Hockey

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

Hockey

Postby Piston Broke » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:37 am

And i don't mean the poofy we wear helmets, padding and slide about on ice + handbags at 5 paces crap :lol:

Grass/Field Hockey anyone else play it ?

I've played for about 22 years on and off and love the sport it's a real quick game with similar positioning too football i benched for Hounslow many moons ago who were in the National league (EPL equivalent) was like benching for wigan or summink but went back to my old club after 1 year and have been there ever since if you haven't played then try it it's a club based sport so it's a bit like rugby in that sense huge drinking abilities required and if you don't have we'll teach you :)
Piston Broke
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Re: Hockey

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:25 pm

Piston Broke wrote: it's a bit like rugby in that sense huge drinking abilities required and if you don't have we'll teach you :)

What does drinking and Rugby have in common? Or did you mean football? It's Football players who are out on the lash making tits of themselves, not Rugby players. Our team arn't allowed to go near drink these days.

But on topic, I prefer Ice Hockey.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Trina » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:28 am

I haven't played it since I was at school and to be honest didn't like it then...although there was no protection for your shins so I think thats why!
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Fee » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:12 pm

hockey is for wimps - shinty/hurling is much more vicious and entertaining! :goonergirlie:
Fee
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Piston Broke » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:40 am

Yorkyblue wrote:
Piston Broke wrote: it's a bit like rugby in that sense huge drinking abilities required and if you don't have we'll teach you :)

What does drinking and Rugby have in common? Or did you mean football? It's Football players who are out on the lash making tits of themselves, not Rugby players. Our team arn't allowed to go near drink these days.

But on topic, I prefer Ice Hockey.

i can see you've never been to the many non professional Rugby clubs that i have then :mrgreen: i agree maybe not so much in the professional side of it but thats the same as Hounslow when i was there it was considered very bad to Drink Pre/Post match hence why i went back to Ashford but in General Rugby has a huge Drinking Culture because it's a clubhouse based Sport same as Cricket/hockey Etc

Fee Hurling is for girls they all wear helmets and if anyone comes near them they lift the ball up and Hoof it upfield and run away :lol:
And yes i have played it several times (Being Irish)and TBH i found it really easy no challenge at all after coming from a good level of Hockey background i took to it like a duck to Water i went training with Westmeath a few times & the coach was very interested in me even though i lived in england he was trying to persuade my dad to move back home just so i could play for there youth team :D TBH if i couldn't play Hockey though Hurling would be right up there for me in games i'd like to play

I agree - hurling is for girlies but shinty is not for the faint-hearted! they have to wear helmets with face guards up to the age of 14 and after that, they don't have to but are advised that it might be a good idea!
Piston Broke
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:31 pm

hey shinty player here!

let me tell u, us scots from north west have a drinking culture too match/outdo any hockey "men".

played shinty v hurling

and both sets of players will agree, shinty is rougher, as sticks are stronger and get more damaging injuries (in gen). altho hurling is prob slightly faster as its mostly played in the air
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Leafo » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:08 am

Piston Broke wrote:And i don't mean the poofy we wear helmets, padding and slide about on ice + handbags at 5 paces crap :lol:

Hey I play fricken Ice Hockey.
And don't no one say it's a soft sport.
Because even with all the padding it hurts.
Imagine a 200 + pound guy coming at you and crushing you against the board.
Hardly any give on those boards.
And even the open ice hits are effin brutal.
And if one of em rubber pucks hit you in the leg coming at over 80 mph (alot of people manage to shoot in the 90s and even some reaching 100)...and hits the right spot,
even through padding it can break your leg or ankle.
I saw my mate, the other day.
He said to me, he's seen the white Pele.
So I ask, who is he?
He goes by the name of Wayne Rooney
Wayne Rooney
Wayne Rooney
He goes by the name of Wayne Rooney
Leafo
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Piston Broke » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:53 am

Leafo wrote:
Piston Broke wrote:And i don't mean the poofy we wear helmets, padding and slide about on ice + handbags at 5 paces crap :lol:

Hey I play fricken Ice Hockey.
And don't no one say it's a soft sport.
Because even with all the padding it hurts.
Imagine a 200 + pound guy coming at you and crushing you against the board.
Hardly any give on those boards.
And even the open ice hits are effin brutal.
And if one of em rubber pucks hit you in the leg coming at over 80 mph (alot of people manage to shoot in the 90s and even some reaching 100)...and hits the right spot,
even through padding it can break your leg or ankle.

haha Poofters i body check people with no padding & just get up and get on with it!
It's just the English way i suppose look at Rugby/American football one with helmets and pads & then a real sport ? Americans are queers i tell ya

and as for the 80/90/100 Mph comment about he rubber puck !!! i hit a Solid Plastic Hockey ball at at over 100 Mph + and have broken 2 players arms & obliterated someone's Jaw + a few other serious injuries along the way & none of us wear pads ? (other than the keeper)
Piston Broke
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:58 pm

r u trying too make HOCKEY sound hardcore???!! lol

theres hardly any conatct allowed in hockey? isnt there restrictions on your swing when close too oppostion?

its not a patch on the gaelic ball sports
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Swan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:42 am

Grass/Field Hockey anyone else play it ?

I've played for about 22 years on and off and love the sport it's a real quick game with similar positioning too football i benched for Hounslow many moons ago who were in the National league (EPL equivalent) was like benching for wigan or summink but went back to my old club after 1 year and have been there ever since if you haven't played then try it it's a club based sport so it's a bit like rugby in that sense huge drinking abilities required and if you don't have we'll teach you :)

i know this is an old thread but here where i'm from only girls play field hockey...
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby niko197 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:19 am

hahahaha, what a shit thread, ice hockey is a game for real men, shinty is girly sport.
niko197
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Return to Other Sports