Do you think RvP should be the spearhead?

Re: Do you think RvP should be the spearhead?

Postby arseman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Igmalian wrote:
arseman wrote:Wouldn't Van Persie be more dangerous on the right side of attack, so he could cut inside on his left foot?

Likewise Arshavin coming in from the left.

Exactly what I said!

I shoulda paid more attention to my signature :rofll: :hiding:
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby undapresha » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:20 pm

arseman wrote:
Igmalian wrote:
arseman wrote:Wouldn't Van Persie be more dangerous on the right side of attack, so he could cut inside on his left foot?

Exactly what I said!

:rofll:

I don't think RVP will ever act as a spearhead, as I don't think goal scoring is his primary ability. He is more of a creator, and as such, an all-out striker really shouldn't be his role, as it wouldn't enable him to make good use of the strengths he possesses.

Either sign a new player to act as the spearhead, or use one of Eduardo or Bendtner (Bendtner is perhaps not yet ideal, but with time he should be).
undapresha
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby castano » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:22 am

i opined that a lot last season which makes me wonder if players can make suggestion to coaches on how/when/where they want to change wings to suit their style during games
castano
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:37 pm

Van Persie is a poor mans Bergkamp. Eduardo is more of an Ian Wright type striker. Whilst we haven't seen Eduardo play a full season so its hard to judge i'd say he's more of an out and out goalscorer then RVP.

Eduardo should be the spearhead with Van Persie dropping slightly off him IMHO.

Wonder if they could ever perform as good a partnership as Wright and Bergkamp did? :think: :think:
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:40 am

No I don't. I think he should play on the right with Eddy in the middle (and Bendy coming on as sub sometimes).

Just like everyone else huh!
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

What is Robin Van Persie's Best Position?

Postby Fever » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:48 am

The square peg in round hole statement has been used to describe our options across many areas of the pitch for us this season. It's a statement which lead me on to - Robin Van persie our top scorer and arguably player of the season (Gallas or Arshavin for me). It could be argued RVP is a square peg wherever you put him as he hasn't cemented a permanant role in his time here. The debate really becomes interesting as it appears we are moving towards a 4-2-3-1 formation (in big matches at least).

At the beginning of the season I doubted RVs value to the team as although he is a supremely talented player he never played enough games nor i felt did he consistently showed up in the big games or against the big teams. Although this has been an up and down season for not just RVP but the whole team, RVP has done well. You can now say he has earned a new contract and has started to pay back all the faith and patience Wenger has put in him. But the question stil remains what role does/should he play in our future?

Personally I see RVP as a player best suited as an orthodox striker next to a strike partner. He has however developed an annoying tendancy to come deep into the midfield time and time again to pick up the ball. RVP is good on the ball but personally I like to see him on the ball much further up the field as he does tend to hold onto the ball too long and his passing and link up is very overated. When near the box his abillity to slide through a sneaky through ball, twist and turn and of course shoot makes him potentially one of the leagues most dangerous players. As one of two strikers he could be briliant but there is a suggestion (despite a good record with Ade) that he doesn't really form a natural partership with any striker in the club. In a withdrawn striker role Arshavin is arguably much better. He struggles as a lone striker so:

Where do you feel his best position is?
Fever

Postby gzagee » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:48 am

Merged for you.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Bumped, sorry. I think it's still a relevant subject.

Although he's performed manfully i still think being the spearhead isn't his position. I'd much rather see him on the left or the right with either Bendy or MC playing through the middle.

Wenger persists with this attack formation yet won't consider playing him on the right or left. He has the skills to be just as effective (if not moreso) as Nas.

Do you guys think he's now better suited to the role he currently occupies or would you like to see him deployed on the right/left of the attack?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:08 pm

He should stay where he is unless we go back to a 4-4-2 or some variation which incorperates 2 strikers up front.

I certainly think this is his position, up front is where he needs to be.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:59 pm

I think the goals make this whole debate null and void. He's first choice up in the danger area, no question.

I definitely want to see us going back to two strikers though. We just have too many strikers who are wasting away because of this formation. Two of our five strikers can't even play in their prefered position because they're not suited to playing the lone striker role. Van Persie himself I think would actually play EVEN better if he was one of two strikers also.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:58 pm

GunnGunn wrote:He should stay where he is unless we go back to a 4-4-2 or some variation which incorperates 2 strikers up front.

I certainly think this is his position, up front is where he needs to be.

I agree. He surprised me by how good he ha been as the lone striker. I still think he could do well on the right but that should only be in emergencies. But with everyone fit, he da man up top

Or if we were to buy a proper class CF then I'm all in favour of going back to 442 and RVP resuming his old role
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:42 am

don't think he really has the pace to play on the wings
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Swan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 pm

undapresha wrote:
arseman wrote:
Igmalian wrote:

Exactly what I said!

I don't think RVP will ever act as a spearhead, as I don't think goal scoring is his primary ability. He is more of a creator, and as such, an all-out striker really shouldn't be his role, as it wouldn't enable him to make good use of the strengths he possesses.

Either sign a new player to act as the spearhead, or use one of Eduardo or Bendtner (Bendtner is perhaps not yet ideal, but with time he should be).

ok who is the girl in his avatar
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:13 pm

Swan wrote:
undapresha wrote:
arseman wrote:
Igmalian wrote:

Exactly what I said!

ok who is the girl in his avatar

she's cute ;)
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Swan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:32 pm

thats for sure
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Previous

Return to 10. Robin Van Persie