Favourite moments of sporting commentary

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

Re: Favourite moments of sporting commentary

Postby SE13 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:53 pm

Gunflash wrote:Bjorge Lillelien (after Norway's 2-1 win over England in 1981) reeling of a list of famous English people culminating with:

"Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher...your boys took a hell of a beating!"

Lillelien was well known for his crazy commentaries and you have to admire his knowledge of historical English figures. I doubt if a British commentator would know who the Norwegian prime minister was. :lol:

Yeah, that was a classic, and I think it's floating around somewhere, I might trawl you tube a bit later.....

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby freddybhoy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:40 pm

"They almost take it in turns to give an exhibition!" Kenneth Wolstenholme during the build up to Brazil's fourth goal in the 1970 World Cup Final.

And my own personal favourites..........

"And Clemence's day is complete!" David Coleman describing King Kenny's nutmeg at Hampden in 1976.

"He has Burrachaga to his right, Valdano to his left.......... he won't need any of them!" Barry Davies waxing lyrical as Maradona's dancing feet mesmerise England in Mexico. I believe he may have had a hand in the first goal as well!

Hat's off to Wolstenholme, Coleman and Davies. Legends. :hail:
ONE VOICE, ONE LOVE, ONE FAITH, ONE CELTIC
freddybhoy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Gunflash » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:19 am

freddybhoy wrote:"He has Burrachaga to his right, Valdano to his left.......... he won't need any of them!" Barry Davies waxing lyrical as Maradona's dancing feet mesmerise England in Mexico. I believe he may have had a hand in the first goal as well!

"you have to say that's magnificent"

Barry Davies was great.

One of my favourite Davies quotes was in World Cup 1990 when Argentina played Italy. Maradona set off on a mazy run and Davies went: "Dancing feet! Still dancing feet!" Unfortunately Davies provided a memorable line for our downfall at the hands of Gazza in the 1991 FA Cup semi-final: "Is Gascoigne to have a crack? He is you know. Oh I say! Brilliant! That is schoolboy's own stuff!" :BangHead:
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SE13 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:59 am

SE13 wrote:
Gunflash wrote:Bjorge Lillelien (after Norway's 2-1 win over England in 1981) reeling of a list of famous English people culminating with:

"Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher...your boys took a hell of a beating!"

Lillelien was well known for his crazy commentaries and you have to admire his knowledge of historical English figures. I doubt if a British commentator would know who the Norwegian prime minister was. :lol:

Yeah, that was a classic, and I think it's floating around somewhere, I might trawl you tube a bit later.....

Classic!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Gunflash » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:41 pm

"Felipe Massa, with Lewis Hamilton coming home to take sixth place, is world champion. No! Lewis Hamilton's up to fifth! Lewis Hamilton has made it up to fifth by the end of the line! Ferrari think they've won it! Our timing screen says that's Lewis Hamilton's fifth and Timo Glock is sixth and there's confusion at Ferrari -- but I'll tell you what, the times say Lewis Hamilton is the winner."

- David Croft, 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix

Even though I watched the race on TV, hearing Croft's radio commentary later made the whole chaos even more dramatic.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Massa » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:50 pm

It seems you guys are missing something....

"Thomas, charging through the midfield... it's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!"
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby UFGN » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:39 pm

Irish Gunner 7 wrote:"Tony adams put through by Steve bould, would you believe it? That sums it all up , awesome Arsenal."
Arsenal(1998 league champions) 4-0 Everton :arsenal3: :arsenal3: :arsenal3:

Johnathon Pearce commentating on the same goal on radio

"What a goal, what a crowning glory"

**goosebumps**
Last edited by UFGN on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:41 pm

"It's only Ray Parlour..."
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:42 pm

Up For Grabs Now wrote:"What a goal, what a clowning glory"

**goosebumps**

Clowning....?
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:46 pm

"And he must have been, with that final bell surely, there can be no doubt! That Frank Bruno has won the World Heavyweight tital for Britain"

:pray: :pray: :pray:

:1990_dancing.gif:

f***ing brilliant. When the announcer says the word "New" and the whole of wembley stadium errupts
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:48 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Up For Grabs Now wrote:"What a goal, what a clowning glory"

**goosebumps**

Clowning....?

Solly. Collected.

UFGN

Postby Gunflash » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:58 pm

"Oh my goodness! This is fantastic!"
- Murray Walker, after Senna and Prost crashed at Suzuka in 1989
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Gunflash » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:31 pm

"To say that Leeds are playing with Southampton is the understatement of the season. Poor Southampton just don't know what day it is...oh look at that! It's almost cruel".

- Barry Davies, during Leeds's famous passing move against Southampton in 1972
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SE13 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:47 pm

Gunflash wrote:"To say that Leeds are playing with Southampton is the understatement of the season. Poor Southampton just don't know what day it is...oh look at that! It's almost cruel".

- Barry Davies, during Leeds's famous passing move against Southampton in 1972

Ah yes, before Fordy was born and Leeds were actually good. Twenty years later they take the title admittedly, but I'd say Fordy was the curse on Leeds, since he started supporting them they have been crap :grin:

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Waterfordgooner » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:52 pm

On Irish TV George Hamilton commentating about Emile Buetregueno being taken off during a world cup qualifier by the sanish manager

"I dont believe it he is pulling Buetregueno off he is pulling him off "

Those with a filthy mind - which was all of us in the pub on the night fell about the place laughing
Waterfordgooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports