Do you think RvP should be the spearhead?

Re: Do you think RvP should be the spearhead?

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:36 pm

United have won a truckload of trophies is because they had a better team than everyone else. Formation has a bearing but the mancs had possibly the deepest squad in Europe.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby InTheNorthBank » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:United have won a truckload of trophies is because they had a better team than everyone else. Formation has a bearing but the mancs had possibly the deepest squad in Europe.

Yeah granted, I'm not suggesting if me and my mates play 4-3-3 then we'll be breathing down Barca's necks lol.

And personel is key, you're right. Which is exactly why I don't think we'll see an out and out 'spearhead' in our formation this season because we have the personel to be fluid. Arshavin, Walcott, van Persie and Vela are all stikers come wing forwards. Perfect for a 4-3-3 formation. Bendtner and Eddie are arguably more out and out strikers, but both of them can play as well as opposed to just poaching.

P.S. I can't believe I just said Bendtner and 'poaching' in the same sentence! lol
"I am going to make this the greatest club in the world." - Herbert Chapman
InTheNorthBank
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Goose » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:11 pm

I see the 4-3-3 as a fluid all out attack formation, it wont be used against all opposition and maybe not for a whole match, but the way I see it, is that the players interchange with each other, moving about freely, there is no "spearhead"

When I was at the Emirates Cup on Sat, my mate and I were trying to work out who was in what position, but then we realised the attackers were swapping wings, dropping back, moving forward and changing positions.

It was giving me a headache and im sure it had the same effect on Atletico Madrid, as it makes it a lot harder for any attacker to be man marked.

Its really just about finding space and utilising it effectively, when one of the attackers gets the ball they draw away the defenders and get the keeper to focus on them and when you think they are going to shoot, they pass it to someone who is in space to take the shot.

It is classic old school Arsenal style play that was missing when we had Ade, as the midfield would just try to get him the ball and he would be man marked or closed down by the defence quickly.

The technique is not to use a "spearhead" striker to pass the ball to in order for them to score, but confuse the defence with goal scoring attackers running around the place passing the ball to each other until one of them has space to shoot

Check the video below of the goals from Sundays game, you will see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttgJn6gUSlw
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby foxy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Personally i dont like the 4-5-1 at all! Either it should be 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

4-5-1 just doesnt seem to work for me but we have looked pretty good in pre-season playing the 4-3-3.
Aaron Ramsey's magic, he wears an Arsenal hat. Sir Alex said come play for me but Aaron said f**k that. Ramsey is a Gooners fan, he wears his shirt with pride, he plays for Arsenal FC, red and white army by his side!
foxy
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby gzagee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:01 pm

I don't want this thread to head towards the formation threads already posted, it's more a question of whether you think RvP should continue as our spearhead, focal point, frontman, lead striker.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby goonerghost » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:23 pm

gzagee wrote:it's more a question of whether you think RvP should continue as our spearhead, focal point, frontman, lead striker.

RvP as second striker for sure mate you got it spot on from the opening post. Although as somone already stated I do like him coming in from the right to cut onto his left foot. But definitely behind Dudu or Nicklas
goonerghost
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Fabby » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:33 pm

f***ing hell this threads annoying me lol. WE AREN'T GOING TO PLAY A f***ing 4-5-1.

Why on EARTH people are talking about this is beyond me.

Jay is the only one to answer the pissing thread so far.

NorthBank, why your saying Utd didn't have a focal point I cannot understand. the focal point, was RONALDO. Its so UNBELEIVABLY obvious. I'm not saying he stayed there the entire time, thats not what a focal point is. The focal point, is who you FOCUS upon to provide your primary attacking threat.

The idea of the constant movement and switching is a good one, but I'm pretty sure that was the idea anyway its not like its just been thought of. Whoever plays our "spearhead", will more than likely be flying off to the wings or whatever and someone else will take up the spearhead position. Thing is, it doesn't always work like that.
When Ade and Bendtner played upfront alone last year, the idea was the midfielders would be constantly making runs into the box almost as second strikers. They didn't and more often than not it didn't work. Thats why AW is going with the 4-3-3 which suits us much better.
My point is, RVP can't spearhead the attack, Eduardo can.
Eduardo would spearhead in much the same way as Eto'o does for Barca, because whilst he is in the centre at the head of the spear, he has the ability to drop out wide and other players to drip into his position, IF they get used to it quickly enough. Thing is though, even in a 4-4-2 our frigging "target man" e.g. Bendtner, is always floating out to a flank to help movement, but theres no rigidity.
If a Huntelaar or Gignac was there, sat in or around the box staying on his own up top, letting Arshavin, Walcott, RVP, Fabs and Nasri do the movement behind him it would work so much better.
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Lol calm down fabby, more people than not said he can't play as a spearhead.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Gza, in response to your original question and not the derailed train wreck thread we have now...

No, RVP should not and never be the spearhead of our attack because quite simply he is shit when he plays in that role, he should either be a SS, on the wing, on the left of a 3 pronged attack or as an equal to a partner up front.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby foxy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:02 pm

gzagee wrote:I don't want this thread to head towards the formation threads already posted, it's more a question of whether you think RvP should continue as our spearhead, focal point, frontman, lead striker.

Well in that case yes id like him to be our spearhead.
Aaron Ramsey's magic, he wears an Arsenal hat. Sir Alex said come play for me but Aaron said f**k that. Ramsey is a Gooners fan, he wears his shirt with pride, he plays for Arsenal FC, red and white army by his side!
foxy
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:39 pm

I'd like to see Arshavin and Van Persie either side of Eduardo up front. I totally agree that Van Persie shouldn't be starting on his own up front or in the middle of a front three, when he does he plays too deep and we lack men in the box. If Eduardo isn't available then Bendtner should spearhead our attack.

Equally I don't think playing Bendtner out wide works. Forget his development, he's a target man! If he plays then it should be in the middle. If Wenger wants to develop players by playing them out of position then that is what the reserves are for! I blame the stick given to Eboue and Bendtner last season on Wenger playing them out of position - in their natural positions (RB and CF) both are excellent squad players - both players struggle on the wing.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby castano » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:15 pm

I think wenger had rvp's playmaking abilities on mind when he said we'd be doing 4-3-3.he's turned to be a good playmaker
castano
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby castano » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:16 pm

I think wenger had rvp's playmaking abilities on mind when he said we'd be doing 4-3-3.he's turned to be a good playmaker
castano
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby arseman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Wouldn't Van Persie be more dangerous on the right side of attack, so he could cut inside on his left foot?

Likewise Arshavin coming in from the left.
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Igmalian » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:24 pm

arseman wrote:Wouldn't Van Persie be more dangerous on the right side of attack, so he could cut inside on his left foot?

Likewise Arshavin coming in from the left.

Exactly what I said!
To Alcohol!! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems!!
Igmalian
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

PreviousNext

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie