Britain's forgotten great?

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

Britain's forgotten great?

Postby dynamitekidfan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 am

Anyone here heard of the Tom Billington? Aka The Dynamite Kid
He is one of Britain's greatest athletes and performers of all time...but is pretty much unheard of.
This is most likely down to the art in which he excelled..pro wrestling. WWE/WCW/ECW have changed the course of wrestling and it is now more of an entertainment based art, rather than a sport orientated art.
When Dynamite wrestled, wrestling was taken more seriously particularly in Japan (where Dynamite remains a true legend).
The guy was incredible and is still highly regarded by his peers. I just feel he deserves some praise for his incredible talent and career. After all he was English and he did show the rest of the world how it is done.
Here's a link to a video to demonstrate his talents, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18bVurF8eok

ps. Dynamite also has a crazy personal life which is well worth researching, making him a massively controversial guy. Check out his book Pure Dynamite too
dynamitekidfan
Liam Brady

Re: Britain's forgotten great?

Postby GSK_AFC » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:08 am

He was one of the best in terms of in-ring ability, very technical which is probably down to wrestling in Canada with the Harts in Stampede Wrestling. His time in WWF as part of the British bulldogs was great too, still one of the greatest tag teams (which as a division is dying) as his technical, quick move set complimented the strength of Davey Boy Smith. I've seen a few of his matches in Japan which are considered his best (vs Tiger Mask) but couldn't really get into them.
It's a shame about his disability but his legacy will live on as he clearly inspired the next generation of wrestlers like Y2J and Benoit.
I haven't read his book but he has been mentioned in other books ive read like Bret Harts.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Return to Other Sports