kickboxing

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

kickboxing

Postby Dejan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Does anyone here does (competitive) kickboxing(or muay thay)?

Im interested to start with it and I wonder how long you need to train before you can go competitive.
I watch k1 regarly but i never know if its allowed to kick on the knee? Anyone knows that?

I have a weak left knee so not sure if that could be a problem

greets

D
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Re: kickboxing

Postby GunnGunn » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:16 pm

If you have a weak knee then you wont go very far, competitive or otherwise in Kickboxing or Muay Thai.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby whee » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:57 am

By 'weak left knee' what exactly do you mean?

If it's something that can be strengthened through working on it, then shouldn't be a problem, but if it's permanent damage, i'd suggest you avoid anything like kick boxing/boxing etc, as the training regimes will upset your injury.

I used to play footy with a lad, loved his kickboxing and he's been South England, British champion and had European title fights. Madness.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Dejan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:10 am

whee wrote:By 'weak left knee' what exactly do you mean?

If it's something that can be strengthened through working on it, then shouldn't be a problem, but if it's permanent damage, i'd suggest you avoid anything like kick boxing/boxing etc, as the training regimes will upset your injury.

I used to play footy with a lad, loved his kickboxing and he's been South England, British champion and had European title fights. Madness.

Well. I actually dont know lol. The doctors till today has never found the real injury, of the cause of the injury. My knee just snaps(happend about 5 times in the last 3 years while playing footy). 1,5 year ago I had fysiotherapy for a few months and my knee lasted till about 2 months ago when it snapped again.

I might have a 'look-surgery' soon and hopefully that will chance alot since my knee is a bit of a struggle with my bodybuilding passion aswell.

But still, it is allowed to kick on the knee?
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby whee » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:21 am

I am not aware of the rules, not an interest of mine really bud.

I'd probably give it a wide berth until you know what the problem is.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:49 am

Dejan wrote:
whee wrote:By 'weak left knee' what exactly do you mean?

Well. I actually dont know lol. The doctors till today has never found the real injury, of the cause of the injury. My knee just snaps(happend about 5 times in the last 3 years while playing footy). 1,5 year ago I had fysiotherapy for a few months and my knee lasted till about 2 months ago when it snapped again.

I might have a 'look-surgery' soon and hopefully that will chance alot since my knee is a bit of a struggle with my bodybuilding passion aswell.

But still, it is allowed to kick on the knee?

Yes, in Kickboxing you are allowed to kick the knee, and in Muay Thai especially, its arguably the most effective and most used move for obvious reasons.

Avoid both of them.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Dejan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Boxer wrote:I done Kickboxing for a few years in my early 20`s, and any joint problem WILL show up in one form or other, be it through traning or fights. I had a ankle injury when i was in the school football team (i could have been a pro :hiding: ) and thought it would be ok by this time.... :doh: It was ok doing the training until i started going into tournaments, and thats when it flaired up again. So i started doing karate (shotokan) which is`nt full contact, and found that much better on the ankle.

Cheers. How long did you had to train before u went competitive?. And how much time per week did you train?
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Return to Other Sports