Oscar Pistorius - The Trial

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

Re: Oscar Pistorius - The Trial

Postby Nuggets » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:14 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:Pistorius gets all the breaks during sentencing....

Mitigating circumstances including his regret and remorse (incompatible with being found guilty of murder because by definition he has been lying for three years)

More credit for his vulnerability and basically the fact he's going to have a shit time in jail

Let's pretend for a minute that Oscar's phantom burglar had actually broken into his house and blown away a rich white woman. How much leniency do you reckon he'd have got? "Oh, I'm very sorry, I'm desperately poor, my dad got murdered when I was a kid, I ended up on drugs and that's how it all happened..... 30 years for that guy you can guarantee it.

I hardly think you can play that scenario out when the judge is black. Why do you think prosecutors tried to get him executed with that Murder with intent charge?

Because it's their job.

No, their job is to get a realistic conviction that sees justice done. What they charged him with, they had nowhere near the amount of evidence required for it. It's because they made such hash of it that Pistorious gets "the breaks", of which there were several reasonable mitigating factors.

I reckon you know about the same amount I do regarding South African laws and sentencing guidelines. Eg f**k all.

But I know a rich white boy getting soft sentence when I see one.

With a black judge and no jury in a country that is predominantly black and mostly on low incomes where there is no doubt a lingering distrust of white people owing to the legacy of apartheid? Any reason why they'd give "a rich white boy" a "soft sentence"? I can't think of a reason why there'd be an incentive to do that.

Wealth and power, can you imagine a poor black guy or a poor white guy getting the same treatment/sentence, I think not.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:01 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:Pistorius gets all the breaks during sentencing....

Mitigating circumstances including his regret and remorse (incompatible with being found guilty of murder because by definition he has been lying for three years)

More credit for his vulnerability and basically the fact he's going to have a shit time in jail

Let's pretend for a minute that Oscar's phantom burglar had actually broken into his house and blown away a rich white woman. How much leniency do you reckon he'd have got? "Oh, I'm very sorry, I'm desperately poor, my dad got murdered when I was a kid, I ended up on drugs and that's how it all happened..... 30 years for that guy you can guarantee it.

I hardly think you can play that scenario out when the judge is black. Why do you think prosecutors tried to get him executed with that Murder with intent charge?

Because it's their job.

No, their job is to get a realistic conviction that sees justice done. What they charged him with, they had nowhere near the amount of evidence required for it. It's because they made such hash of it that Pistorious gets "the breaks", of which there were several reasonable mitigating factors.

I reckon you know about the same amount I do regarding South African laws and sentencing guidelines. Eg f**k all.

But I know a rich white boy getting soft sentence when I see one.

With a black judge and no jury in a country that is predominantly black and mostly on low incomes where there is no doubt a lingering distrust of white people owing to the legacy of apartheid? Any reason why they'd give "a rich white boy" a "soft sentence"? I can't think of a reason why there'd be an incentive to do that.

Wealth and power, can you imagine a poor black guy or a poor white guy getting the same treatment/sentence, I think not.

That's more realistic rather than basing it on skin colour.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:06 pm

UFGN never said it was because of skin colour though.

You were the one who brought up the race issue in regards to the judge.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:10 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:UFGN never said it was because of skin colour though.

except he started that with "rich white woman"
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:36 am

Royal Gooner wrote:

except he started that with "rich white woman"

Except ultimately it's just you on the wrong side of an argument about racism yet again.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Pudpop » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:19 am

Except that quote is still wrong... he'd have 15 max if he's in the same situation as oscar ffs

You people are speculating about a legal system you know nothing about. f**k off
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:24 am

Pudpop wrote:

Except that quote is still wrong... he'd have 15 max if he's in the same situation as oscar ffs

You people are speculating about a legal system you know nothing about. f**k off

A ten second Google search shows me that 15 years would be the MINIMUM sentence. My whole point is he would get far from the minimum.

Don't bullshit me son
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:34 am

Pudpop wrote:Except that quote is still wrong... he'd have 15 max if he's in the same situation as oscar ffs

It's not that deep.

My point was never about sentence length - I didn't even notice UFGN wrote "30 years for that guy" - my point is the average person would have received the 15 year minimum, Oscar caught breaks because of his status.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Pudpop » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:41 pm

UFGN wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

A ten second Google search shows me that 15 years would be the MINIMUM sentence. My whole point is he would get far from the minimum.

Don't bullshit me son

:doh:

You're embarrassing yourself. Try googling it for longer than 10s and you might learn something

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Except that quote is still wrong... he'd have 15 max if he's in the same situation as oscar ffs

It's not that deep.

My point was never about sentence length - I didn't even notice UFGN wrote "30 years for that guy" - my point is the average person would have received the 15 year minimum, Oscar caught breaks because of his status.

Averaging person would receive more than 6 years, yes that's true. Oscar didn't catch breaks because of his status though. He caught breaks because the judge wasn't hard on him. A different judge and he'd have 15 years, another and he might get 12, 8 or even 5.

Did his status influence the judge? Maybe, but that's nothing to do with our legal system ffs
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:54 pm

Pudpop wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Don't bullshit me son

You're embarrassing yourself. Try googling it for longer than 10s and you might learn something

Va-Va-Voom wrote:

It's not that deep.

Averaging person would receive more than 6 years, yes that's true. Oscar didn't catch breaks because of his status though. He caught breaks because the judge wasn't hard on him. A different judge and he'd have 15 years, another and he might get 12, 8 or even 5.

Did his status influence the judge? Maybe, but that's nothing to do with our legal system ffs

Like ours your legal system is sh1te,the judge in my opinion lacked the balls to put this animal down for a much longer sentence.
Nuggets

Postby UFGN » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:29 pm

Pudpop wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Don't bullshit me son

Va-Va-Voom wrote:

It's not that deep.

Comfortable with what I've seen. The minimum is 15 years.

UFGN

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:06 pm

Pudpop wrote:Averaging person would receive more than 6 years, yes that's true. Oscar didn't catch breaks because of his status though. He caught breaks because the judge wasn't hard on him. A different judge and he'd have 15 years, another and he might get 12, 8 or even 5.

This is all I've said; I never questioned your legal sentence, I only criticised the judge.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Previous

Return to Other Sports