WWE

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

Re: WWE

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Its a close one. They had some great matches but Angle was far more entertaining
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:49 pm

Angle was also far superior in terms of actual wrestling ability.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Can't blame the man, tbh. Post-mortem scans revealed that he had a brain of an 87-year-old with Alzheimer's. He destroyed his body to become the best and by God, I've not seen a better pure wrestler in my life. Sad how it all went down.

Plenty of wrestlers have ravaged their bodies and brains, yet they somehow refrained from killing their family.

Yes. Just as many humans have gone on with their lives without suffering from depression or anxiety. Smh.

Not defending his actions. Mental health is a severe issue, which can't be glossed over without proper evaluation.

Also, Benoit a better pure wrestler than Kurt Angle?

Never.

This pretty much tells me that you haven't been a staunch follower of pro-wrestling. :P

Chris Benoit is the greatest technical wrestler ever. He's done it on every continent and he can wrestle any style. I consider Angle a great technician but he didn't as much depth in in-ring psychology as Chris Benoit did.

Angle was phenomenal on mic and had so much charisma, but as a wrestler, it's tough to get someone as good as Benoit - who was the purest of the pure wrestlers. Angle was a phenomenal athlete but lacked considerably when it came to ring psychology.

Benoit was literally flawless. He battered his body for it and paid the price. But he was flawless as a wrestler.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:18 am

I'm confused, you're giving Benoit the edge over Angle due to his in-ring psychology?

What does psychology have to do with wrestling ability?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:I'm confused, you're giving Benoit the edge over Angle due to his in-ring psychology?

What does psychology have to do with wrestling ability?

Ring psychology is the ability to tell a story in the ring depending on the opponent and the story that needs to be told. Angle is, of course, good at it, but he didn't adapt to the opponent as Benoit did, which is why you will find a great Benoit match with a technical marvel like Angle, with a methodical powerhouse technician like Triple H, or a monster bully like Kane, Big Show, or even Mark Henry.

In-ring psychology consists of dramatizing wrestling and invoking a reaction by more than just pulling out move after move, which is something Angle has been guilty of. Not that I'd complain. Angle's best matches (Austin @ SS '01, Benoit @ RR '03, and Michaels @ WM 21) had such storytelling in spades.

Move-for-move, of course, it's arguable as Angle comes from an amateur background. As a professional wrestler, Benoit did it in many places, in different styles, and against a variety of opponents for a longer period. Sadly, Angle's peak didn't last long.

Things like having a purpose behind each move, building to that dramatic moment, and knowing when to use what move and how to decapitate the opponent is a significant part of pro wrestling. Precisely why some of the greatest matches weren't flashy. In terms of flash, Angle was as good as any in WWE.

It's down preference I guess. I just consider Benoit a complete pure wrestler who mastered every aspect of wrestling. Angle is charismatic and amazing on the mic, which Benoit never was.

The thing with Benoit is he could put on a three-star match with anyone. Bret Hart is another one. Triple H did in 00-01. Angle in 02-04. Benoit just did it longer.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:44 am

Move-for-move, of course, it's arguable as Angle comes from an amateur background.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at.

When I said Angle was the better technical wrestler I mean his actual wrestling ability - real wrestling (amateur).

But as someone who was a diehard fan in the early 2000s, your post was very enlightening.

I din't realize it was so deep and nuanced (the psychology and all that).

Also, while we're talking about Benoit I'd like to take this opportunity to mention his physique; one of the most impressive builds I've ever seen (yes he was on roids obviously).

But still, I've never seen anyone so stocky, his neck/traps were ridiculous, he actually looked like a rabid animal pumped full of adrenaline.

When you're a young kid you don't realize just how crazy these wrestler's bodies are until you get older.

Christ, a Wolverine for real.

Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:59 am

Some guy announced he's vacating his belt because he's battling Leukemia. He's called Roman something.

I don't actually watch this so i don't know who he is, It's just everywhere on social media.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Scenes when this turns out to be a work.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:43 pm

Just saw it.

Heartbreaking

Already beat it 11 years ago but now its back.

Hope he beats it again
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:52 pm

One of the few newer guys I actually like, but regardless, terrible news for anyone. Seems confident he can beat it again so good luck to him and hope he does :pray:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Good luck to him. Hope he comes out of it fine and dandy.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Mene Gene is gone. Absolute legend
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:26 pm

Ach wrote:Mene Gene is gone. Absolute legend

Curse of Ramsey. RIP. :(
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:58 am

First Smackdown on fox and they went big.

Tyson fury lol

Trying to get at Braun strowman. He'd be ripped apart

Some UFC pubber going after Brock.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:40 pm

For those of you who follow WWE, are the Undertaker and Triple H expected to have matches at WrestleMania 36?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports