Oscar Pistorius - The Trial

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

Re: Oscar Pistorius - The Trial

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:21 am

Pudpop wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Can't tell if you guys are trolling or not. Our legal system doesn't give life imprisonment for 1st degree murder, nor should it.

Why not? do the crime do the time, too many tree huggers in out legal system.

Our minimum sentence for murder is 15 years, but since OP is a first time offender + has been ruled to be unlikely to do it again 15 becomes a maximum. The 9 years taken off is due to mitigating factors, some of which even I disagree with. 10 years would have been better, maybe even 12.

Also, for whoever asked, this is a fresh sentence. He has to serve 6 years, but will probably be out on parole after 2.

"Our minimum sentence for murder is 15 years" .... except of course the word minimum is meaningless in a Country where corruption, fame, privilege can get you away with almost anything .... joke of a legal system ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cripps » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:23 am

Depends on the women tbh.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:31 am

Pistorius gets all the breaks during sentencing....

Mitigating circumstances including his regret and remorse (incompatible with being found guilty of murder because by definition he has been lying for three years)

More credit for his vulnerability and basically the fact he's going to have a shit time in jail

Let's pretend for a minute that Oscar's phantom burglar had actually broken into his house and blown away a rich white woman. How much leniency do you reckon he'd have got? "Oh, I'm very sorry, I'm desperately poor, my dad got murdered when I was a kid, I ended up on drugs and that's how it all happened..... 30 years for that guy you can guarantee it.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:32 am

UFGN wrote:Pistorius gets all the breaks during sentencing....

Mitigating circumstances including his regret and remorse (incompatible with being found guilty of murder because by definition he has been lying for three years)

More credit for his vulnerability and basically the fact he's going to have a shit time in jail

Let's pretend for a minute that Oscar's phantom burglar had actually broken into his house and blown away a rich white woman. How much leniency do you reckon he'd have got? "Oh, I'm very sorry, I'm desperately poor, my dad got murdered when I was a kid, I ended up on drugs and that's how it all happened..... 30 years for that guy you can guarantee it.

I hardly think you can play that scenario out when the judge is black. Why do you think prosecutors tried to get him executed with that Murder with intent charge?
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:21 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Can't tell if you guys are trolling or not. Our legal system doesn't give life imprisonment for 1st degree murder, nor should it.

Why not? do the crime do the time, too many tree huggers in out legal system.

Our minimum sentence for murder is 15 years, but since OP is a first time offender + has been ruled to be unlikely to do it again 15 becomes a maximum. The 9 years taken off is due to mitigating factors, some of which even I disagree with. 10 years would have been better, maybe even 12.

Also, for whoever asked, this is a fresh sentence. He has to serve 6 years, but will probably be out on parole after 2.

"Our minimum sentence for murder is 15 years" .... except of course the word minimum is meaningless in a Country where corruption, fame, privilege can get you away with almost anything .... joke of a legal system ....

Ok, I'll let you keep being an ignorant t**t then. I tried explaining the situation but you obviously have a preconceived notion of the South African legal system and everything about it, so I'll leave you be.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:

I hardly think you can play that scenario out when the judge is black. Why do you think prosecutors tried to get him executed with that Murder with intent charge?

Because it's their job.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:23 pm

I hope he is made somebody's bitch and gets a good seeing to every night, bastard should be locked up for life.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Santi » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:13 pm

Nuggets wrote:I hope he is made somebody's bitch and gets a good seeing to every night, bastard should be locked up for life.

Imagine having this much angst for someone you've never met.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Nuggets wrote:I hope he is made somebody's bitch and gets a good seeing to every night, bastard should be locked up for life.

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:44 pm

Mesüt wrote:

For what he done and got away with its easy, you obviously haven't had somebody close to you taken from you by a murdering bastard like him.
Nuggets

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:27 pm

UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

Because it's their job.

No, their job is to get a realistic conviction that sees justice done. What they charged him with, they had nowhere near the amount of evidence required for it. It's because they made such hash of it that Pistorious gets "the breaks", of which there were several reasonable mitigating factors.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

Because it's their job.

No, their job is to get a realistic conviction that sees justice done. What they charged him with, they had nowhere near the amount of evidence required for it. It's because they made such hash of it that Pistorious gets "the breaks", of which there were several reasonable mitigating factors.

I reckon you know about the same amount I do regarding South African laws and sentencing guidelines. Eg f**k all.

But I know a rich white boy getting soft sentence when I see one.

UFGN

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:35 pm

UFGN wrote:I know a rich white boy getting soft sentence when I see one.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:54 pm

UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

Because it's their job.

I reckon you know about the same amount I do regarding South African laws and sentencing guidelines. Eg f**k all.

With a black judge and no jury in a country that is predominantly black and mostly on low incomes where there is no doubt a lingering distrust of white people owing to the legacy of apartheid? Any reason why they'd give "a rich white boy" a "soft sentence"? I can't think of a reason why there'd be an incentive to do that.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

Because it's their job.

With a black judge and no jury in a country that is predominantly black and mostly on low incomes where there is no doubt a lingering distrust of white people owing to the legacy of apartheid? Any reason why they'd give "a rich white boy" a "soft sentence"? I can't think of a reason why there'd be an incentive to do that.

Try harder.

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports