Olympics putting football in its place?

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

Olympics putting football in its place?

Postby UFGN » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:22 pm

There is no doubt for me that football is the best sport in the world to watch. I grew up an Arsenal fan and its part of who I am. Nothing beats the intensity of a football match over ninety minutes.

But.

Seeing the emotion, dedication, sacrafice and all-or-nothing attitude of so many of the athletes in these London Olympics has made me have a lot more respect for other sports.

Christina Oghurugu defending her title in an olympic final, a mile from where she was born. Wiggins getting gold ten days after winning the tour de france. These and so many like them are tough, hard, people whove given everything they have just to be in one race or one event.

Maybe some of the whinging, self important babies who wear the shirts of our top football clubs, and nations, should take note and learn a lesson in humility.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: Olympics putting football in its place?

Postby Zedie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:00 pm

This is the thing. Very few nations and even less disciplines offer the sort of financial rewards that footballers get. A lot of these athletes sacrifice so much of their lives to get to where they are, all on a shoe string budget, with little gain money wise. They do it out of love, pride, determination to be the best and the most important thing is the country they do it for.

Most footballers choose club over country now and a lot of the England team don't leave me convinced that international duty isn't anything other than an inconvenience.

It just goes to show, Andy Murray will have a chance to win wimbeldon every year until he retires, but he had one shot at winning gold for Britain, in Britain in his and many others lifetimes.

Much admiration for all the athletes that fought as hard as they could regardless if they won gold or f**k all.

Apart from those dicks in the badminton and any drug cheats...
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby AFC10 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Big big difference IMO!

Every dvent in the Olympics you're competing flat out from the off (Minus the odd heat) football is over a long season! Theres always going to be a lot more emotion and desire shown in a 17 day Olympics competing for medals than over a period of 10 months fighting for league titles ect. Look at Man city last game of the season to win the league.. the emotion showed from the City players that day knocks everything for 6!
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:56 am

For me it's the humility of the athletes that gets me. The fact that Mo Farah jogs around his local field amongst us mere mortals before he goes abroad (presumably to higher altitudes) to train in the months leading up to events... amazing!

These athletes have their feet firmly on the ground, and that's where the Olympics puts football in it's place.

Money and global popularity has turned football into what it is today. If 90% of the people out there were given the money and social status that footballers have, it would turn them in to similarly behaving arseholes just like our "heros". The sprinters and boxers are from similar backgrounds to footballers though, and they carry themselves just as well as the privately educated fencers, sailors and Equestrian horse riders, so it's a little dissapointing for the behaviour of footballers to come down another typical class debate just as it does in the football/rugby debate.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 am

You can never discount money from anything, but Olmypics comes more close to taking money out of the equation than any event irrespective of the sport. The kind of intensity and dedication you see on the faces of the athletes even on those who have negligible chance winning a medal, is something to be admired, respected and saluted. The 100m sprint had goose bumps on me. Olympics genuinely brings the world together and i for one have thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Michael phelps becoming the highest medaled athlete in the olympics ever, Murray beating the man who beat him in the Wimbeldon finals barely a fortnight ago, Bolt creating history after becoming only the second man to defend his 100m title, there are so many stories to tell. On the other end the players have toiled their heart out just to qualify for the Olympics just to be their for there nation sacrificing everything has to be saluted.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Football for me anytime. I suppose the honesty and level-headedness in other sports are better. But football is EASILY my no 1 thing in life. (well after my kids).
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 am

I think Rugby League puts things in to place. Most players are really level headed. Take batterings on the field, work shit loads of hours in training etc. In a year, the whole squad earns around 1.5million a year TOGETHER. I think only 3 players are allowed to earn over 70k a year as well, or something like that due to salary cap rules.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:43 am

I absolutely agree and always have. It's not so much the money or anything like that, rather the fact that they are just real, normal people, who respect each other and respect sport and carry themselves with dignity.

They dedicate their lives to just a couple hours of action that will define their legacy and yet most of them are thrilled just to be there, competing for their countries. The Olympic spirit

And then you flick over to the football and you see players fronting up to eachother, having a go at the ref and throwing strops. Embarrassing
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:I think Rugby League puts things in to place. Most players are really level headed. Take batterings on the field, work shit loads of hours in training etc. In a year, the whole squad earns around 1.5million a year TOGETHER. I think only 3 players are allowed to earn over 70k a year as well, or something like that due to salary cap rules.

Don't know how it is in the UK, but over here they're a disgusting bunch of thugs. There seems to be reports of mass brawls/rapes/coke sprees from rugby league players just about every week.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:47 pm

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:I think Rugby League puts things in to place. Most players are really level headed. Take batterings on the field, work shit loads of hours in training etc. In a year, the whole squad earns around 1.5million a year TOGETHER. I think only 3 players are allowed to earn over 70k a year as well, or something like that due to salary cap rules.

Don't know how it is in the UK, but over here they're a disgusting bunch of thugs. There seems to be reports of mass brawls/rapes/coke sprees from rugby league players just about every week.

Or getting blow jobs from dogs? haha

He was going to sign for Cas but ended up at Warrington.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Bet you wish you had got him. He is class.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Return to Other Sports