be a factor
icelandicC..
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Trequartista » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:23 am

I think the Messi comparisons are slightly optimistic but for sure hes a quality player and right up there. Hes got 6 feet 2 inches of power, great skill in his locker, good eye for goal, good vision/awareness & movement and just in case that isn't enough, he plays a mean pass too and in that respect, is like Messi in that he gets lots of assists as well as goals for himself.

:hail:
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Massa » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:27 am

I can't find this on the officialwebsite - direct link?
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Massa » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:27 am

Oh never mind -found it
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Fordy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:34 am

What i dont understand is since all your players are quite clearly the best in the world today and your manager is the best in the world why the hell do you never win anything?
Fordy

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:37 am

Fordy wrote:What i dont understand is since all your players are quite clearly the best in the world today and your manager is the best in the world why the hell do you never win anything?

because the world is unfortunately not that simple. :biggrin: Also every manager belive they have one of the worlds best player.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fordy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:40 am

Bristol_Gunner wrote:: Also every manager belive they have one of the worlds best player.

im sure there are 100s of manager in English football who dont believe one of there players is the best in the world
Fordy

Postby Massa » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:40 am

2006 - CL Final
2007 - CC Final
2008 - Prem
2009 - FA Cup & CL Semis
2010 - Prem

We've come close - I blame injuries/Arsene failing to invest/lack of money.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Fordy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 am

Massa wrote:2006 - CL Final
2007 - CC Final
2008 - Prem
2009 - FA Cup & CL Semis
2010 - Prem

you won the prem in 2008?
Fordy

Postby icelandicC.. » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:42 am

Fordy wrote:What i dont understand is since all your players are quite clearly the best in the world today and your manager is the best in the world why the hell do you never win anything?

same reason Real Madrid won't win anything
icelandicC..
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Massa » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:44 am

Fordy wrote:
2007 - CC Final
2008 - Prem
2009 - FA Cup & CL Semis
2010 - Prem

I meant those were the cups we were close to winning.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Fordy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:46 am

icelandicC.. wrote:

same reason Real Madrid won't win anything

remind me again where i said real madrid had the best players in the world and the best manager ?

i know why real wont win anything its because barca have better players and are a better team.

I know why Arsenal wont win anything as well its just general opinion around here is that you are the best at everything.
Fordy

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:47 am

Fordy wrote:
Bristol_Gunner wrote:: Also every manager belive they have one of the worlds best player.

im sure there are 100s of manager in English football who dont believe one of there players is the best in the world

I know that I mean among the top 4, top 2 in Spain and even last year in Italy Mourinho was spouting how Ibra is the worlds best.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fordy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:47 am

Massa wrote:
Fordy wrote:
2007 - CC Final
2008 - Prem
2009 - FA Cup & CL Semis
2010 - Prem

I meant those were the cups we were close to winning.

i nearly won the lotto last week but im still a skint motherf***er
Fordy

Next

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie